Aircraft Moves

Topcat187

Senior
Jun 25, 2012
A while back, I was hearing talk of the IBT giving up aircraft moves. Has anything developed on this issue?

A while back, I was hearing talk of the IBT giving up aircraft moves. Has anything developed on this issue?

The teamsters already admitted to meeting with UAL management over the proposal to give up the work, and as it is clearly in the IAM TA it would seem the agreement has been made.

Interestingly enough, the meeting with UAL management WASN"T explained to the UAL membership, it was covered in a response to teamster back-door-deals during the ibts failed scam attempt at American.

Word is the ibt will float our TA once the IAM ratifies. Should prove interesting.

If the A/C moves are given up,the company may not cut the overall headcount, but you can count on a loss of day/afternoon jobs. Most A/C moves are done utilizing these shifts, not my idea of good representation!

What "moves" do you guys do? At AA we do moves that are for maintenance only, not live trips. AA took that in 1983. They could have the baggage handlers do all of them but they found it was not worth it.  As far as the heads, they still had to man the trips, but after the ETOPs, PS and items were done mechanics went inside and watched TV instead of hooking up a tractor and waiting to push it out. It increased downtime more than it eliminated heads in the big stations but decimated the mechanics in the small stations, it also increased response time for gate calls, but increased down time is not necessarily a good thing, decimation of the small stations is clearly a bad thing. Too much down time makes the guys feel vulnerable.

You are right to fight for the work, but even if you yield on that issue in favor of keeping benefits that retain value such as time off with pay and health benefits, unless doing that work keeps stations staffed with mechanics that otherwise would not be, the impact to mechanic headcount probably will be minimal. In a PEB situation you would likely have a hard time defending keeping mechanics doing Moves but if you give it up you can cite that as a major move towards the company to the PEB. How much of a dollar value did they place on it?  If you give that concession for a gain that keeps its value it may be worth it, assuming you already lost that work in smaller stations. We gave it up, but as usual got nothing to show for it.

Negative Thomas Paine, You are referring to the push-backs that UA nor AA do anymore. Aircraft moves are when a plane needs a brake rider, they could use a ramp guy and not an AMT. If the IBT gives this up, I believe it would be an industry first, and then you can add it to the list (de-icing, push-backs etc). NO MORE LOST WORK!!!!!!