Aircraft maint issues

Right... from the past. That is why I said "blast from the past".

They have not power backed as far as I know for years.

Also does American Airlines even run MD-80's anymore? Funny how when I worked there just a few short years ago they were the workhorse of American Airlines and now they are desert fodder (or wherever they sent them). Shows you how fast things can change.

Thought it might be fun to see again.

If it does not interest you then just move on.
Not being mean or anything, but, pretty boring actually. I know about the history, C'mon. I understand the "blast from the past" but it really was just very normal thing to do to back out of a gate, or other areas. I know you are not a mechanic, so you are more excited about events like that, but, really just an everyday event, especially for the mechanics as they always play, and have fun with those options with the 80's.

Not being mean or anything, but, pretty boring actually. I know about the history, C'mon. I understand the "blast from the past" but it really was just very normal thing to do to back out of a gate, or other areas. I know you are not a mechanic, so you are more excited about events like that, but, really just an everyday event, especially for the mechanics as they always play, and have fun with those options with the 80's.
You are right that I was not a mechanic but more relevant I worked at TULE, a maintenance base, and not an airport so my opportunities to see that were non existent. But I can understand for you why it might be a mundane thing.

Reactions: swamt
Thought you guys might enjoy a bit of a blast from the past to relieve the stress of this thread.

It is an American Airlines MD-80 power backing.

Loolylaa
Lots of peoples ears are destroyed from those freakin things, just so AA could save a few bucks on tractors. I say good riddance...

Loolylaa
Lots of peoples ears are destroyed from those freakin things, just so AA could save a few bucks on tractors. I say good riddance...
That's what happens when you don't wear your hearing protection. No difference if you have three air starts on a 757 or 777 running. No difference if your receiving a inbound. Lots of noise on the ramp.

Could a possible deal be coming soon? Update (if ya wanna call it that, still no details as usual) has been posted. Future dates set IF NEEDED, hmmmmm.

Sisters and Brothers,

Talks continue by phone between the Association Leadership and American Airlines in reaching a JCBA. As such, we wanted to update the membership and dispel a false narrative, speculation and rumors some may be spreading.

We are set to meet again with the NMB on Wednesday, January 29, 2020 at 10:00AM through the close of business on Friday, January 31, 2020. We are hopeful these dates with the NMB will not be necessary, however, if needed they will be utilized.

Further information will be provided as it becomes available.

That's what happens when you don't wear your hearing protection. No difference if you have three air starts on a 757 or 777 running. No difference if your receiving a inbound. Lots of noise on the ramp.
I dont believe anything on that ramp to be louder then a jt8 power back. Also, lots of folks could get caught by surprise if they were focused elsewhere and not directly involved in the pwrback. For example, some one up in an e&e bay or maybe driving by on a nice day. Dozens of examples could be found. Or working on a problem where hearing protection inhibits troubleshooting or communication.

Bottom line, damage done, folks dont wear ear protectors 100% of the time.

The company could have eliminated all risk by purchasing tractors.

1AA , you surprise me, of all people, you sound like a company guy, blaming the workers instead putting the blame where it belongs and that is with th jokers thst ran the place.

I dont believe anything on that ramp to be louder then a jt8 power back. Also, lots of folks could get caught by surprise if they were focused elsewhere and not directly involved in the pwrback. For example, some one up in an e&e bay or maybe driving by on a nice day. Dozens of examples could be found. Or working on a problem where hearing protection inhibits troubleshooting or communication.

Bottom line, damage done, folks dont wear ear protectors 100% of the time.

The company could have eliminated all risk by purchasing tractors.

1AA , you surprise me, of all people, you sound like a company guy, blaming the workers instead putting the blame where it belongs and that is with th jokers thst ran the place.
Hearing protection is exactly that. Hearing protection. The ones that cover your ears not those useless ear plugs. I'm not blaming the workers, you put those words out. I replied about hearing protection for the workers while out on the ramp exposed to loud noises.

I'm talking about maintenance guys on the ramp mostly cant function with "hearing protectors". If you been there, you know what I mean.

The best you can do is plugs and a set of Clark's, we all know that. but sometimes its not all there... and those cases, fingers for christ sake..

Hearing protection is exactly that. Hearing protection. The ones that cover your ears not those useless ear plugs. I'm not blaming the workers, you put those words out. I replied about hearing protection for the workers while out on the ramp exposed to loud noises.

The most effective hearing protection is the one you'll actually wear. Earplugs may not work for you, but others swear by them (and vice versa).

I'm talking about maintenance guys on the ramp mostly cant function with "hearing protectors". If you been there, you know what I mean.

The best you can do is plugs and a set of Clark's, we all know that. but sometimes its not all there... and those cases, fingers for christ sake..
Sorry but I and others in Aircraft Maintenance use hearing protection headsets instead of the plugs. Some use plugs. I have never had issues using headset hearing protection. Personal preference. Use what you wish. We have choices. I chose mine and you choose yours. I'm done on this issue. No relevance to the topic.

What are Clark's?

The most effective hearing protection is the one you'll actually wear. Earplugs may not work for you, but others swear by them (and vice versa).

Absolute best hearing protection is the plugs and the ear muffs over the ears. Wearing both does way better than just one. It doesn't double the db's reduction but it does increase it a bunch and better than just one being used.

Guys I attempted to research if there is noise canceling technology that can be used as hearing protection.

I found ONE company that makes them specifically for military personnel working on flight decks but the entry for the digital hearing protection seems to be error 404 (non existent).

https://gentexcorp.com/aegisound/

I then found this entry that said the DANR (Digital Active Noise Reduction) has been discontinued.

https://gentexcorp.com/aegisound-danr/

Were they discontinued because digital noise reduction is ineffective? Were they too expensive to manufacture? I assume this technology is similar to noise canceling headphones one might use to listen to music but it seems to me that using an inverse waveform (that is a sound wave produced at the opposite polarity of the audible noise) at that decibel level would do more harm than good.

Anybody have any expertise regarding digital noise protection?