American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Racer X. And to all. I am LUS and an engaged IAM member. Have been since the IAM gained representation rights for Fleet Service. I have been around long enough to have witnessed all CBAs that have been negotiated by the IAM all the way back to the original 1999 Agreement for Fleet.. Different agreements negotiated by different Negotiating Committees and Leadership Slates. Two agreements (if you want to call them agreements) negotiated under bankruptcy. Every new and different Leadership slate and subsequent Negotiating Committees promise better results in negotiations for the next contract. It is not until they actually sit across the table from the company in negotiations that they realize how difficult it is to reach a fair and equitable agreement. I wish every member could sit in negotiations. The experience would be eye opening to many. Despite the public spin the company puts out there; we are viewed as a liability, a cost, a drag on their profits. With that; I tip my hat to the previous and current NCs. I believe they are doing their best. Gaining a fair and equitable agreement with this company is very challenging. Unfortunately, the focus too often, becomes what is best for the International and not necessarily the members affected. BTW... I have always felt SCOPE and protecting the current work is priority #1! I don't believe the preservation of the LUS medical or the IAM pension is the number 1 concern by the combined group IMO.
Thanks for the IAM member endorsement on SCOPE!!! I appreciate it.

I am doing exactly the opposite of ignoring the times, WeAAz..Those strikes were eons ago. The Eastern people had BALLS! Something the TWU never grew. AMFA had balls but waaaay too late.
Do you really think STRIKE talk is going to have the same effect here in 2018? C'mon WeAAz. I know it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that the ASSociation is talking tough, but there will be NO strike. So the ASSociation should not even use the word.
As far AS THE BILLIONS GO.....The mediator will be focusing more on industry comparison. Is Delta NOT making billions with B? Is UA not making billions with a B?

You’re confuaing the roles of a “Mediator” with an “Arbitrator” A Mediator is only a facilitator to try and help the two sides come to a deal through their personal experience and education in the process.

And of course the Government will never allow us to go on Strike. I have said that before here in the past so I have no reason to back away from that comment now.

Yea Eastern and NWA guys had balls. They had Matzo Balls in their soup is what they had. Balls, pfft. Sorry Brother.

I doubt losing deicing alone will cost jobs. It is not a 365 day a year function. All that will be lost is nice overtime.

Funny thing though, I don't recall any TWU tears being shed when maintenance lost deicing and pushbacks starting in 1983.

It sucks to be on the other side, doesn't it?
I hired on in 1983 and do not recall that happening. I was a B scale Part timer making $9.00 an hour and had more pressing issues on my mind. So no, you are correct, you didn't see a tear stream down my face, metal. As for being on the other side, yes, it sucks as you and I both are experiencing that right now with the Association and the discrepancies between the TWU and IAM.

Reactions: we're screwed
I doubt losing deicing alone will cost jobs. It is not a 365 day a year function. All that will be lost is nice overtime.

Funny thing though, I don't recall any TWU tears being shed when maintenance lost deicing and pushbacks starting in 1983.

Holy crap OMFG. 1983. 1983 was 35 freakin years ago man.

Corpses can’t shed tears even if that what you needed today in 2018.

I am doing exactly the opposite of ignoring the times, WeAAz..Those strikes were eons ago. The Eastern people had BALLS! Something the TWU never grew. AMFA had balls but waaaay too late.
Do you really think STRIKE talk is going to have the same effect here in 2018? C'mon WeAAz. I know it makes you feel warm and fuzzy that the ASSociation is talking tough, but there will be NO strike. So the ASSociation should not even use the word.
As far AS THE BILLIONS GO.....The mediator will be focusing more on industry comparison. Is Delta NOT making billions with B? Is UA not making billions with a B?

Lotsa Break Room heroes are quick to call for a strike, and then are the first to fold as soon as it becomes a real possibility.

t. It is not until they actually sit across the table from the company in negotiations that they realize how difficult it is to reach a fair and equitable agreement. I wish every member could sit in negotiations. The experience would be eye opening to many.

The membership should be demanding just that. Just imagine how quick the dynamics would change if dozens of rank and file people were in the room observing the talks.

Another opportunity lost for the Weez. Bummer.

You’re confuaing the roles of a “Mediator” with an “Arbitrator” A Mediator is only a facilitator to try and help the two sides come to a deal through their personal experience and education in the process.

And of course the Government will never allow us to go on Strike. I have said that before here in the past so I have no reason to back away from that comment now.

Yea Eastern and NWA guys had balls. They had Matzo Balls in their soup is what they had. Balls, pfft. Sorry Brother.
I am not confusing the two, WeAAz. I know exactly what the two are. I am simply saying what the mediator will look at. I want to see the unions reaction when he SUGGESTS similar scope of other airlines.
So Petersen and the ASSociation need to cut the STRIKE crap..It AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

You work in Miami. A few ex-Eastern mechanics in there. Go have a chat with them.

Last edited:

What is your effin' problem WeAAz? No one is allowed to discuss the past? It is against the WeAAz's forum rules?
Just like you are tired of hearing mechanics complain when they make so much money, I am tired of hearing about deicing or any other function that might be lost.
The TWU and your group especially gave not one rat's ass about what we lost.
I will invoke the past whenever I want. If you don't like me recalling history, feel free to put me on ignore.
Haven't you ever heard about learning from the past?
History repeating itself?

Metal you know fleet had their share of the job losses too

I am not confusing the two, WeAAz. I know exactly what the two are. I am simply saying what the mediator will look at. I want to see the unions reaction when he SUGGESTS similar scope of other airlines.
So Petersen and the ASSociation need to cut the STRIKE crap..It AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!

You work in Miami. A few ex-Eastern mechanics in there. Go have a chat with them.
They have to talk up something thats all they got.What are they going say we expect the company to give in,in 4 years

C’mon man you know the playbook. It never changes and both sides play the same worn out old books, Company and Union.

As far as Eaatern Mechanics go don’t need to do that. We have plenty of Ex whose-ee-what Airline folks all over the place in Fleet too. I even know an ex Eastern/ TWA Guy.

Besides I can’t understand honestly why you bash Gary? He said in one of his recent videos that he knows we have to give something up so it’s not like he’s being all tough guy naive.

And he was one of you AMFA guys in case you forgot. He even sued to try and stop the Association that you hate.

So he gets on the inside. Tells you all this new TWU Group isn’t like the old one and you turn on him like a pack of rabid dogs? People here even turned on Bob Owens when he said he liked what Harry Lombardo was doing a few years back. Turned like a pack of rabid dogs?

And BTW I’m not an AMT. Call Gary yourself and tell him what you want or don’t want from him? And he doesn’t write those Association updates either FYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.