American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Danker sending a letter like that, sounds like there is dissension within the association.

Actually how could there not be dissension within the association, two unions and there has to be differences between the local leaders having their responsibilities to their members and the international having their loyalties to the big picture, guessing to future members and dues coming in, and making sure the fine the association is going to receive is as little as possible.

Not to mention that both LAA LUS mechs probably the executives of AA certainly the lower level managers, think that the way the association was formed in such a nefarious manner that there can’t be anything but dissension within the association membership. Probably why the amfa card drive is going so fast.

Too bad the leadership of AFL CIO, twu and iam had little regard for the employees of AA and treated us like a source of revenue rather then members that pay dues to be represented, not accepting less to make sure Delta mechs get the highest pay to keep out a union.

With Danker sending a letter like that, sounds like there is dissension within the association.

Actually how could there not be dissension within the association, two unions and there has to be differences between the local leaders having their responsibilities to their members and the international having their loyalties to the big picture, guessing to future members and dues coming in, and making sure the fine the association is going to receive is as little as possible.

Not to mention that both LAA LUS mechs probably the executives of AA certainly the lower level managers, think that the way the association was formed in such a nefarious manner that there can’t be anything but dissension within the association membership. Probably why the amfa card drive is going so fast.

Too bad the leadership of AFL CIO, twu and iam had little regard for the employees of AA and treated us like a source of revenue rather then members that pay dues to be represented, not accepting less to make sure Delta mechs get the highest pay to keep out a union.
The way i read it its s letter to Dale asking him to forward the request for a final offer
I dont think its something Dale would do. But hey you never know.
SIGN A CARD FOR CHRISTMAS!

The last update was subtly arrogant. Obviously, the association may not care. I believe it does and will roll out a ta in the next 60 days. I believe Dave thinks there wont be anything next year.
I spoke to a union guy in negotiations and he asked me to scale back all the amfa stuff on my fb group because he claims it will hurt my fleet group. He also claimed a ta quickly. Said they agreed to 10% ps, and full retro.
Of course, talk is cheap. Dave or you may be closer to the truth but this phone call was about amfa so i know for a 100% fact they are concerned. And he also said that amfa leadership has a good relation with the twu and will never submit the cards. I hope that is wrong but imo the only way to find out is to keep signing.
Everything could be BS but one thing we know is that signing cards is the most powerful thing the mx can do.
I know you mean well Tim, but the phrase above that AMFA and TWU have a good relation and AMFA won't file the cards is false. They do in fact now have a much, much better relationship since AMFA moved in and request that all unions on property get unified and together with full support and berry all hatchets of the past at SWA. This has turned out for the best for all groups and unions at SWA. As far as the filing? If the AA mechs and related collect enough cards, which in past drives that magical number has been 60% plus and they will file. That number could very well be higher for the AA mechs as in past drives the co. as well as the unions at AA always pad their supply list with the dead, managers, sups and even people no longer working at AA, it might be as high as say 65%. Either way AMFA will have to file if the cards are collected, it's that simple. For someone to even mention that AMFA will never file is just false info and flat out wrong. Trust me, the top AMFA ND is from AA and was a very strong AMFA advocate when there. You really think he will pass on AA if they collect over 60% of cards? No way in hell.
The Horizon guys just came into AMFA with a collection of 62% cards. Now Spirit is ramrodding a strong card drive as well as just announced by AMFA. And there are 2-3 other airlines interested. Thee nergy all around the airline industry is picking up greatly since they have successfully nego two positive contracts as well as two seniority integrations. Most were waiting to see these 4 agreements to finish playing out and are now satisfied with the results and moving forward with getting AMFA in.
As far as your comment that AMFA coming in would hurt the fleet boys, this is not true at all. If anything it will help them more. With the mechs and related going AMFA then the fleets union can better focus on the fleet group and deal with the issues only that affect fleet and not all the other groups within the same union. Trust me, you are being asked to stop with the AMFA card drive info as they are scared to death of AMFA making it in. It really does not have anything to do with hurting the fleet boys at all, it has everything to do with them losing dues payers to keep their overwhelming salaries afloat. Plus they don't want another beat down by AMFA again.

Reactions: Duke787 and dfw gen
As far as your comment that AMFA coming in would hurt the fleet boys, this is not true at all. If anything it will help them more. With the mechs and related going AMFA then the fleets union can better focus on the fleet group and deal with the issues only that affect fleet and not all the other groups within the same union. Trust me, you are being asked to stop with the AMFA card drive info as they are scared to death of AMFA making it in. It really does not have anything to do with hurting the fleet boys at all, it has everything to do with them losing dues payers to keep their overwhelming salaries afloat. Plus they don't want another beat down by AMFA again.

Boys? I'm sure there was no malice intended, but that's insulting to the men & women on the ramp at all carriers.

Nailed it! Great post

Many NOT in local 514 have done the copy and paste method so the actual count is higher then what's displayed.
Do you really think this will do anything? Hopefully Danker gets enough push back over it that he’ll finally get pissed enough to tell Tulsa to sign cards.

Reactions: BeechDriver
Boys? I'm sure there was no malice intended, but that's insulting to the men & women on the ramp at all carriers.
No, not intended. Been using that lingo since in aviation. Might be a bit old school but I never claim to be PC.

I know you mean well Tim, but the phrase above that AMFA and TWU have a good relation and AMFA won't file the cards is false. They do in fact now have a much, much better relationship since AMFA moved in and request that all unions on property get unified and together with full support and berry all hatchets of the past at SWA. This has turned out for the best for all groups and unions at SWA. As far as the filing? If the AA mechs and related collect enough cards, which in past drives that magical number has been 60% plus and they will file. That number could very well be higher for the AA mechs as in past drives the co. as well as the unions at AA always pad their supply list with the dead, managers, sups and even people no longer working at AA, it might be as high as say 65%. Either way AMFA will have to file if the cards are collected, it's that simple. For someone to even mention that AMFA will never file is just false info and flat out wrong. Trust me, the top AMFA ND is from AA and was a very strong AMFA advocate when there. You really think he will pass on AA if they collect over 60% of cards? No way in hell.
The Horizon guys just came into AMFA with a collection of 62% cards. Now Spirit is ramrodding a strong card drive as well as just announced by AMFA. And there are 2-3 other airlines interested. Thee nergy all around the airline industry is picking up greatly since they have successfully nego two positive contracts as well as two seniority integrations. Most were waiting to see these 4 agreements to finish playing out and are now satisfied with the results and moving forward with getting AMFA in.

Stupid question but can you tell me the groups that are concidered "And Related" in mechs and related ?

Question for all, if the IAM and TWU members had different contract improvements in our contract. Meaning IAM guys would get certain improvements while twu guys wouldn’t (We have heard different rumors)

Would that cause dissenting views of a contract we would share, and both pay dues for?

Last edited:
Question for all, if the IAM and TWU members had different contract improvements in our contract. Meaning IAM guys would get certain improvements while twu guys wouldn’t (We have heard different rumors)

Would that cause dissenting views of a contract we would share, and both pay dues for?
Probably, but if you call it a JCBA then it suppose to be the same for all. It is taking two groups and joining them into one contractual agreement. It is suppose to eliminate the you and me and us and them into ALL members under the same agreement. That's why the association has been at it over four years now. Seniority and stations will merge. Everything should be the same or it will always be AA and USAIR or TWU and IAM. My opinion of course which means nothing anymore.

Stupid question but can you tell me the groups that are concidered "And Related" in mechs and related ?
Not a stupid question, most do not know, but only claim to know.
At SWA we have Aircraft Mechanics, cleaners (App. Techs) GSE, Plant Maint., Facility Maint., Instructors, & MC (I think that all of them by memory) Each group has their own contract, language, work rules and regs and each group votes for their group and issues and details concerning them.
As far as other groups than that (like at AA) I don't know what other groups might be wrapped up in what the NMB has ruled as "And Related", but those are what we have at SWA. And in case you ask, stores is not part of "And Related", they are still represented by the teamsters at SWA.
Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.