American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that threatening Isom was a deplorable strategy by Samuelson. Made things worse if that was possible. The problem is the TWU sold us out with Jim Little and they can't fix that. Tough to get a deal with this mgmt group who seem like penny pinchers who don't care about customer service if they can save a nickel. Add the fact that thinking the IAM would just give in to the health care and have to tell their members, sorry people we had to shove it up your backside. Not likely. It gets back to the TWU selling out in such a bad business choice you wonder who got what out of that deal. Samuelson's lucky Isom didn't call out the TWU for having representatives that cost the members rather than help them.
I agree and so do most. I was alarmed to hear from union officers that Samuelsons outburst was not a problem and he showed how upset the membership is. I think we all know we are upset. In my opinion Samuelson put on a ego show thinking it was going to result in a similar manner if he was dealing with the MTA of NYC. I believe he is way over his head. He just got his Dik slapped. The association is quiet now in fear of more repercussions from the judge. Sito has never spoken up from the beginning. So we have no real leadership at this point until the TRO and lawsuit issues get resolved. The ironic thing about this is the IAM is the one creating the so called job action based on AA's claims of the stations affecting the schedule the most. The TWU is now collateral damage to the alleged IAM represented stations causing problems for AA. We (TWU) could not get the IAM leadership engaged in peaceful informational pickets, advertising in major local markets and other forms of union activities like the Ridge report. It was all TWU and TWU expense covering these issues and research projects. Come the end of the 30 day period the judge has given it will be interesting to see if AA will again claim delays and OTS numbers have not gone down or even increased.

I agree and so do most. I was alarmed to hear from union officers that Samuelsons outburst was not a problem and he showed how upset the membership is. I think we all know we are upset. In my opinion Samuelson put on a ego show thinking it was going to result in a similar manner if he was dealing with the MTA of NYC. I believe he is way over his head. He just got his Dik slapped. The association is quiet now in fear of more repercussions from the judge. Sito has never spoken up from the beginning. So we have no real leadership at this point until the TRO and lawsuit issues get resolved. The ironic thing about this is the IAM is the one creating the so called job action based on AA's claims of the stations affecting the schedule the most. The TWU is now collateral damage to the alleged IAM represented stations causing problems for AA. We (TWU) could not get the IAM leadership engaged in peaceful informational pickets, advertising in major local markets and other forms of union activities like the Ridge report. It was all TWU and TWU expense covering these issues and research projects. Come the end of the 30 day period the judge has given it will be interesting to see if AA will again claim delays and OTS numbers have not gone down or even increased.
The longer this goes on (regardless of reason) the IAM leadership can claim they were able to keep their medical till 2021-22? under an extremely difficult situation. The company continues to slap the Association sideways, but in a twisted way the IAM benefits and the TWU continues to lose out. You gotta love this new brand of "Unionism".

twu members blindly follow the twu. Thus, the iam should get a double portion for iam members in phl. Twu peeps are ok standing still.

That's only because two unions fight each other for control.

Not exactly, 2003 and 2012 TWU alone took huge concessions with about 2 weeks of negotiations and in 2008 and 2010 refused contract improvements because it wasn’t restore and more. Plus what the company wanted for contract improvements, the company took. Good thing union is here to represent us.

16 years and counting of concessions.

66 more mechanics for TULE, I don’t see where AA is trying to do away with maint.
Here’s the kicker, they’re having trouble filling these positions. AA has been calling those that the took the last early out asking if they’d like to return.

Look... the company knows we'll be leaving in droves over the next 5 years. They need guys just to do the work they want to keep in house... They're having a hard time making their numbers in manning, so theres ot.. and... they want the ability to go outside...and they're hiring what they can..

The rub..... new hires off probation tend to vote yes..

Look... the company knows we'll be leaving in droves over the next 5 years. They need guys just to do the work they want to keep in house... They're having a hard time making their numbers in manning, so theres ot.. and... they want the ability to go outside...and they're hiring what they can..

Doesn’t that sound like something you would do to keep your business operating after a max retirement?

Northwest was hiring in Atlanta, till they closed the DC9 base. After Delta closed DFW, guys went to Tampa with their hangar, there, and Delta closed it too.

I didnt say they should run out and form an Association. The fact of the matter is whether its AMFA, IBT, TWU etc Delta doesnt want their people unionizing. If there were zero threat of a union, dont be so foolish to think it would be all Rose's over there.
Are you saying that the horrible representation that we are required to pay to work at AA is motivating the Delta mechanics to not unionize?

I believe the reason they are paid so well and treated so well is, if they are assigned at hangar and told to help change a tire at terminal, they go change the tire at the terminal and then go to their next assignment at the hangar. All with a smile on their face. With us the first question is, who’s the junior guy, that’s a terminal plane I work at hangar. They work more then one plane a night. Their OH guys don’t go to Hooters or fishing when they should be working. They have ramp moving their planes around. Etc etc.......you want the pay and the respect from management like Delta mechanics get, then we need to work like a Delta mechanic.

I’ve seen an AA mech eating lunch, a Supv walks by and says hello, that mechanic filed a grievance for a paid lunch.

My feelings are hurt because I wasn't allowed to vote on the TWU/IAM debacle commonly referred to as the ASS (short for Association).
Other than that, negotiations with Samuelson and all are just peachy, wouldn't you say.

Negotiating with a Judge?

Might I suggest the "stealth" model? :D
LMAO! Hey LaLu, are those your legs? Not bad...

61D1E%2BI4mdL._SL1100_.jpg

Here’s the kicker, they’re having trouble filling these positions. AA has been calling those that the took the last early out asking if they’d like to return.
Well geez. If they are still hiring the way they were when I was called for the job in Tulsa, I can see why they are having problems filling the positions. Mechanics helper, 10 years to top out, TWU union (asso. now but still TWU) etc... I wouldn't go back after retirement either.

Status
Not open for further replies.