American Airlines Just Surveyed All Its Employees – And Things Are Pretty Bad

DAT sounds like what used to be a PVD (personal vacation day, borrowed against your existing allotment or next year's allotment).

Working double-double-single has always seemed like a safety issue the union willfully ignores. It implies you've had less than 8 hours of rest two days in a row.

I can do back to back doubles with no problem. Done it for years now. It depends on what I'm about to do in the future; ie: the following week. I usually do them near the weekend, or if I'm about to go on vacation and need some extra cash. Or I'm doing a favor for someone and doing their shift (along with mine). Most people are kind enough to return the favor if I need a day. Some people commute, so they can do back to backs with no problem, make up their hours, and then go home. Some guys are just out there trying to make money. I can't blame them! They are the ones making over 100K a year. It depends how motivated you are. When I was younger and single, I tried to make as much money as I could, (even with having a second job which I have for years) because you never know what the future lies in this crazy business - like being furloughed. Our system that we have now makes sure that you can't work over 16 hours. Some guys used to wind up working 18 hours (overlapping), or doing a double and then a couple of hours extra. Not anymore. The new system won't let you. And you can't even pick up a trade that will exceed your 16 hours (ie: picking up a overlapping shift in the same work area)

that's all great. none of us here can tell you not to work x-amount of hours..

the issue that was brought up was the lax CS policy. for those honest FSCs, they have to jump 2 hurdles; working and being there. sure, it's always nice to get a CS - once in a while, with a friendly crew chief. 'you deserve a break today' - mcdonald's circa 1979.

the scammers only have 1 hurdle, just being there. day after day after day after day. the CS 'club' hooks up the crew chief, the c/c then, 'hooks' up those in the 'club' working in his area. work area is now down 1-2-3 FSCs.

this is why the lax CS policy was criticized and some that did the company survey made it known to the company.

But it isn't just PT to desire a liberal drop/swap policy... plenty of FT do, as well, and some even do down into PT number of weekly hours too!

I agree the Company has no obligation to cover people who are barely here, and I think there is general agreement. While I recognize long-term, FT workers have paid decades of dues, I assume they were represented during that time, as well? We all pay dues, both PT and FT, and those payment were for representation during that time of employment.

In terms of "better" or more desirable work locations and times, operational necessity should dictate the allocation of PT and FT shifts. We are never going to find a perfect bidding routine as FT will trade even amongst themselves as lower seniority guys find themselves with more desired times and locations if they are doubling with a higher seniority person. There has always been plenty of gamesmanship when people buddy bid.

it is true, many FTers want the lax CS policy...for, whatever reason(s). when aa didn't allow F/T to cs with P/T, you still had cops and firemen seeking p/t employment here. i don't see anything catastrophic here.

as far as allocation of shifts and operational necessity; to me, it's the local that needs to step in and insist on making as many am shifts F/T as possible. from there, work on increasing weekends off for F/T. my opinion.

but...if you have/had P/Ters on bid committee...good luck.

Lol.

A couple, actually. All these spox must go to the same finishing school.
They all went to the same management seminars, and learn the same corporate-speak phrases. For instance, "improving the culture." Firing a bunch of long-term employees and outsourcing the work to India or some other place is called "enhancing shareholder value." Firing (laying off implies chance of recall) long-term employees, but not managers is called right-sizing. If it is down-sizing then managers are also being let go.

Reactions: Kev3188
DAT sounds like what used to be a PVD (personal vacation day, borrowed against your existing allotment or next year's allotment).

Working double-double-single has always seemed like a safety issue the union willfully ignores. It implies you've had less than 8 hours of rest two days in a row.
Our guys at SWA do it all the time.

Latest posts