American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never said it was.

Just asking what the feeling would be if there was no straw man and the only choices were incumbent, no union and write in.

It isn't a trick question. Just curious.

Everyone is so defensive on this subject. :(
C'mon NYer. You know exactly why some are so defensive. Because there has been too many people getting on these forums, whenever a card drive is discussed or is activated, and they are here for one purpose, to try and destroy the card drive and to spread complete lies and misinformation to cause purpose confusion to cause others from signing a card. And is exactly why you will get myself and others on here to keep the real truth flowing by correcting any misinformation out there.

C'mon NYer. You know exactly why some are so defensive. Because there has been too many people getting on these forums, whenever a card drive is discussed or is activated, and they are here for one purpose, to try and destroy the card drive and to spread complete lies and misinformation to cause purpose confusion to cause others from signing a card. And is exactly why you will get myself and others on here to keep the real truth flowing by correcting any misinformation out there.

That's fine, but I haven't been doing that.

Just curious to how everyone felt about the proposed changes and the consequences those changes may have.

TWU International President John Samuelsen confronts Robert Isom, President of American Airlines.

“I stand here to tell you in front of this whole room, in front of everybody, anybody who is listening, that you’re not going to get what you want and if this erupts into the bloodiest, ugliest battle that the United States labor movement has ever saw, that's what is gonna happen.”

“If we ever get to a point where there is self-help, we are on a engage in absolutely vicious strike action against American Airlines to the likes of which you have never seen.”
And because of the above statement: Samuelson new mantra

”I’m going sign any agreement that sells everyone down the river, its going to happen. We are not going to defend our members, we are gonna defend the union's future so I can stay employed.”

-John Samuelsen
TWU International President

Reactions: Tim Nelson
TWU International President John Samuelsen confronts Robert Isom, President of American Airlines.

“I stand here to tell you in front of this whole room, in front of everybody, anybody who is listening, that you’re not going to get what you want and if this erupts into the bloodiest, ugliest battle that the United States labor movement has ever saw, that's what is gonna happen.”

“If we ever get to a point where there is self-help, we are on a engage in absolutely vicious strike action against American Airlines to the likes of which you have never seen.”
And because of the above statement: Samuelson new mantra

”I’m going sign any agreement that sells everyone down the river, its going to happen. We are not going to defend our members, we are gonna defend the union's future so I can stay employed.”

-John Samuelsen
TWU International President
That's why Samuelson is in over his head. This is AA under TWU representation. He has gone roque. The TWU will never engage in actions he is venting about. Even in a self help mode. We are not the MTA. We are the lame TWU.

That's why Samuelson is in over his head. This is AA under TWU representation. He has gone roque. The TWU will never engage in actions he is venting about. Even in a self help mode. We are not the MTA. We are the lame TWU.

It won't be long until the AFL-CIO shows up if they haven't already.

Reactions: swamt
It won't be long until the AFL-CIO shows up if they haven't already.
And does what, force a vote to have one union. As far as I’m concerned the only thing to make me happy as far as unions go, is to have one union representing title 1 workers of AA and all other members in the other union.

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt
That's fine, but I haven't been doing that.

Just curious to how everyone felt about the proposed changes and the consequences those changes may have.
You have been on one issue so far. You have been saying that there will only be asso., (incum.) no union and a write-in will be the only options. This is not true. In order to have a possible vote you would have to have another outside union, or, even one of the two current unions, but some here are claiming they cannot as it is against their own rules, anyway, an outside (different) union would have to collect cards to show the NMB that there is an interest. IF there are enough cards collected, and let's use AMFA just for example purposes, then the NMB would call for a representational election with the choices of AMFA, Asso., No Union, and a Write-in option. There will be no representational election UNLESS there is enough cards collected outside of current representation.
Most are not concerned about the SM as it is not active as of yet. Once it becomes active then, maybe, some will start thinking about it. But, really, in the long run, all one would have to do is educate themselves more on the issue and rework accordingly to still favor a representation election to rid the mechanics of this abortion union representation. And you fleet boys should do the same, but could care less what fleet does or not.

You have been on one issue so far. You have been saying that there will only be asso., (incum.) no union and a write-in will be the only options. This is not true. In order to have a possible vote you would have to have another outside union, or, even one of the two current unions, but some here are claiming they cannot as it is against their own rules, anyway, an outside (different) union would have to collect cards to show the NMB that there is an interest. IF there are enough cards collected, and let's use AMFA just for example purposes, then the NMB would call for a representational election with the choices of AMFA, Asso., No Union, and a Write-in option. There will be no representational election UNLESS there is enough cards collected outside of current representation.
Most are not concerned about the SM as it is not active as of yet. Once it becomes active then, maybe, some will start thinking about it. But, really, in the long run, all one would have to do is educate themselves more on the issue and rework accordingly to still favor a representation election to rid the mechanics of this abortion union representation. And you fleet boys should do the same, but could care less what fleet does or not.

Source: National Mediation Board

"The proposed rule would eliminate the “straw man” process employees are currently required to navigate in order to exercise the right to decertify. Under the “straw man” process, employees with current representation seeking a decertification election must submit authorization cards seeking representation by an individual employee who must be listed by name. If “straw man” cards are submitted representing at least 50% of the employee group, an election is directed allowing employees to vote for their current representative, the “straw man,” no union, or a write-in option. In order to decertify, employees must vote for “no union” or for the “straw man” who, once certified, can subsequently disclaim interest."

"Under the proposed rule, employees would be able to submit authorization cards stating the intention to decertify. If cards are submitted representing the intent of at least 50% of the employee group to decertify, the Board will authorize an election with the current representative and “no union,” along with a write-in option." (emphasis added)

"Additionally, the two year election bar currently applied following a successful representation election will similarly be applied to a successful decertification election."

"The proposed rule would eliminate the “straw man” process employees are currently required to navigate in order to exercise the right to decertify. Under the “straw man” process, employees with current representation seeking a decertification election must submit authorization cards seeking representation by an individual employee who must be listed by name. If “straw man” cards are submitted representing at least 50% of the employee group, an election is directed allowing employees to vote for their current representative, the “straw man,” no union, or a write-in option. In order to decertify, employees must vote for “no union” or for the “straw man” who, once certified, can subsequently disclaim interest."

"Under the proposed rule, employees would be able to submit authorization cards stating the intention to decertify. If cards are submitted representing the intent of at least 50% of the employee group to decertify, the Board will authorize an election with the current representative and “no union,” along with a write-in option." (emphasis added)

"Additionally, the two year election bar currently applied following a successful representation election will similarly be applied to a successful decertification election."
no big deal..The strawman route was barely used and I dont believe one strawman was ever elected.

You
And does what, force a vote to have one union. As far as I’m concerned the only thing to make me happy as far as unions go, is to have one union representing title 1 workers of AA and all other members in the other union.
Your collective has had that option since the early 2000? If I recall.

Sounds to me like AMFA (as an example) would be the Straw man. However, as I have said before (and now I will get blunt) who gives a fuk until the SM law is enacted and/or enforced?? Stop with the BS "what if's" or what ever's. Currently we will all go with "THE" current law and rules and regs under the NMB to do a card drive as we see fit. None of the mechanics give two shites about your "what if" questions. As you are not a mechanic...

You

Your collective has had that option since the early 2000? If I recall.

Not really, we have tried but the twu has been able to keep us twu, but the closest we had was our own locals but they were closed. Now are contract is tied to, if ramp gets to keep deicing. Which use to be our OT.

Not to force a vote, ( I agree with you ) but to take control over the rogue TWU International President that overstepped his position in the Robert Isom move. I do not believe that Samuelson realized that Aircraft Mechanics basically cannot strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.