Alaska Airlines new hire = nicotine test?

CO738

Advanced
May 13, 2007
IAH
I was looking at a head-hunter website. They had an opening with AS in a feild office. I am interested in applying for the job. The job does not include flying/being on a plane/being at the airport. However, it states that you must "pass a nicotine test" before being hired... What is a nicotine test, and why is it relevant to an accounting possition??

Whlinder is correct (it's 6 mos.).

The reason (I believe) has to do with their insurance coverage.

I have heard that the test is administered by taking a piece of your hair and using that to test, but that info is/was 3rd hand, so take it for what it's worth...

Sure it is.

It is a "drug test" after all.

From a legal standpoint, I would imagine that they can do it since it's a condition of employment. If someone doesn't want to do it, then they don't apply.

Is this serious?? I have never heard of this.
Is that legal??

There are those who say they have a "right" to smoke. Yes, they do. And, companies have a right not to hire them in order to hold down their insurance costs.

There was a case a few years ago where a woman was fired after she was photographed in a bar on the weekend smoking. No, no one was following her. It was like a society page photo of a bar frequented by the in crowd of that city.

Her company had a Smoke Free Staff policy, and they fired her. She sued and lost big time. The EEOC would not even talk to her because the reason for her firing violated no Civil Rights laws.

True, must be a non-smoker.

As far as pulling a hair, I'd heard that as well but when my time came, it was just the standard "whiz in a cup" pre-employment testing.

There are those who say they have a "right" to smoke. Yes, they do. And, companies have a right not to hire them in order to hold down their insurance costs.

There was a case a few years ago where a woman was fired after she was photographed in a bar on the weekend smoking. No, no one was following her. It was like a society page photo of a bar frequented by the in crowd of that city.

Her company had a Smoke Free Staff policy, and they fired her. She sued and lost big time. The EEOC would not even talk to her because the reason for her firing violated no Civil Rights laws.

That's because they are covered by Health Canada (the Canadian feds) not AS's private group insurance.

I guess what I am asking is: are all tobacco products banned at AS or just cigarettes? The accounting position is still open, by the way.

Latest posts