American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m not mistaken AK only has like 5 or so stations where they actually have their own workforce
They have a large amount of outsourced work already and the overall size of their operation is very small compared to AA.
Not sure how the Virgin folks fit in here either as I believe most of their ramp was contract

Correct. AS only staffs the ramp in Alaska. They have cargo employees in SEA, but that's just about it for the lower 48 -and includes hubs in SEA & PDX, and large operations in California.

Given that they now have their own (IAM repped) in-house ground handling company, don't look for that to change any time soon.

UNIONism used to be about negotiating better and safer working conditions while maintaining a healthy and profitable company.

It still can be; don't give up hope.

If you truly value UNION ideals you should worry more about maximizing pay and bettering working conditions and less about how many lower seniority people (most likely doing the actual work while you screw off all day making forum posts) have to get hit before it affects your little world.

+1

Reactions: swamt
If the association has never been formed, we would have already had a contact. It wouldn't have mattered if we were all IAM or TWU, it would've been settled. Since Alaska repented employee numbers are so small AND they are members of a union instead of an ass. I wouldn't compare them to us at all.

Thank you Kev3188.

I hope the UNION membership returns to the foundations UNIONs were built on one day.
i think in an almost completely different perspective. I believe working people realize they need unions just as much today as yesterday, but rather many unions have not adapted to a changing culture.
True, technology has exposed union corruption on social media and online like never before, many unions still cant figure out that membership participation is the lifeblood and that technology is your friend. Electronic voting, virtual union meetings, etc.

If the association has never been formed, we would have already had a contact. It wouldn't have mattered if we were all IAM or TWU, it would've been settled. Since Alaska repented employee numbers are so small AND they are members of a union instead of an ass. I wouldn't compare them to us at all.

The Association has nothing to do with it.
All Negotiations are done between a company and a bargaining agent. It shouldn't matter if we had a single union at all. The problem would still exist as the company deliberately stalls negotiations. The company is saving money each and every day they stall. It simply would not matter who they are bargaining against.
They will continue to stall until they are forced into finally having to make a move.

IAM Reaches Tentative Deal for New Contracts at Alaska Airlines

June 16, 2019

Washington D.C., June 18, 2019—The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers today announced that it has reached tentative agreements on contracts covering approximately 5,000 clerical, office, passenger service, reservations, ramp and stores workers at Alaska Airlines.

The tentative accords prohibit the outsourcing of work, increase base wage rates 14 percent, on average, on date of signing, provide a mechanism to ensure wages keep pace with the industry, reduce health insurance costs, increase company sponsored retirement benefits, increase premium and shift differentials by up to 20 percent, among other improvements.

“I thank IAM members at Alaska Airlines for the unity and solidarity they demonstrated throughout this process,” said General Vice President Sito Pantoja. “It’s because of that unity that the negotiating committee was able achieve the notable gains in these tentative agreements.”

“I congratulate the IAM negotiating committee on a job well done,” said IAM District 142 President and Directing General Chairman Dave Supplee. “IAM members at Alaska Airlines can be proud of these agreements, especially the prohibition on outsourcing work. IAM members spoke loud and clear that their futures needed to be secure, and this tentative agreement is a solid step in the right direction.”

Please click here for more information regarding the tentative accords.

The IAM represents approximately 5,000 clerical, office, passenger service, reservations, ramp and stores employees at Alaska Airlines.

View attachment 14490 View attachment 14491
This is even worse than the United agreement.
The iam put in a cinderella date that lifts all scope 2 years after the ammendable date. They did this with the alaska ramp, and then all rampers got contracted out.
Doesnt matter with the iam because of their arrangement with the iam to dump these jobs to the iam anyways at McGee Air Services.

The disappointment is pretty wide spread on the LAA side. You knew it would be difficult to negotiate a deal with the 2 unions having large differences, but we at LAA have taken it on the chin for a good while now. You just get a feeling that the Association is not leveling with the members. The extremely sour picture that negotiations has portrayed makes you wonder if some fresh faces are required to get a deal done.Samuelson telling Isom we would take the company down was really pretty foolish. And the company could have stepped up a long time ago and got a deal.
You have a valid point. In our case we sent in all new faces on the unions side except for 2 regulars. On the co. side they changed their entire team except for 2 then one of them was removed as well, and I even think the final one was also removed but not positive. So basically all new co side NC and more than 50% new union NC. Then of course the Newest arrival on the co. side NC, Mr. Kinder with full power to get er done and he did.
On a short note: I think you are correct, maybe some new fresh faces would help move things along, it worked in our case, but changes on both sides.

That may eventually just happen. You do know that there actually are still some loose ends that the Company hasn’t finished off yet right.

The IAMNPF hasn’t been decided yet and what do you think should be done about STORES? (MLS)
NO! They don't know weezal. You know why?? Because this membership is left in the dark all the time with no real info from the asso. with updates about nego!!! Geez...

The Association has nothing to do with it.
All Negotiations are done between a company and a bargaining agent. It shouldn't matter if we had a single union at all. The problem would still exist as the company deliberately stalls negotiations. The company is saving money each and every day they stall. It simply would not matter who they are bargaining against.
They will continue to stall until they are forced into finally having to make a move.

I don’t agree having this association has created having too many different voices and opinions negotiating the contracts with a single union a lot of those issues would not exist and we would have had an agreement a year ago

I respect you for saying that you would vote yes, I don’t think you’re the type that wouldn’t at least read through it first though.

BTW don’t get me wrong. I also want to put the Ghost of 2003 finally to bed. Too bad there are forces out there not wanting to let us do that so easily.

Those forces are the IAM side of this two sided fiasco asso. representing you guys.

I don’t agree having this association has created having too many different voices and opinions negotiating the contracts with a single union a lot of those issues would not exist and we would have had an agreement a year ago

What particular issues do you feel wouldn’t have existed?

Status
Not open for further replies.