American ending New York - San Juan flights

Article says non-stop service will continue from other hubs--lncluding, ORD, PHL, CLT. At this time, Travel Planner shows no non-stops between ORD or PHL to SJO. 6days/week from CLT (no Tuesday service). Seasonal service from ORD and PHL? I'm surprised there is any non-stop service other than from MIA. Once we no longer needed the rj service to the islands, I thought MIA was to replace SJO as the plane change airport for the Caribbean.

Oh, no wonder. I could have sworn I was typing SJU, but I've been going to SJO to have some major dental work done; so, I guess out of habit I typed SJO.

CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST: ORD has 1 flight/day ORD-SJU; CLT has 2 CLT-SJU, and PHL has 3 PHL-SJU.

Amazing what you find when you use the correct airport designator code. Thanks, Kirkpatrick..

Last edited:
Here's some food for thought on this...

1) Florida replaced NYC as having the largest "expat" population of Puerto Rican's outside the island a couple years ago. Historically, NYC was the largest.

2) NYC's PR population has been on the decline, with fewer moving there from the island and many of those who had moved there relocating to less expensive places (including Florida)

3) The island has been in an economic decline and recession for over 12 years, and that's causing an unemployment rate double anything on the mainland, *and* a labor participation rate of ~40%

Lots of reasons why NYC-SJU is no longer a great market to be in, and why MIA-SJU is a better investment for AA.

Latest posts