Alpa

audio-nut said:
Either you're brainwashed or stupid. Congress will NEVER allow cabotage. NEVER!
Hey Black Pot,

THAT was an extreeeemely naive statement. Enough big money lobbying by big business and ANYTHING can and will happen.
And that applies to dem and rep lawmakers.
You were joking right?

What will make it a bit less likely is where the lobbying money comes from. I doubt we'll see much in the way of Chinese airline lobbyists, for example. So the lobbying will come from AA and UA and the like...who are not likely to be much in support of cabotage.

After paying 10 yrs of ALPA dues, I can honestly say that ALPA is one of the worst organizations I've been a part of. Congratualations to B6 pilots for keeping this lousy union off the property. B6 will do MUCH better w/ an in-house union. I doubt any furloughed mainline pilot at B6 would ever consider ALPA. I don't doubt that local ALPA councils look after their own group. I'm talking about ALPA on a national level. Lastly, nice to see APA and UPS work out recip. j/s priviledge. Where's ALPA on this? Probably spent the last dime on LAHSO mailers throughout 1997-2001.

latreal said:
NOTE:
AA is not an ALPA carrier...and according to recent press....will be the first legacy airline to turn a profit.

Coincidence????
HMMMMM....could be B)
Sorry about that; seems I need to check my facts before hitting the "Add Reply" button.

After having worked at several different carriers I have learned that a closer look at an airline's debt/equity ratio and other econmic factors is a better determinate of long term career security and employement than union afiliation. I remember a furloughed USAir guy who came to Southwest via Morris and he went back to USAirways when he was recalled ....and one of his reasons for going back was "ALPA and an ALPA negotiated retirement". Apparently he was totally brainwashed that ANY airline affiliated with ALPA was superior to being employed at a non ALPA airline. So much for that. Yes, he's furloughed with no retirement from USAirways. Even his USAirways compatriots told him he was an idiot for coming back when he did it.

Bear96 said:
Wow.

Someone sure has their head in the sand.

Maybe you missed the news today that Mexican trucks are about to start transporting their loads via US highways.

One thing at a time. It's the wave of the future.

Cabotage is not that far off.
AND, the Bush administration has blocked attempts by the border states to implement inspection of Mexican trucks for safety. Those of us who live in the border states are going to be even more nervous on the freeways in the very near future.

Mexican trucks can not be inspected for their braking or fuel systems or the amount of pollution they spew. Of course, U.S. truckers can be pulled off the road, inspected, ticketed, and forced to park until these items are repaired.

NAFTA was not intended to give Mexican or Canadian truckers unfair advantage over U.S truckers, but it looks like it's going to anyway.

If the JetBlue pilots feel they need a union, they should organize.

As a 25 year ALPA member, I caution them STRONGLY against certifying ALPA as their collective bargaining agent. ALPA is a toothless dinosaur. Functionally, it's pretty much dead, but the momentum of its bloated mass seems to keep it moving along.

Form your own in-house union. Maybe modelling it on the successfull SWA pilots union would work for you, or maybe something high tech as the failed attempt years back by USAir pilots to extract themselves from ALPA. Just don't flush your dues money down the ALPA toilet. ALPA is mostly concerned with ALPA, not your individual airline. The ALPA "expertise" which you would get to tap is "expert" in furthering ALPA's agenda. That agenda can very well be 180 degrees away from what is best for JetBlue pilots, but the ALPA "experts" will tell you differently.

The JetBlue pilots who have been ALPA members in the past can tell you that the purported unity of all airline pilots under one ALPA organization is a sham. ALPA is merely an association of individual airline bargaining units (Master Executive Councils, or MEC's) who bargain with their carrier independently and are subject to being whipsawed by the industry. A unified ALPA could prevent this, but the real ALPA is helpless.

Good luck with your careers, and with unionization if you decide you need it. Just don't waste your hard-earned dollars on ALPA dues.