American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a conversation that some want to wait until we get a contract to sign a card. You either are going to sign a card or not.
There was a lot of that said during AMP drive but the lack of information via the updates has them signing a card this time. The October 25 update was a big eye opener for a lot of people, before that one the updates were mostly cut and paste “We are still meeting, making progress, fighting to get the ILC you deserve bla bla bla”.
The October 25 update said they were still talking about issues like medical insurance, LTD. This sentence was particularly eye opening “The talks have moved into more serious and in-depth discussions regarding Scope, Insurance and Retirement.” everyone was saying WTF have they been doing all this time.
The irony is the only reason they posted a more “in depth” update was because the dues payers were getting restless and in the end they just told everyone how far from a deal they really were.
Sign Those Cards!

http://www.twu-iam.org/2019/10/25/negotiations-update-8/

Can’t fool you. Just how am I muddying the waters? I support the AMFA drive I don’t support calling people idiots if they don’t sign a card. I support educating them why they need to sign. P.S. I guess only the same 5 people with 10,000 post are allowed to post here way to keep the drive alive
Reread your post you agree to call non-signers idiots? And that helps how?

Let's see the excuses I've heard over the years from guys who did not want to sign a card.

1) It will slow down negotiations.
2) It will stop negotiations.
3) It will start negotiations over from the beginning.
4) Why do I have to sign if we have a contract?
5) Negotiations are going to start soon and this will delay talks.
6) It's not a good time. NO reason given.
7) We have strength in numbers.
8) They are not with the AFL-CIO?
9) Wait until we get a contract.
10) I won't sign if Automotive and Facilities comes with us.

AND this one is the best one yet.

11) If we change unions we will be without a contract.

And the Idiots keep coming up with reasons not to sign over and over.
Even when you provide facts, documentation and prior examples of other representational changes at other Air Carriers they still won't sign. It's the battered wife syndrome. AKA....IDIOTS.

You can't educate a closed mind or someone who already has their mind made up.
Sometimes old school works best on these holdouts and sometimes its lost hope.

Reactions: swamt
That's the way I understand it as well. The reason it's on the TWU/IAM Asso. is because they did nothing to try and stop it, and there were top leaders threatening on video, and not to mention some internet gabble that will also be brought up. It's on the Asso. to at least make an effort to stop what the co. thought was a job action. The same happened to us, the difference is our union immediately put out memos discouraging any kind of job action and they went around the system in person telling mechanics to not do any job actions and the union does not condone any job actions and that possible discipline could be handed down from the union if any member is found to be doing a job action. Although the cancellations were still up the Judge saw that the union took action and attempts to stop it, where the asso never did until directed and ordered to do so by the Judge in their case. Big difference.

It goes a little further than not stopping it. The Associatiion was found to have instigated the actions taken.

It goes a little further than not stopping it. The Associatiion was found to have instigated the actions taken.
Yes. Agree. But didn't want to suggest or imply anything as I'm an outsider. But I will say in our case, the union took immediate action when requested to do so. The asso at AA did not and even hampered it by other actions by upper leadership within the asso.

During the 2013 negotiations 700 always reminded standalone section six USAIR negotiations due to the IBT drive.

Unclear if that was at the behest of the IAM to concentrate resources on maintaining dues payers or LUS management to kick the can down the road and obtain DOJ/DOT/shareholder/etc approval for the merger. Both the IAM and USAIR were all too happy to delay negotiations.

Josh

During the 2013 negotiations 700 always reminded standalone section six USAIR negotiations due to the IBT drive.

Unclear if that was at the behest of the IAM to concentrate resources on maintaining dues payers or LUS management to kick the can down the road and obtain DOJ/DOT/shareholder/etc approval for the merger. Both the IAM and USAIR were all too happy to delay negotiations.

Josh
As they are yet again...

Singing a card will probably generate a contract.
Will the mechanics be granted parity with the other airlines?

Will the mechanics be forced into a sub-standard contract by getting a contract from the Association?

Will the company go after the Fleet Service group to achieve parity with the other airlines?

Which way will the IAM Pension fund go?

Could the “Cadillac Tax” be the holdup? Congress, the House that is, voted to repeal it. Now the Senate needs to take it up, but who knows when that will be. They’re focused on the impeachment right now.

Anyway, this is a good description of the problem...
The Affordable Healthcare Act will trigger the “Cadillac Tax” under President Obama’s signature healthcare form, which would impose a 40 percent excise tax on expensive employer-offered healthcare plans. Originally set to begin in 2018, Congress pushed back the tax’s start day to 2020.

Just one more thing before I go back into the woodwork. There are many people who read this forum who do not post. When you put down other AMT’s from base stations or the IAM and even the title II guys you make it difficult to get cards signed. I walked into GSE last week to let them know that a card drive was starting for AMFA again and all it took was 1 guy to pull up this for him on his cell phone and show the mechanics in the room certain posts where they are putting down title II. Thanks to SWAMT I was able to clear up miscommunication. The attitude of some on here that they are better than others does not help the cause. If we do not unite this will never work. Now it is time for me to crawl back into the woodwork.

I know most on here already know. This is more so for the newbies and the fellas that always follow and read this forum but never post as Fleetoffoot posted above.
Just posting to show how transparent the C&C AMFA is. We just started our regular Local 11 Officer elections as well as our National Officers positions. You can see most are running unopposed, but had anyone wanted to run they would have been put on the ballot. Take notice that our top position National Director is also on the list of Officers for this election. This is what a transparent C&C union looks like.
Also pls note the added info about the "National Convention Constitutional Amendments" are coming up. This is where the membership, YES the membership, submits proposals for amendments and/or changes to the AMFA Constitution. You know, the rules and regs of how AMFA is directed to be ran as a C&C Transparent Union.
Also note the top leaders in our Local 11 Officers positions are also up for re-election, ALR and Pres.
This is a regular cycle within AMFA's Constitution and can not be by passed or not followed. All our top National (International for you guys and your union) Officers as well as our Local Officers are all elected to their position NOT appointed.
Hope this helps with some of the misinformation flying around.

2020 AMFA National Convention Election Results
The results for the Local 11 National Officer Nominations and Convention Delegates have been posted.

• The Local 11 nominee for National Safety and Standards Director is Scott King.
  • Our Nominees for other National positions are as follows:
    • BRET OESTREICH NATIONAL DIRECTOR (UNOPPOSED)
    • GENE PAINTER ASSISTANT NATIONAL DIRECTOR (UNOPPOSED)
    • JAY JOHNSON NATIONAL SECRETARY/TREASURER (UNOPPOSED)
    • WILL ABBOTT REGIONAL DIRECTOR II (UNOPPOSED)
  • The delegates to the Convention are Kern Morris, Lee Rhame , Mike Stanley and Jeff Nichols.
2020 Local 11 Officer Election Results
There being no additional nominations for the 2020 Local Officer positions, Vice President Doug Collier, Treasurer Jason Goodman, ALR Craig Hamlet and Communications Coordinator Pete Miller will continue in their service to Local 11.

2020 AMFA National Convention Constitutional Amendments
Remember that if you have have proposed amendments to the AMFA Constitution , they need to be submitted by 2359CT on Thursday, December 26, 2019.

Please submit your proposed amendments to Local 11.

And here is more for the C&C of Mechanics everywhere...

Press Release: The Safe Aircraft Maintenance Standards Act is a Huge Step Forward
November 15, 2019 -- Today House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure Chairman Peter DeFazio (D-OR) introduced The Safe Aircraft Maintenance Standards Act, calling for unannounced FAA inspections of foreign repair stations, minimum qualifications for mechanics and others working on U.S.-registered aircraft at foreign repair stations, data gathering and analysis, a conditional moratorium on FAA certification of new foreign repair stations, and requiring the FAA to a create an online repository for carriers to report heavy maintenance history by location and specific aircraft registration number, as well as other safety metrics.
Read More

Yes. Agree. But didn't want to suggest or imply anything as I'm an outsider. But I will say in our case, the union took immediate action when requested to do so. The asso at AA did not and even hampered it by other actions by upper leadership within the asso.

Matter of fact, some of the representatives, including WeAAsles (and 700, aka Phoenix) used the "success" in the SWA job action as a reason to follow through on the similar actions at LAA.

I don’t believe AMFA National is supporting your drive. They haven’t ever put out anything official stating they were doing so. Can you show me anything official by Brett or anyone else at AMFA saying they’re motivated to take on the TWU/IAM Association?

The AFA has raided the IAM Drive for Delta Flight Attendants and they haven’t shown any fear whatsoever of making it publicly known. They’re all in 100%.

So where’s that AMFA all in showing of support? The crickets are chirping.

I don’t believe AMFA National is supporting your drive. They haven’t ever put out anything official stating they were doing so. Can you show me anything official by Brett or anyone else at AMFA saying they’re motivated to take on the TWU/IAM Association?

The AFA has raided the IAM Drive for Delta Flight Attendants and they haven’t shown any fear whatsoever of making it publicly known. They’re all in 100%.

So where’s that AMFA all in showing of support? The crickets are chirping.

Wow you are really reaching there. The AFL-CIO process/dispute auspicies adjudicated that the IAM had a period to organize, they failed miserably now AFA-CWA is squandering cash and bandwidth at their fourth attempt at this.

You of all people should know it is not a raid if the group is currently unorganized.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts