Aircraft Retirements

No one should be panicking, but everyone should absolutely be planning for a life post AA/DL/UA/WN... Save that cash, polish that resume...
That is all I have been saying, have a plan B, just in case.

People have the benefit of having time to prepare, I just hope they take advantage of it.

i don't understand here. all the airlines have debt. how can it be perceived that the govt. is maintaining aa at the expense of the taxpayer, but other airlines are not maintained at the expense of the taxpayer?

again, what the govt. has done and what they are saying - the airline industry won't be allowed to collapse, it's a national security issue.
I never said other airlines taking grants and loans were not being maintained at the expense of the taxpayer.

What I said is American Airlines has a VERY HIGH debt load.

With all due respect, this is kind of thinking is lulling people into a false sense of security. None of the Big 3 are too big to fail.

Some fairly big and historical institutions were allowed to fail back in the 2008 financial collapse.

i don't understand here. all the airlines have debt. how can it be perceived that the govt. is maintaining aa at the expense of the taxpayer, but other airlines are not maintained at the expense of the taxpayer?

The government may very well find itself in a position where it has to pick winners and losers. Pan Am and TWA were both allowed to collapse. If you'd have said that in 1979, people would have laughed at you.

again, what the govt. has done and what they are saying - the airline industry won't be allowed to collapse, it's a national security issue.

Others have said it, I'll repeat it: the industry as a whole will survive, but individual airlines may not.

There are very few domestic destinations served *only* by one airline, and national security isn't hurt if Omaha loses nonstop service to Dallas but maintains connecting service via Houston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Oklahoma City, etc. It's also easy to have one carrier cease service and replace it with another. Again, look at what happened to TW and PA.

Last edited:
That is all I have been saying, have a plan B, just in case.

People have the benefit of having time to prepare, I just hope they take advantage of it.
Please remember that not all have the time to prepare as we do in the aviation industry (airlines) as we have been given a 6 month repreve for now, if ya will. A lot of people got the axe right up front and immediately with no warnings hardly whatsoever.
If people like us do not take advantage of the said "time" then that's on them. Since around Feb. I have been stashing even extra amounts of cash, hoping to have my goal done in another 3 months then just keep adding to that as much as possible. Changed from my usual of paying off credit cards, to only applying minimum payments, stopped all non essential monthly bills, subscriptions, and luxury items to hoard all available cash. If I receive the 2 checks from the gov. I will reach my goal in about 4 months total. I only hope all of us are doing this.
He's another thought; how many are thinking about taking the leave to help out their co.? Think twice about it folks. Instead of taking the partial pay, keep working and stashing away that extra cash as this could quite possibly go longer than Sep. and get very, very ugly.

With all due respect, this is kind of thinking is lulling people into a false sense of security. None of the Big 3 are too big to fail.

And, you are dealing with a vindictive President who might decide that since Doug Parker's next door neighbor's sister voted for Hillary, AA deserves no help. (See also the many spite firings that have occurred in this regime.)

it took us a couple years to fully recover after 9/11 and SARS, so..... 4Q ain't gonna happen.
And this is much worse than 9-11. TSA seemed to calm people down but with corona virus, there are so many ways it can be transmitted and it seems to have a long life on many surfaces.

Please remember that not all have the time to prepare as we do in the aviation industry (airlines) as we have been given a 6 month repreve for now, if ya will. A lot of people got the axe right up front and immediately with no warnings hardly whatsoever.
If people like us do not take advantage of the said "time" then that's on them. Since around Feb. I have been stashing even extra amounts of cash, hoping to have my goal done in another 3 months then just keep adding to that as much as possible. Changed from my usual of paying off credit cards, to only applying minimum payments, stopped all non essential monthly bills, subscriptions, and luxury items to hoard all available cash. If I receive the 2 checks from the gov. I will reach my goal in about 4 months total. I only hope all of us are doing this.
He's another thought; how many are thinking about taking the leave to help out their co.? Think twice about it folks. Instead of taking the partial pay, keep working and stashing away that extra cash as this could quite possibly go longer than Sep. and get very, very ugly.
Well it is up to the individual what they do with the time.

I got laid off in November and still had to finish out school. That was 6 months of schooling without the benefit of employment. I chose to make good use of the time I had left at American Airlines. I had actually planned it out far before I started school but I had to wait for the school year to begin.

Well it is up to the individual what they do with the time.

I got laid off in November and still had to finish out school. That was 6 months of schooling without the benefit of employment. I chose to make good use of the time I had left at American Airlines. I had actually planned it out far before I started school but I had to wait for the school year to begin.
Agree it's up to them.
No disrespect, but do not care what happened to you and AA back in the days, it's totally different now and no comparo. Would you just stop with comparing your issue with AA with what we are currently dealing with? We really don't give 2 shites about what happened to you way back when at AA. And I do know about relatives working currently at AA, but that has nothing to do with when YOU worked there. Who cares about you at AA anymore? Again, no disrespect, I just speak my mind and no sugar coating... :)

Don't let it get to ya, they should stay in the Water Cooler area where they belong.

Agree it's up to them.
No disrespect, but do not care what happened to you and AA back in the days, it's totally different now and no comparo. Would you just stop with comparing your issue with AA with what we are currently dealing with? We really don't give 2 shites about what happened to you way back when at AA. And I do know about relatives working currently at AA, but that has nothing to do with when YOU worked there. Who cares about you at AA anymore? Again, no disrespect, I just speak my mind and no sugar coating... :)
Fair enough if you could not care less but let me tell you something, job loss is job loss. Believe me, involuntary job loss feels the same regardless of the conditions.

I will also say you are right that no one at AA cares about me anymore (other than my wife of course) but that does not mean that preparing a plan B is bad advice. There WILL be job loss. People need to accept that reality.

Agree it's up to them.

Swaamt, some might equally question why a WN mechanic's opinions about what's going on at AA matter...

Agree it's up to them.
Who is this directed toward?

Fair enough if you could not care less but let me tell you something, job loss is job loss. Believe me, involuntary job loss feels the same regardless of the conditions.

I will also say you are right that no one at AA cares about me anymore (other than my wife of course) but that does not mean that preparing a plan B is bad advice. There WILL be job loss. People need to accept that reality.
Yes, involuntary job loss could be and some is devastating, totally agree. How they deal with it and respond to it determines how they come out of it. Having a plan B is never bad advice, in good times or in bad. I also agree with you that the job losses are coming (in airline industry) which why I say take this time now (as well as previously) to better prepare for what is coming.
I wish you and your wife well and the best. According to some of your postings I believe your wife has a pretty good amount of time with the company, she should ok wouldn't she? Most co's usually go by seniority and/or performances rather union or non-union.

Swaamt, some might equally question why a WN mechanic's opinions about what's going on at AA matter...
Valid question E. But most will agree that the airline world is very small and all airlines share as well as do the same thru-out when it comes to times like these. So in a nutshell, like to keep all airlines within the loop of what is really going on within the ranks at all airlines, industry sharing and comparing. Most of it all started with contracts and sharing what the industry was doing, it has now reached out again during this Corvid-19 crisis, and will be challenged within all the airlines once again.