Feb 6, 2008
ord
https://onemileatatime.com/american-airlines-retiring-737-a330/

Retiring

767/757
A330-300
Emb-190
76 737-800

surprised the older A320s aren’t listed. I would suggest come October the junior guys prepare themselves for a lay-off or being bumped, especially the junior DFW guys, seems like juniority is over with this new contract.

I think we are all hoping that traffic picks up over the summer enough where the executives aren’t forced to downsize workforce. The junior guys are top quality I would hate to see them go anywhere.

To be fair, it's 145 airplanes they already planned to retire, and in a normal market would still have some resale value.

Hopefully it turns around quick.

Nothing happens quick in the airline industry!

“We believe that a complete recovery in traffic by the fourth quarter could be optimistic, and that it may take until the second quarter of 2021 at the earliest for traffic to return to normal.”.....Barron's

it took us a couple years to fully recover after 9/11 and SARS, so..... 4Q ain't gonna happen.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-airlines-retiring-737-a330/

Retiring

767/757
A330-300
Emb-190
76 737-800

surprised the older A320s aren’t listed. I would suggest come October the junior guys prepare themselves for a lay-off or being bumped, especially the junior DFW guys, seems like juniority is over with this new contract.

I think we are all hoping that traffic picks up over the summer enough where the executives aren’t forced to downsize workforce. The junior guys are top quality I would hate to see them go anywhere.

It all depends upon what the public will allow. If the airlines try to collect on the government money and then layoff employees, I think the fury of the public will result in some empty chairs at the highest level of management. The government money stipulates no layoffs and I don't think the public is going to appreciate any company that decides to play the public for fools.

It all depends upon what the public will allow. If the airlines try to collect on the government money and then layoff employees, I think the fury of the public will result in some empty chairs at the highest level of management. The government money stipulates no layoffs and I don't think the public is going to appreciate any company that decides to play the public for fools.
No layoffs until September is what the deal is about. Both the Government and airlines hope things return close to normal by then. Talk of another stimulus plan for the airlines is floating around the internet. My guess is to keep things going past September if the industry keeps going in the current direction.

no lay-offs for 6 months.

Jim, there are limits to how long the "public" is going to tolerate having airline workers getting special treatment while Uber drivers, workers in retail, construction, hotels, etc. are still unable to return to their pre-Corona lifestyles.

Six months of subsidy is pretty generous. It's better than what most companies offer as severance in the best of times, and it's fair enough warning and time for those at the bottom of the seniority lists to get their affairs in order and to find a Plan B.

Since layoffs for non-union folks tend to be on need (performance to a far lesser degree), it's a huge unknown as to who stays or goes come October. I've heard from lots of folks who are actively looking to change industries before then. Healthcare is hiring like crazy, and I suspect some of the things like pharma and medical manufacturing that went offshore will be coming back. The skills your average HDQ critter has are easily applicable in another industry -- finance is finance, IT is IT, HR is HR.

Pilots will manage to keep flying for the most part, mechanics have found the same ability to jump industries, but it's going to be harder for the customer facing folks...

No layoffs until September is what the deal is about. Both the Government and airlines hope things return close to normal by then. Talk of another stimulus plan for the airlines is floating around the internet. My guess is to keep things going past September if the industry keeps going in the current direction.

If the airlines collect millions of dollars in financial help then layoff a bunch of people, I don't think what "the deal is about" is going to matter much to the public. The airline's bottoms are still red from their using the last batch of recovery money to buy back a bunch of stock--even Wall Street did not approve of that move. The public just didn't buy the "oh it was just a coincidence that the airline management's compensation was primarily, if not completely, in the form of stock" alibi.

And from what active flight attendants are telling me about working on empty airplanes and cancellations, the airlines may not survive until September. Friend of mine worked an STL-DFW-CUN day with 4 passengers on the CUN leg (the money shot). Their flight back was cancelled so they had to deadhead back to DFW. Flight back to STL cancelled. The crew ended up spending 40 hours in a Ft. Worth hotel before deadheading back to STL She said it was pretty much typical of her schedules lately.

The airline's bottoms are still red from their using the last batch of recovery money to buy back a bunch of stock--even Wall Street did not approve of that move. The public just didn't buy the "oh it was just a coincidence that the airline management's compensation was primarily, if not completely, in the form of stock" alibi.

And from what active flight attendants are telling me about working on empty airplanes and cancellations, the airlines may not survive until September. Friend of mine worked an STL-DFW-CUN day with 4 passengers on the CUN leg (the money shot). Their flight back was cancelled so they had to deadhead back to DFW. Flight back to STL cancelled. The crew ended up spending 40 hours in a Ft. Worth hotel before deadheading back to STL She said it was pretty much typical of her schedules lately.

- as far as i know, the airlines did not get 'bailed out' in 2008-2009 during the great financial crisis. so, no 'bailout' money to use on stock buy-backs.

the airlines were helped after 9-11.

as far as the airlines not surviving - more than once, trump and pence have stated that the govt. won't allow airlines to collapse, numerous politicians have stated that a stimulus #4 and #5 (if necessary) will happen in a heartbeat to help the economy and yesterday, the secretary of the treasury was asked about the airlines.

mnuchin's reply was: "the airlines can't collapse because it's a national security issue".

all this tells me that aa and just about everyone else will be around. the question of lay-offs and pay/benefit cuts will hopefully be solved by a future stimulus, if needed.

the banks and auto-makers didn't lose any sleep over getting funds in 2008-2009 and i won't lose any sleep because someone begrudges me working for an airline. the airlines were paying $140/bbl oil in 2008..no one gave a damn (especially shell, exxon, bp and chevon shareholders) that we couldn't get raises or steady our balance sheets due to high oil for over a decade.

If the airlines collect millions of dollars in financial help then layoff a bunch of people, I don't think what "the deal is about" is going to matter much to the public. The airline's bottoms are still red from their using the last batch of recovery money to buy back a bunch of stock--even Wall Street did not approve of that move. The public just didn't buy the "oh it was just a coincidence that the airline management's compensation was primarily, if not completely, in the form of stock" alibi.

yesterday clt-aus they unloaded 2 bags.

Read an interesting article today from an aviation expert as to how this industry will look after all this and based on what he said AA might be in better shape than most by just being who they have been over the last few years.
He makes the comment that the premium passenger will be the last to come back because they will be less likely to travel as much due to teleconferencing
That leisure travel will come back quicker.
More people will look for price over product and that narrow body long hauls will be more common.
So Doug and his boys may accidentally have stumbled right into this and come out stronger.
Imagine that

Read an interesting article today from an aviation expert as to how this industry will look after all this and based on what he said AA might be in better shape than most by just being who they have been over the last few years.
He makes the comment that the premium passenger will be the last to come back because they will be less likely to travel as much due to teleconferencing
That leisure travel will come back quicker.
More people will look for price over product and that narrow body long hauls will be more common.
So Doug and his boys may accidentally have stumbled right into this and come out stronger.
Imagine that

The 321XLR will be our new wide long hauler, hopefully AA will make it through this calamity.

Last edited: