All Delta flights grounded due to computer outage

topDawg said:

Sorry to hear that Jim. 
Oh, I think that she was more bothered by the agents telling her there were no seats available without even looking at their computers, and then doing something after they found out that she knew that what they were telling wasn't so.  But, we've ALL experienced incidents like that, haven't we.

topDawg said:
Hope you haven't been working during this bro. I have heard ACS management has been doing more to work against everyone than help. 

On vacation, thankfully. I've certainly heard the same thing(s), though...

My flight was okay. Delayed for inbound crew (0330 departure for the win!), but the agent working it was a guy I used to work with, so it was nice to see him...

hopefully a certain labor hating COO will lose his job too. (can I get a second? Kev?) 
There is no accountability here... :(

Reactions: 1 person
jimntx said:
My sister-in-law had to fly DL yesterday.  Not good.
1.  Got up at 3am, checked computer, flight from HSV-ATL is a go.
2.  Drove 50+ miles to HSV to be told on arrival that the flight was cancelled.  No seats available from HSV or BHM.
3.  She checked computer from her phone.  Seats available on BHM-ATL.
4.  Asked HSV agent again about availability.  When told computer said seats available, agent suddenly found a seat and switched her to the BHM flight.
5. Drove 100 miles to BHM.  At BHM she was assured she would make her connection to ATL-SEA flight.
6.  At ATL at approx. 9am, told SEA flight cancelled.
7.  Finally left ATL for SEA at 5pm.
This MAY have qualified as a good time to try a D3!!!

eolesen said:
Yep. They looked at the ratio of what AA was sending to DL, and VV, and decided they needed to raise the price AA was paying.The problem was that the number crunchers couldn't predict the future...What DL did was cancel their flood insurance because they hadn't seen a flood in years.Oh, there are seats available.I've heard from a dozen or so nonrevs at different airlines who couldn't fly their own airline because of DL (some got home on WN and AA **BECAUSE** DL didn't have agreements with them)
Except where I was trying to commute on WN they were SO open with seats that they were selling them for $79 and when the $hit show started and they were at the airport, people jumped all over the $79 non stop! Oh, well. I then managed to get on Delta to work as by then everyone said F' it and there were seats. On arrival though, OH HOLY LORD!!!!!!! It was really hard to get off the jetbridges as people were EVERYWHERE and there literally was no place to go. The agents had to plow a path for us. Completely crazy!!!

Kev3188 said:
On vacation, thankfully. I've certainly heard the same thing(s), though...
which is why I said the COO should be walking.

You don't win JD power awards when you have IROPS and management goes to crap. I'm not going to blame a switch going bad (then catching fire) on anyone, but the reaction could have been done a lot better.

Kev3188 said:
My flight was okay. Delayed for inbound crew (0330 departure for the win!), but the agent working it was a guy I used to work with, so it was nice to see him...
Thankfully everyone I knew who was out flying has basically said the same as you. I did have a few people crash at my house for a night or two. (more so because once the airline was up non-reving became impossible)

Kev3188 said:
There is no accountability here... :(
We will see. I'm betting someone has to fall on a sword for this one. I've seen projections over $100M loss for the issue. Can't see Wall street and the BOD letting it slide.

Reactions: 2 people
IORFA said:
Except where I was trying to commute on WN they were SO open with seats that they were selling them for $79 and when the #### show started and they were at the airport, people jumped all over the $79 non stop! Oh, well. I then managed to get on Delta to work as by then everyone said F' it and there were seats. On arrival though, OH HOLY LORD!!!!!!! It was really hard to get off the jetbridges as people were EVERYWHERE and there literally was no place to go. The agents had to plow a path for us. Completely crazy!!!
ATL was a complete mad house.

and BTW, if anyone wants to know why my happy butt works in a hangar well away from PAX, this is why. I felt bad for some of the agents having to take it on the chin.

I'll never understand why the flying public blames the frontline employee for these kinds of things.

topDawg said:
which is why I said the COO should be walking.

You don't win JD power awards when you have IROPS and management goes to crap. I'm not going to blame a switch going bad (then catching fire) on anyone, but the reaction could have been done a lot better.

Thankfully everyone I knew who was out flying has basically said the same as you. I did have a few people crash at my house for a night or two. (more so because once the airline was up non-reving became impossible)

We will see. I'm betting someone has to fall on a sword for this one. I've seen projections over $100M loss for the issue. Can't see Wall street and the BOD letting it slide.
No one here is trained to react correctly anymore. It's all part of the learned helplessness they love to foster. That's nice until things implode, and then people run around looking for an adult...

Kev3188 said:
No one here is trained to react correctly anymore. It's all part of the learned helplessness they love to foster. That's nice until things implode, and then people run around looking for an adult...
Every airplane landed safely . Every flight attendent did their job all the agents did their job as best they could. It is all How the airline responds verses how other airlines respond. Irops and computer problems plague every airline. It is the response and recovery that will either set DL apart or put us back in the rest of the pack. Time will show which it is.

In the main, we agree. The problem is that people here don't know how to correctly react, and how to quickly map out a consistent recovery plan. Everyone is afraid to make command decisions, so none get made...

Kev3188 said:
In the main, we agree. The problem is that people here don't know how to correctly react, and how to quickly map out a consistent recovery plan. Everyone is afraid to make command decisions, so none get made...
I guess it must be where your looking from. From my position above Japan on the way to PVG unable to contact our dispatcher(who was unaware that we had to be redispatched over Nagoya because of shift change and the computer outage) my relief crew proactively sat-comed the dispatcher and told him of our predicament . Otherwise we would have taken 300 people to somewhere they didn't want to go to and they would have been stuck there. We received clearance and proceeded on to PVG......and they did this while I was on break and they informed me after I returned. Pro active and well done ....I don't see anyone being afraid to do things around here and I also don't see anyone getting hammered for going outside the box to get things done. There were examples in all depts. of people just getting things done as best they could. But that's what I saw I don't know what was happening in Madison .

I can't either; I wasn't there.

That anecdote is an example of how it's supposed to be done.

Doesn't always work that way in ACS or IFS.

And if your return trip was f'ed up, you at least had a set of contract language to rely on as a recourse. Not so for your coworkers on the other side of the door.

Reactions: 3 people
Kev3188 said:
I can't either; I wasn't there.
That anecdote is an example of how it's supposed to be done.
Doesn't always work that way in ACS or IFS.
And if your return trip was f'ed up, you at least had a set of contract language to rely on as a recourse. Not so for your coworkers on the other side of the door.
What can I say. 2 hours late. Everyone had a great attitude did their jobs and no one mentioned a union. And I'm on vacation and haven't heard if things are back to normal.. It took wn 4 days so if we did it under that pretty good job

Latest posts