American Airlines and Labor Negotiations

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure...maybe someone who got fired 2-3 years ago..off payroll and seniority list...just got their job back?

maybe someone with 2 seniorities transferred from one city to another and a clerical error gave this person more seniority than they deserve?

?

Funny how LAA has the least Stations (Delta before your merger had less) but somehow had WAY more Employees working when you separate the pre merged carriers? As a matter of fact the LAA Employee count was something the Airline Analysts never liked about the Airline prior to the Bankruptcy.

Now since I was talking to driver about Aircraft Maintenance can you tell me how their Scope is so terrible when they have insanely more people working at AA than SWA?

I know, I know. The only important thing to you about Scope is keeping those wee one widdle Pilot cities upped and staffed.

BTW Delta has 86,000 Employees
United has 88,000 Employees
Southwest has 57,000 Employees
And American has 126,000 Employees.

F Scope if you ain’t got too many jobs for it to matter. Not everyone finds that gold ticket in a Wonka bar.

Last edited:
We were told the pilots n the fas also are not happy bout the LAA insurance .

I think the FA’s have complained about it some. Their fight is now more going to be trying to rid themselves of the Hard 40 after they were dumb enough to stick themselves back with it after it was gone.

Anyway I don’t want our Negotiators thinking about or worrying about what the other Employee groups might want or not want.

We honestly don’t pay them for that and the other groups have their own Unions to bargain for them.

Actually driver you probably need to consider the History of SWA compared to AA.

SWA didn’t fly it’s first plane out of Texas until 1979. Prior to that from 71 to 79 it only flew in the State of Texas period.

Now I have to ask what year did the AMT’s at your Airline organize and what year did you gain your first CBA?

And of course even though you never had the numbers that the majors had in regards to an AMT workforce, Herb paid and treated you well so you never thought about the fight you might have in the future once Herb was gone.

TWU and IAM organized AA and US in 1947 and 1946 respectively. Many more years of Contract building there.
Weazz I believe the first was the IAM in 1973, then an inhouse union mechanics strike in 1980 , lasted one week. Teamsters from 1980 till 2003. AMFA from 2003 on. The only way you would ever unseat AMFA at SWA if we went beyond 8 years, and everyone was pissed off, then maybe you would get the Teamsters back. If that doesn't happen forget it.

Weazz I believe the first was the IAM in 1973, then an inhouse union mechanics strike in 1980 , lasted one week. Teamsters from 1980 till 2003. AMFA from 2003 on. The only way you would ever unseat AMFA at SWA if we went beyond 8 years, and everyone was pissed off, then maybe you would get the Teamsters back. If that doesn't happen forget it.

I tried to do some online research to find the History but no luck. So IAM in 1973 probably represented less than 100?

After that from 1979 on you probably kept growing your ranks.

And obviously we know the AMFA History.

I’d love to know your Contract History? Did the IAM get you a first deal? Why did the AMT’s dump them for the IBT? In 23 years how many Contracts did the IBT build at SWA?

Funny how LAA has the least Stations (Delta before your merger had less) but somehow had WAY more Employees working when you separate the pre merged carriers? As a matter of fact the LAA Employee count was something the Airline Analysts never liked about the Airline prior to the Bankruptcy.

Now since I was talking to driver about Aircraft Maintenance can you tell me how their Scope is so terrible when they have insanely more people working at AA than SWA?

I know, I know. The only important thing to you about Scope is keeping those wee one widdle pilot cities upped and staffed.

The only thing important about scope is, well, scope.

Kinda silly to try and brag about ~70 years of “contract building” when the last 10-15 have been spent tearing it down.

I tried to do some online research to find the History but no luck. So IAM in 1973 probably represented less than 100?

After that from 1979 on you probably kept growing your ranks.

And obviously we know the AMFA History.

I’d love to know your Contract History? Did the IAM get you a first deal? Why did the AMT’s dump them for the IBT? In 23 years how many Contracts did the IBT build at SWA?
southwest ramp was iam as well. They were so awful that the rampers were the only group ever to actually trigger a vote to dump the iam. Then the rampers formed ropa, which had the best ramp contract ever in the industry. Squidd, who i knew and their attorney Cloutman were often called by me to pick their brains. Ropa leaders then sought out a partner to merge with and cut a deal with the twu. There was never a vote since the ropa constitution allowed the merger without a vote.

Reactions: GVPSPIAM
So what? LAA has the least stations of any legacy carrier. Some of the crappiest scope to boot.

Funny how all these so called “trade unionists” are so quick to sh*t on their peers, isn’t it?

Even more so when it’s coming from people that aren’t even in the industry anymore.

I’m curious to see how this turns out, and I’ll tell you this; not having a system seniority list anymore really really sucks. I miss it.
Twu only has 17 stations but only 5 cargo centers. They waived all rights to central load, tower jobs, catering, etc. And for all practical purposes they only have 10 or so stations since 4 stations are "when and where directed" with others to follow.
They have high numbers because they are cheap and used to do work at other airlines. We probably do 5-10 other airlines here in ord.

They barely do maintenance , they outsource more than any other airline. Have 2,700 mechanics for 800 planes, you have at least five times the amount.

No local Presidents are on negotiations for the IAM, different structure, District and Grand Lodge Reps.

And the majority of the membership is angry with both unions for that very reason.
If there were continuous updates of truth from the negotiations the membership would be at least neutral.

there is zero membership input at iam. The twu actually signed off on iam procedure and allowed local presidents to get the boot.

There is zero input at TWU. The TWU International may have signed off but the local Presidents have been kicked out of negotiations since basically the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.