American Airlines Makes Executive Appointment for Miami Hub Operations

WeAAsles

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
FORT WORTH, Texas, Feb. 22, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- American Airlines Group Inc. (AAL) today announced that Ralph Lopez has been promoted to Vice President – Miami Hub (MIA) Operations. He is succeeding Marilyn DeVoe, who will retire from American this summer after nearly 40 years with the airline. 

“Ralph is a tremendous leader who has an impressive track record of leading teams that deliver strong operational performance,” said Kerry Philipovitch, senior vice president – Customer Experience. “In addition, he has had extensive experience with our operations in Mexico, the Caribbean and Latin America. Given our Miami hub’s link to that region of the world, he is the ideal person to support our 11,000-plus Miami-based team members.”

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/american-airlines-makes-executive-appointment-173000378.html

Wow... a legacy AA'er getting a promotion? That hasn't happened much since the merger.

It's bittersweet to see Marilyn retire -- my time working in her organization was among the high points of my time at AA.

Reactions: 1 person
It's been a pleasure knowing Marilyn. At least as far as I'm concerned I consider her to be a very sharp and fair lady. She earned a great retirement. I'll miss our conversations. 

I'll give you a funny story E. We had a CC years ago back in DFW that used to go upstairs and sit around the gates at his lunch time and fall asleep. We used to warn him to stop doing that. Well one time a lady approached him, woke him up and asked him what he was doing? His response was "I'm on lunch" So the lady went "Oh Ok" and she walked away. A little over 30 minutes later she came back and he was still sleeping. She woke him up again and asked him "Do you know who I am?" No. Well I'm Marilyn Devoe and I'm the Station Manager here and you're fired.

What gave me a good impression about Marilyn was that she brought the guy back 3 days later. And she could have made things a lot more difficult then that for him. 

Funny also that I found out years later after having gotten to know her that she indirectly hired me because she was the person who hired my friend Jerry back in LGA in 86.

Reactions: 2 people
Fair is a great way to describe her. Great sense of humor as well, and I never once saw her lose her temper.