American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
margins came in at 9% for the quarter, nearly 300 basis points behind ua.

man oh man..company didn't buy any shares back in q2...stock price got into $28/share territory..no purchases. i guess the company is waiting to purchase shares in the $30s?? what are they waiting for??

you're right about profit sharing. aa at $87 million after 2 quarters, united at $194 million and delta at $739 million.

i did see that boeing put billions aside to compensate it's customers for the 737-max issues. aa is saying the 737-max hit will be apprx. $400 million in income for all of 2019.

will they demand interest? can we demand interest on retro from last sept.?

Good evening all,

Just been reading the back and forth here on the NMB " straw man " rule, and there seems to be alot of misunderstanding/bad info going around.

First, the "straw man" only comes into play currently, when a represented group wishes to decertify their current representative, and go non-union/unrepresented.

Here is an example where a small group of Dispatchers used the "straw man" and dumped the teamsters at Allegiant.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business...-dispatchers-vote-out-teamsters-on-a-7-7-vote

Second, the proposed rule change, even if adopted, does NOT change the way one union may be replaced (decertified) by another union

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/01/31/2019-00406/decertification-of-representatives

From the link above - (emphasis mine)

Clearly, this rule is for those groups seeking to decertify only, not for those seeking to change representatives.

Don't be misled into believing this rule will make a decertification of your current representative(s) any more difficult.
Exactly. I tried explaining this to NYer if another union was to collect enough cards, but he just doesn't get it after 4 explanations.
The key phrase here is the fact that the straw man is not even enacted, just being considered and discussed.
I have also told him over and over that the current asso. would never allow a vote to go thru over decertifying the asso at AA, as they very well would more than likely get removed.
Thanks for chiming in with the articles and examples, it helped explain a little better.

OK.

You guys really always seem to push back on anything that's against your agenda or preference.

If you want to go with this is no big deal, then so be it.

I guess you'll deal with it after it happens.

Seems the Association's efforts to comply with modified TRO aren't satisfactory.

Attachments

• AA_Response_TRO_Compliance.pdf
    570.6 KB · Views: 293
OK.

You guys really always seem to push back on anything that's against your agenda or preference.

Deal with what exactly?

The "straw man" rule, adopted or not, has no bearing on a group that wishes to change from one representative to another.

The information provided by the NMB in their NPRM makes clear the changes affect the process of those groups wishing to decertify their current representative and go unrepresented. The information provided in the NPRM is clear on this matter, it is not an "agenda or preference" its the facts as presented.

Reactions: Tim Nelson
OK.

I don't have an agenda and I certainly don't have time to waste, that's why I phoned them personally and asked them as my organization will be filing a petition later this year. They told me that I need 50% of the cards and the ballot would be "IAM", "ALM" "Write in" and "No union" with immediate certification to the ALM if it has a majority of all representation votes. No straw man needed. A straw man is something that takes the place or represents something else. It could be another union, or it could be an individual, and in either case, it is only used to trigger a vote for something else. That's what makes it a strawman.

Seems the Association's efforts to comply with modified TRO aren't satisfactory.
my AGC, Gill SImmons, came into our breakroom and apparently said that the union has no plans to fine or discipline anyone and that they were just following the TRO. As it turns out, according to the info you posted, this is what the union has been doing everywhere.

What is significant, is that the company said the slowdown is mostly still happening. I would guess that the union will get fined. Peterson, Samuelson, and Garcia and Pantoja just don't listen. Gonna cost the union a lot.

my AGC, Gill SImmons, came into our breakroom and apparently said that the union has no plans to fine or discipline anyone and that they were just following the TRO. As it turns out, according to the info you posted, this is what the union has been doing everywhere.

What is significant, is that the company said the slowdown is mostly still happening. I would guess that the union will get fined. Peterson, Samuelson, and Garcia and Pantoja just don't listen. Gonna cost the union a lot.
It will cost them a contract vote, and fairly quickly I would imagine...

Yes it seems the union leaders just keep digging their own grave and continue to deny us a contract to vote for.
They can blame the NMB all they won’t be we are here because of their lack of negotiating skills and refusal to compromise

Incompetent idiots running this association. They need to take this a bit more seriously even if the company is not 100% truthful on its claims to the judge.

Deal with what exactly?

The "straw man" rule, adopted or not, has no bearing on a group that wishes to change from one representative to another.

The information provided by the NMB in their NPRM makes clear the changes affect the process of those groups wishing to decertify their current representative and go unrepresented. The information provided in the NPRM is clear on this matter, it is not an "agenda or preference" its the facts as presented.

I guess you don't realize that changing unions includes the decertification of the current one.

Again. You guys want to believe what you want to believe, then so be it.

Don't think there was ever an intent for the Company to have the union discipline or fine any member. Anticipating that wouldn't happen only opens the door for the Association to be held in contempt, which would include a financial component against them.

THAT, I believe, was the end game to include that language for the discipline and fine in the Modified TRO.

Not to force a vote, ( I agree with you ) but to take control over the rogue TWU International President that overstepped his position in the Robert Isom move. I do not believe that Samuelson realized that Aircraft Mechanics basically cannot strike.

Maybe replace Samuelson if twu gets a huge fine, and replacing Samuelson will prove to the NMB that union is willing to negotiate, or since we are a small part of twu the union will show AA and NMB that they won’t be pushed around and our dues will go up to pay for fine.

I believe twu gets a majority of their money from NY trains.

Of course we keep forgetting the twu is only half of the association and we have to see how IAM reacts to all this. Plus we don’t know if ramp is willing to accept deal from AA. Ramp from either LUS or LAA side.

Can’t believe we all voted to have the association represent us.

Last edited:
I would have liked to see a vote on the Association. The Union leadership knew it would fail, or even worse having a write in union like AMFA win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts