Aircraft maint issues

Like I said. They're trying to get ahead of the curve because once the hiring sprees begin at all the majors the pool will get emptied fast. There are thousands of us leaving in the next 5-10 years . I'm not talking about 4 guys in your shop..
OK 1986Mekanic I have 2 points for you to consider.

Look, I know there are going to be a lot of "boomers" retiring.

I get it.

However they stated the same thing about truck drivers and look what happened, a bunch of people entered the field then all of the sudden wages are depressed.

They treat semi truck drivers like crap and do you know why? Because they are easily replaceable. Why? Because there are too damn many of them. Why? Because everyone read these articles that there was going to be a shortage so, thinking they could make bank, many rushed into the industry.

There is nothing in that scenario that suggest to me there was ever a shortage, only the facade of one to keep wages down in a country very dependent on truck drivers. Basically having low paid truck drivers benefits everyone in this country..... except the truck drivers of course. By the way I make those claims based on what the truck drivers themselves are saying, not just my perspective.

Can you entertain the idea that this "shortage" is manufactured to increase supply to control airline costs for the benefit of the flying public to the detriment of the airline mechanic?

If indeed there is a looming shortage, this is where being locked in a UNION contract screws you.

More to the point it's probably where it screws them because if what you say is true I am sure they (airlines in general) will offer an early out package to sell future mechanics out.

How do any of those 2 things (contracts and early out deals) entice future AMT's?

I can tell you the city of Tulsa funds education in the transportation sector. If there was ever a looming shortage in this city (which I doubt) the city of Tulsa would offer tax funded education opportunities at Tulsa Tech for students to get their A&P's and funnel them into TULE (Tulsa's biggest employer).

I believe when negotiations resume, it be leveraged and what's more, I believe the chances of an agreement are more likely and us at the top of the heap will pay the price for these new hires.

How can they leverage something they already announced they are doing? A little goodwill, yes, but certainly no negotiating leverage. And how will new hires negatively impact old guys?

Like I said. They're trying to get ahead of the curve because once the hiring sprees begin at all the majors the pool will get emptied fast. There are thousands of us leaving in the next 5-10 years . I'm not talking about 4 guys in your shop..
Yes. Many here at SWA will be gone in the next 3-5 years since we finally got our new contract too. Just hoping to build up my sick bank enough to leave 7 years earlier than 65 so I can turn it in for benefit coverage to 65.

How can they leverage something they already announced they are doing? A little goodwill, yes, but certainly no negotiating leverage. And how will new hires negatively impact old guys?
Kinda how i was looking at it too. If they get them hired in time to vote on the new contract, usually new hires will vote yes on the first offer to not cause any ruffles. The company would be able to hold out longer with 400 new hires in maint. as they are cheaper labor until top out in what 8-10 years at AA???
With AA hiring 400 for tulsa, SWA hiring now and boosting in 2020 and Delta also hiring great to see that mechanics out there will have some choices to pick from.

Reactions: 787nightmare
And all the olds should be voting yes because Time is working against you not for you at this point.

The reason Future Job Protection/Scope is a really bad hat to hang your contract on, is the market place will always win eventually and the company will out source more or less hire more or have layoffs based on what the market needs say. A onerous contract restriction just delays the inevitable.

Last edited:
Believe me when I tell you. Tulsa twu local 514 will want to add these guy to the rolls bad enough that the living will take a concession or 2 so they can get the unborn. We have seen these kinds of shenanigans with them countless times over the years.

What concessions?? A job guaranteed for life is not a concession in fact it's unprecedented. Your fears of future cuts don't affect you and are not based on facts. The company is hiring not contracting.

Yes. Many here at SWA will be gone in the next 3-5 years since we finally got our new contract too. Just hoping to build up my sick bank enough to leave 7 years earlier than 65 so I can turn it in for benefit coverage to 65.

Kinda how i was looking at it too. If they get them hired in time to vote on the new contract, usually new hires will vote yes on the first offer to not cause any ruffles. The company would be able to hold out longer with 400 new hires in maint. as they are cheaper labor until top out in what 8-10 years at AA???
With AA hiring 400 for tulsa, SWA hiring now and boosting in 2020 and Delta also hiring great to see that mechanics out there will have some choices to pick from.
OOPS! I forgot to mention Boeing also hiring mechanics now as well. They need many more for the return of the Max's to service.
Future airline and Boeing mechanics, place your bids, and choose the airline you wanna be with. Think long and hard, look at all info. I still will say that SWA would be the best choice of all of them. However, usually location outweighs companies in most cases. Good luck to all who apply to any companies...

What concessions?? A job guaranteed for life is not a concession in fact it's unprecedented. Your fears of future cuts don't affect you and are not based on facts. The company is hiring not contracting.
Is it not a job for the life of contract? Not job for life?? Just asking.

Latest posts