America has a massive truck driver shortage.

La Li Lu Le Lo

Veteran
May 29, 2010
America has a massive truck driver shortage. Here’s why few want an $80,000 job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...000-job/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e6fe864deb81

There is no shortage, only low paying jobs no one wants to fill.

There is an agenda when these types of stories are ran. They are trying to entice people making sub 10 dollars an hour to enter the trucking industry. However when they find out they are basically working many more hours, sometimes with no pay, (like waiting HOURS to load and unload.... if the wheels ain't turning you ain't earning) they soon find out the time/pay is not as advertised and they get fed up with the situation and leave the industry. Rinse and repeat. A never ending cycle providing the trucking industry cheap, disposable labor.

Compliments of the media pushing propaganda.

The only shortage here is companies willing to pay a fair wage.

America has a massive truck driver shortage. Here’s why few want an $80,000 job.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...000-job/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e6fe864deb81

There is no shortage, only low paying jobs no one wants to fill.

There is an agenda when these types of stories are ran. They are trying to entice people making sub 10 dollars an hour to enter the trucking industry. However when they find out they are basically working many more hours, sometimes with no pay, (like waiting HOURS to load and unload.... if the wheels ain't turning you ain't earning) they soon find out the time/pay is not as advertised and they get fed up with the situation and leave the industry. Rinse and repeat. A never ending cycle providing the trucking industry cheap, disposable labor.

Compliments of the media pushing propaganda.

The only shortage here is companies willing to pay a fair wage.

WELL La La',
So WHY are there sooo many companies, NOT Willing to Pay ??

Oh my GOD, J.

THAT would mean, that we'd (the country), would need More UNIONS to ensure the stability of Middle Class Wages.

Perish the thought !

Yep....now think back to the first time we started debating on these boards way back when. I was a pretty anti union guy as I recall. But over the past 20 years or so I've come to see that this glorious "shareholder value" economy that we have has ripped away our middle class. Give it another term of the dear leader and a republican congress and when what used to be the middle class realizes how they've been bent over without benefit of Vaseline, unions will make a comeback. It might take a little time, but it's gonna happen.

WELL La La',
So WHY are there sooo many companies, NOT Willing to Pay ??
I thought I already answered that.

They are trying to entice people making sub 10 dollars an hour to enter the trucking industry. However when they find out they are basically working many more hours, sometimes with no pay, (like waiting HOURS to load and unload.... if the wheels ain't turning you ain't earning) they soon find out the time/pay is not as advertised and they get fed up with the situation and leave the industry. Rinse and repeat. A never ending cycle providing the trucking industry cheap, disposable labor.

I will try to answer with more clarity if my above answer was not sufficient.

They are not willing to pay because they are in an industry with low investment requirements (education and training) and are easily able to "churn" workers. This allows them to get inexperienced, low cost employees and maximize profits. Basically they target the poor, the uneducated, and the vulnerable by selling them a fantasy and just replace them with the next sucker when they get wise to it.

Nobody particularly cares because trucks run this country and as that cost goes up so to does everything else, so no one is really interested in giving them any kind of support. The media does it's part (such as this ridiculous "journalistic" piece... it's a piece alright) to keep the con going. Rising trucking cost would have a detrimental effect on the economy as well so the government has no want to rock the boat either. This con literally benefits EVERYBODY in the country........ but the truck drivers.

For once LaLi and I agree.
I hardly think that is accurate. We have agreed lots of times. We used to actually get along fairly well (in my opinion). At one time I actually considered you very moderate. I guess things are a bit different these days.

Trucking is not what it used to be. I still have my Class A CDL with Haz-Mat & Doubles endorsements. But I am not driving a truck now. Haven't drove in many years, but I keep my endorsements current for some reason. I used to drive with my uncle who is a company driver. I drove for four years before I got into the airline business. I was young (and dumb) and passed the tests to obtain my CDL (back then before the regs that started in the 80's, - if you already had a License (in my state, it was called a "Chauffeur's License") you were grandfathered and didn't have to take the required exams and such. But really, it depends if you are a Owner Operator or a Fleet driver. And of course what you are hauling. The only way if you are gonna make 80K is that you have to stay out there on the road, and don't bother coming home no time soon. If you get lucky enough to work for a great Fleet company, or hauling specialized / Hi-Value loads. Those are hard to come by. I used to haul household (I was a company driver being dispatched by the Van Line) and it was a *****. Even though the company paid for the permits and stuff, you have to pay for fuel (you get it reimbursed - BTW Diesel is over 3 plus dollars a gallon, and you are running with 100 gallon or more tanks on each side, plus fuel for the Reefer if you are hauling temp controlled items - do the math!) and you have to pay for the lumpers (that is the name of the guys who help unload your truck...... usually on a loading dock if in a warehouse - or in my case, a household that is being moved. A nearby agent of the Van Line would provide you lumpers who will help you load/unload and you had to negotiate a price for the two or three guys that you would need) It was fun at first, but as time went on, and the dispatchers wanted you to pick up load that didn't make money, it became a problem. You see it in every truck stop, guys trying to get loads, and arguing with dispatchers. And don't believe the words from a recruiter about "no-touch" freight or you can come home same day.....that's BS.

The biggest problem that is coming now is automation and self driving trucks. People see the handwriting on the wall, that fleets will use self-driving trucks in the future.

T5 I trucked in the past and totally agree it’s sure as hell not what it’s advertised to be.
Damn a self driving 40 ton vehicle is a scary thought

T5 I trucked in the past and totally agree it’s sure as hell not what it’s advertised to be.
Damn a self driving 40 ton vehicle is a scary thought

Typically I disagree with you, but I would NOT want to be within 5 miles of any road with a 40 ton self driving truck.

Jesus.
Somehow I doubt some of the real problems that have been mentioned here experienced by these NON UNION drivers, don't make a 'blip' on the radar screen of Teamster Union Drivers !!!!!!!!!

It don't matter if you are a O/O; or a company driver. It ain't all that great out there. I think the biggest IBT outfit still out there is "Buster Brown" (aka UPS). You still have Roadway & Yellow Freight. I think they are IBT if I recall. The O/O's are up against the big fleets like the "Great Pumpkin" (Scheider) and "Wally World" (WalMart); so the O/O's have to fill those niches. Unless you have a great broker, or have the contacts to get loads as a independent O/O, it is still a struggle out there.

Latest posts