Alitalia nears bankruptcy as staff rejects rescue plan

Discussion in 'Foreign Airlines' started by jimntx, Apr 25, 2017.

1. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

IIRC, it would be 15 days from the offering date. I don't know if yesterday was the offering date. With Ryanair moving into FCO with a semi-hub operation, I think that lowers the interest for most potential buyers. Ryanair is hard to compete with on short and medium haul flights. And, most of the business that they will take is the intra-Italy business. There is a LOT of competition in the International arena. Italy, and specifically Rome, Florence and Venice are well-served by several airlines already.

2. swamt

swamt Veteran

Ok. Thx for the info.

3. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Now, this is typical of Alitalia employee unions. The airline is up for sale. No other airline/company/individual has publicly expressed interest in purchasing the airline. What do the unions do? They declare a one-day strike on same day as Italian ATC employees are striking. Do they think that someone (the government) is going to force some entity to buy the airline so that the employees will still have jobs?
    I think this strike is more designed to give the Alitalia workers a day off with pay than to accomplish any typical union goal for its members.

http://atwonline.com/labor/alitalia...m=email&elq2=b826cf6b68b94cd2adb7201279417268

4. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Brief update: Ran across an on-line news article (dated mid-May) from an Italian newspaper. It said that the Bankruptcy officials expect final bids (for the sale) in October. Wonder if they think there will be a bidding war? :rolleyes: As far as I can find, other corporations and airlines are left in a state of indifference approaching the supernatural when the subject of purchasing Alitalia comes up.:D

5. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Evidently people on this board are not getting migraines over this subject either. :p

6. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

7. FrugalFlyerv2.0

FrugalFlyerv2.0 Veteran

Looks like Ryanair wants some piece(s) of AZ.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...dc9a7af29f9_story.html?utm_term=.03790cb31a3a

8. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

It will be interesting to see how the Ryanair thing works out if they actually purchase part of the airline. Notice O'leary said "Alitalia employees interested in working for Ryanair will have to work harder and strikes will not be tolerated." Alitalia employees have traditionally struck (if only for a few hours) if the wind changed direction.

9. swamt

swamt Veteran

I could see Ryanair picking only the parts that best suit them. A way for an LCC to grow quickly? This will be interesting going forward. Kind of wondering if Ryanair sat back to see if there would be any others to bid against.