Alaska Air Fleet Count ?

Those MD-80's have been around a while. I flew on one last week and it seemed in good shape. What's the average age.

They're mostly fairly young, as far as MD-80s go. Aside from three that date from 1985 (probably Jet America legacies), the other 23 range from 1990 to 1997.

It isn't hard to find.

http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/company/Fleet/Fleet.asp

739: 12
738: 2
73G: 22
734: 40
732: 7
M80: 26
CR7: 19
DH8: 18
DH4: 28

Whoops! Someone left off that Alaska also flies one Salmon:

737-400_Salmon.jpg

It is interesting to note that AS/Horizon is the only US operator of the DH4 and they seem very pleased with it. Can anyone tell me if they left the noise cancelling system operational or did they disable it like US did on the three DH8-Q200's they have?

I think the DH4 would be very successful at US East..kind of like "Try it you'll like it". I think the operating economics are well suited for the east.

Any comments?

It is interesting to note that AS/Horizon is the only US operator of the DH4 and they seem very pleased with it. Can anyone tell me if they left the noise cancelling system operational or did they disable it like US did on the three DH8-Q200's they have?

I think the DH4 would be very successful at US East..kind of like "Try it you'll like it". I think the operating economics are well suited for the east.

Any comments?

I agree that it's a great A/C for the East Coast. I'm pretty sure that they have the noise cancelling systems still "on." I know awhile ago, they used it as a selling point in radio ads (and free beer inflight!).

======================================================

Would someone compare the 739 + 73G to the 738, in terms of capacity and range ??

And perhaps "ideal" routes for the "9" + "G".

Many thanx,

NH/BB's

The AS 738 has 16F/144Y with the "new" slimline seating. I have only flown it in First; I have heard from FA's that Y is like a "sardine can". AS acquired the 738's for the longest routes (e.g. SEA-MCO) because the 739 was having range issues.

I believe that the 739 is 16F/156Y and is used primarily for transcons, but is sometimes weight restricted for the longer routes.

Finally, the 73G has 12F/112Y with the slimline seating. It is not bad and is used for shorter transcons (SEA-BOS/EWR/IAD, e.g.). But 5 hours on a 73G can be nerve-wracking.

On the whole, AS is trying to tailor their fleet to their routes, which is a great idea for the long term survival of AS.

The AS 738 has 16F/144Y with the "new" slimline seating. I have only flown it in First; I have heard from FA's that Y is like a "sardine can". AS acquired the 738's for the longest routes (e.g. SEA-MCO) because the 739 was having range issues.

I believe that the 739 is 16F/156Y and is used primarily for transcons, but is sometimes weight restricted for the longer routes.

Finally, the 73G has 12F/112Y with the slimline seating. It is not bad and is used for shorter transcons (SEA-BOS/EWR/IAD, e.g.). But 5 hours on a 73G can be nerve-wracking.

On the whole, AS is trying to tailor their fleet to their routes, which is a great idea for the long term survival of AS.

I've been thinking about Industry consolidation a lot now that it looks like Midwest is now willing to consider Airtran's takeover offer. It leaves me wondering what other smaller regional carriers are out there that could be targets. Then I started think about SY (Sun Country). They fly some very new 738's do a lot of seasonal Carribean and Mexican service and their east and west coast cities would mesh well with AS. Also AS having a hub in MSP would give you more presence east of the Rockies. I don't know if they are a public or private company but it seems to me like it would be a good fit.

Latest posts