Alaska Fires All Their Sea Rampers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kev3188 said:
They took AS to court yesterday.....
[post="270485"][/post]​

==================================================

Kev,

With US and AW set to announce their "nuptuals" wed-thur, my first instinct was to envision AS "buffing" themselfs up for a partner !!

It's would be NW or AA.

NW would be, on one hand, the geographically logical choice, but then again, AA has loooong been "rolling in the hay" with AS.(similiar to the cozy arraingement of BIG RED, and CO)

From a union standpoint, this would be a better "no brainer" than TW, for AA.

Every AS union is different than AA, which would mean a nonstop trip, to the "back of the bus"

This should prove interesting !!

NH/BB's

Don't expect the IAM do win anything. I would expect the fate of these IAM Members to be the same as the IAM Maintenance Members at USAirways when the Company Shut down the Tampa Hanger. S O L , Sorry but you get the representation you pay for. In this case with the IAM, not much. As long as CockRoache is getting paid, don't expect much help from the ONION !!!

Alaska Air workers fuming

Dozens of union members and supporters stood outside the Museum of Flight yesterday afternoon, carrying signs denouncing Alaska Airlines management for recent job losses and pay cuts.

Inside the museum, Alaska Air Group CEO Bill Ayer oversaw a nearly two-hour annual shareholders meeting that included much of the same, without the signs. At times workers who stepped up to address the executives on stage became emotional while describing their unhappiness with the airline.

North by Northwest said:
I'll NEVER spend another penny on that airline EVER! :down:
[post="272145"][/post]​

And just how often do you spend money on a competitor?...

There hasn't been an injuction, so that tells me there it must have been permitted under the contract.

And if it was permitted in the contract, well, you can't blame the company for following what the IAM agreed to...

Former ModerAAtor said:
And just how often do you spend money on a competitor?...

There hasn't been an injuction, so that tells me there it must have been permitted under the contract.

And if it was permitted in the contract, well, you can't blame the company for following what the IAM agreed to...
[post="272313"][/post]​

The concession amounts increased with each request and the offers got progressively worse. ( sounds like a certain airline in BK ) It was definately bad-faith bargaining and a win-win scenario to the company whichever way the ramp workers voted: Vote it in, and they lose their jobs within 4 years while working under draconian terms with the company reaping a windfall. Vote it out, and they lose their jobs.

The whole issue discussed is of ethics. ( not what is "legal" )

High Iron said:
The concession amounts increased with each request and the offers got progressively worse. ( sounds like a certain airline in BK ) It was definately bad-faith bargaining and a win-win scenario to the company whichever way the ramp workers voted: Vote it in, and they lose their jobs within 4 years while working under draconian terms with the company reaping a windfall. Vote it out, and they lose their jobs.
[post="272375"][/post]​

Draconian conditions? Try "the same everyone else is working under" conditions.

Sure, the concession amounts increased. It was during a timeframe where fuel was continuing to rise, and at the same time, the contracts at UA and US were gutted, which stood to make ALK uncompetitive on a cost basis.

You claim the company was bargaining in bad faith. So did ALPA. Yet, the arbitrator agreed with the company, ordering cuts which were twice the size of what the company was seeking. That tells me the union was the one being unrealistic in their negotiation position.

Not knowing the details of what the various offers were between the IAM and the company, I don't know if it was bad faith bargaining, but I will say it appears that there was a game of chicken being played...

High Iron said:
The whole issue discussed is of ethics. ( not what is "legal" )
[post="272375"][/post]​

It's ironic... Whenever a union uses technicalities to get someone reinstated for timecard fraud, sleeping on the job, harassment, etc, the term "ethics" never seems to be used by the union.

So, why is it that when the company uses the contract to their advantage, ethics all of the sudden come into play?....

"
Not knowing the details of what the various offers were between the IAM and the company, I don't know if it was bad faith bargaining
"

Why not just say this at the beginning of the post? It would preclude the need for your korporate bombast.

Draconian conditions? Try "the same everyone else is working under" conditions.

Yeah, "what everyone else is". Quite illustrative of the power of corporate plunder...and incrementalism. Sounds more like a forced/managed paradigm shift.

You claim the company was bargaining in bad faith.

Yes I do. When you knowingly "offer" a lose-lose situation, equally benefitting from a rejection or acceptance, that's bad-faith bargaining. They did not want a deal....they wanted a revolt.

It's ironic... Whenever a union uses technicalities to get someone reinstated for timecard fraud, sleeping on the job, harassment, etc, the term "ethics" never seems to be used by the union.

Prop up strawman....knock down strawman..."win debate". I see. Because I'm opposed to bad-faith bargaining that would mean: 1) I support the above behavior 2) Bad behavior by some ( alleged or otherwise...due-process you know ) justifys even worse "behavior" against all. Interesting world you live in.

So, why is it that when the company uses the contract to their advantage, ethics all of the sudden come into play?....

No no no. Much broader sense. An all-out assault on airline employees in sychronicity, on all fronts in all capacities. It's all the rage. Get the licks in while they can...now or never.

Status
Not open for further replies.