American Air President Says Airlines Should Price the Way Hotels Price

Beancounter said:
Yeah, I agree when he talks about Marriott, but then he mentions going after Allegiant/Spirit passengers which would fall under Motel 6.  Which are we, Marriott or Motel 6?  

Bean
Just had a Management type explain to me that Marriott offers different types of hotel experiences, i.e. Springfield Suites. Guess I better retract my question since I had someone way smarter than me explain it.

Bean

Reactions: 1 person
Beancounter said:

Yeah, I agree when he talks about Marriott, but then he mentions going after Allegiant/Spirit passengers which would fall under Motel 6.  Which are we, Marriott or Motel 6?  

The difference between us and hotels is that we're both Motel 6 and the Ritz Carlton.  Often on the same plane. 

MK

What Kirby's explaining is trying to have the Motel 6 and Ritz within the same four walls... which almost never happens.

I say almost because I did stay at a Marriott once where they had three of their brands within the same physical building, but they all had their own lobby, check-in, and food options. You could walk outside to the next brand if you wanted to.

At the end of the day, the coach pax who pay Ritz Carlton prices could conceivably be sitting next to pax who pay Motel 6 prices.  Or does Scott want to carve out a Motel 6 cabin totally separate from the Ritz cabin? And then maybe a Courtyard cabin somewhere in the middle.  There will be a lot of bulkheads on that plane.

I don't get it, other than he's basically saying they want to unbundle as much as they can do start offering pricing to satisfy both the Spirit Airlines crowd and the VFF/legacy/premium crowd?

I, like many AA/US long time FF's, have flown on the unbundled pricing carriers like Spirit, Frontier and Easyjet.  I get the model and going in with eyes wide open, I'm prepared for it and plan/budget accordingly.  But I far more appreciate the pricing that AA gives where there's little more i have to think about ponying up.

It's a complete mistake for Scott to try to maximize revenue for the company - they should just charge the lowest price and hope it all works out.

Surprise another thread complaining about the company.

PHL said:
At the end of the day, the coach pax who pay Ritz Carlton prices could conceivably be sitting next to pax who pay Motel 6 prices.  Or does Scott want to carve out a Motel 6 cabin totally separate from the Ritz cabin? And then maybe a Courtyard cabin somewhere in the middle.  There will be a lot of bulkheads on that plane.

As a flight attendant I have wondered about the answer to your questions ever since they announced an economy and a "where is your god now" economy.  I would hate to be doing the coach service, reach a particular aisle, and then close up shop right in front of the passengers.  Besides, if the airline has oversold the top tier economy and the only seat available for a frequent flyer is in steerage, how do we serve that customer while ignoring his/her seatmates?  And, don't think some passengers won't buy steerage tickets and then try to finagle a seat in the human section of coach.

Reactions: 2 people
jcw said:
It's a complete mistake for Scott to try to maximize revenue for the company - they should just charge the lowest price and hope it all works out.

Surprise another thread complaining about the company.
It's quite apparent you have never worked in the industry and never took the massive concessions airline employees have endured.

Reactions: 3 people
700UW said:
It's quite apparent you have never worked in the industry and never took the massive concessions airline employees have endured.
No it's apparent folks on here don't want revenue / funny thing how folks on here find everything negative / if folks want to get paid someone who preaches for the union should be coming up with all kinds of ways to increase revenue / so which is it / bleed the company drive / or make sure the company makes good money / with employees getting paid well / just amazing a free meal for employees is bad / trying to generate more revenue is bad / trashing the company is good / defending the union at all cost is good / just amazing

You have no idea of what airline employees went though, 100,000 laid off after 9/11 numerous bankruptcies, pensions frozen or terminated, and the executives took no cuts.

Horton walked away with $20 million for two years worth of work, criminal.

I was in the courtroom numerous times during US' Section 1113 C trial, you have no idea what the workers went through.

Dave Siegel took US into chapter 11, was fired a year later and walked away with $6 million in his pension, I was there 17 years and my pension was terminated and sent to the PBGC.

Walk in an airline employee shoes, then comment, because you have zero idea or sympathy.

They want a CBA and returns, not a free meal.

Reactions: 4 people
That's right the airlines where making so much money back then they thought heck let's go through bankruptcy for the heck of it just to cut wages - It's amazing how one forgets what happened - if we want we can go the way of the steel industry - how many mills are left in Pittsburgh? - the unions did a great job killing that industry - did a decent job of almost killing the auto industry - not sure you will be happy until the airlines are in chapter 7

jcw   US went CH11 twice   I feel the 2nd one was way worse than the first    some 40 plus stations took hits  thousands upon thousands laid off  and theres still a number who never came back   its time we get back everything we lost and more    so when Kirby makes these comments about cheap arse hotels I dont really believe it can apply in the airlines  but knowing our clowns running the show  anything is a possibility i suppose.  

Yeah I understand your point - however Scott didn't take US into the second chpt 11 - and US ended up having one of the best revenue growth over time post merger (lots of other things went wrong with the merger) - I hope they can figure it out - we need revenue growth so wages can grow with it