American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

Swamt. I read the other day SWA may or will lay off up to 1200 BWI based fleet service n I think close to 1200 in the SJC OAK n SFO area. Any information on it?

Swamt. I read the other day SWA may or will lay off up to 1200 BWI based fleet service n I think close to 1200 in the SJC OAK n SFO area. Any information on it?

Those are all part of the total included that have received WARN letters so far. I will leave you the list the co. put out and numbers in different groups. As far as the layoffs themselves, none has taken place at this point. And nego's are still on going as well as discussions on any way to save $$$. The first set of layoffs were with the stores folks to be started late Jan 2021 if need be. Then the Mechanics and related received WARN letters and as of Dec 3 2020 all the rest of unions on property also received WARN letters. So far that is as far as it has gone, just receiving the WARN letters so far. I am sure there will be more shuffling around any way to avoid the layoffs as much as possible. Our CEO sure the heck does not want the layoff history on his resume, not even for one employee. They are really hoping that congress will come thru with some sort of PSP to assist longer down the road in order to avoid said layoffs.

Here is the list of groups and numbers: Mind you; the Flight Instructors represented by the TWU 557 came to an agreement on concessions with the co.

On Dec. 3, we issued 6,828 WARN notices across the remaining workgroups. This affects:
 2,551 Ramp, Provisioning, Ops, and Cargo Agents represented by TWU 555
 1,176 Customer Service Agents represented by IAM
 370 CS&S and SOS Representatives represented by IAM
 1,500 Flight Attendants represented by TWU 556 12/3/2020 Return to top
 1,221 Pilots represented by SWAPA
 6 Flight Instructors represented by TWU 557
 4 Flight Sim Techs represented by IBT

Also included is 42 stores employees represented by the IBT
403 AMFA represented employees in the Mechanic and Related

Not knowing what all the groups are that are considered "fleet service" at your airline so I listed all the groups that have so far received the WARN letters. Also remember, not all WARN letter employees will get laid off.
If anything changes I will update.

Reactions: robbedagain
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your people at WN have short layoffs if any. When I was furloughed in July 2003, it was supposed to be for an unknown number of f years starting 07/01/03. I was recalled to work effective 11/17/04--approx. 1.5 years. I didn't get recalled to DFW where I was when first laid off, but I did get STL which is a 1 hour commuter flight and was a great base to have. Thanks to WN, getting an assignment to STL was an easy commute. We had a late night flight on WN from STL to DFW which we called the AA Commuter flight getting a bunch of us home after a trip. Most nights the great majority of the passengers on that flight were either AA flight attendants or AA pilots.. Unfortunately, WN had to cancel that flight from the schedule eventually for some reason.:rolleyes::D

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your people at WN have short layoffs if any. When I was furloughed in July 2003, it was supposed to be for an unknown number of f years starting 07/01/03. I was recalled to work effective 11/17/04--approx. 1.5 years. I didn't get recalled to DFW where I was when first laid off, but I did get STL which is a 1 hour commuter flight and was a great base to have. Thanks to WN, getting an assignment to STL was an easy commute. We had a late night flight on WN from STL to DFW which we called the AA Commuter flight getting a bunch of us home after a trip. Most nights the great majority of the passengers on that flight were either AA flight attendants or AA pilots.. Unfortunately, WN had to cancel that flight from the schedule eventually for some reason.:rolleyes::D
Jim,
Did you mean SLT to Dal not DFW? We've never flown into DFW that I know of except for a flight that had to do an emergency landing once or twice. And when that happened some aviators were calling us and even writing in these forums asking; "Is Southwest starting flights at DFW??" They were so excited to see a Red Belly Bird fly into DFW, but, it was either and emergency flight or I have heard of chartered flights into DFW by us years back. Now I could be wrong, maybe SWA called them all chartered flights to help out the employees to get back to work at DFW, ya never know with Southwest.

Thx swamt. For us. Fleet is ramp. MX is maintenance. Stores I think may fall under MX but not 100% sure on it.

robbed,
I should have added this in my update to ya before. Just receive a memo from out Local President reminding us all that the "Expedited Arbitration" starts today and last all week. Starting first with AMT's on the 14th and 15th, Appearance Techs. on the 16th, FMT's on the 17th, leaving the 18th for any follow ups or continued discussions if needed. Not sure when we will hear of a decision, but I think the AMFA put out an update expecting an answer by no later than Jan 25th. Maybe we will get an update after this full week of litigations, if so I will update you again.
We do not have ramp (baggage handlers) in our "and Related" they are covered by the TWU 556 I do believe FYI.

Reactions: robbedagain
Jim,
Did you mean SLT to Dal not DFW? We've never flown into DFW that I know of except for a flight that had to do an emergency landing once or twice. And when that happened some aviators were calling us and even writing in these forums asking; "Is Southwest starting flights at DFW??" They were so excited to see a Red Belly Bird fly into DFW, but, it was either and emergency flight or I have heard of chartered flights into DFW by us years back. Now I could be wrong, maybe SWA called them all chartered flights to help out the employees to get back to work at DFW, ya never know with Southwest.

Force of habit. If it's anything to do with Dallas, TX, with me you get FW after the D.:eek::D:)
Of course, I meant DAL. I loved that flight. When we pulled up to the gate at DAL, I was only 5 miles from home. That means a lot at almost midnight at the end pf a long day.

Force of habit. If it's anything to do with Dallas, TX, with me you get FW after the D.:eek::D:)
Of course, I meant DAL. I loved that flight. When we pulled up to the gate at DAL, I was only 5 miles from home. That means a lot at almost midnight at the end pf a long day.
Thought so.
Hey I still say "never say never" On SWA at some point being at DFW. If SWA is not successful on getting to fly some/part international out of LF then I foresee them quite possibly moving some over to DFW. It would be years before something like that would take place but, I wouldn't discount it completely.

For the folks keeping up with the industry downsizing:

AMFA and SWA wrapped up this weeks "expedited arbitration" for the mechanics and related. Looks like we will find out by Jan 24th. Hope they are successful as they were at Alaska. Also hope no matter the outcome that a relief bill will make it out here soon, if PSP is extended it will save some jobs as well as other airlines will have to call back previously furloughed and laid off employees. 2 day extension to get er done. Not much in detail on the latest update but at least an update is given on the time frame. 3 seperate arbitrators (interesting) could be 3 seperate rulings I guess, one for each group, maybe dependant on contract language.

AMFA-SWA ALR MEMBERSHIP UPDATE #6
Updated On: Dec 18, 2020
lg-share-en.gif

December 18, 2020

To All AMFA Members at Southwest Airlines:

The expedited arbitrations concerning the “Reduction in Force” for all three AMFA represented groups began on Monday the 14th and concluded this afternoon. Each Arbitration case had a separate arbitrator assigned. The AMT arbitration was conducted on Monday and Tuesday and utilized an hour this morning to conclude. The Appearance Tech case was held on Wednesday and utilized a good portion of today to conclude. The FMT case was held Thursday and finished up around 7pm Dallas time on that same day. In a typical arbitration, our CBA requires a decision no later than ninety (90) days. Due to the expedited process and consolidated time frame, the arbitrators, prior to taking on these cases, agreed to work hard to render their decisions prior to January 24th.

In the meantime, your ALRs are still hopeful the Company will consider various credit items, insourcing of work and voluntary programs that we have previously proposed. We are also hopeful that a new PSP for airlines will be passed by the House and Senate. We will keep the membership posted on any new developments.

In Solidarity,
Your AMFA–SWA Airline Representatives

Will the AA mechanics and related get called back to work if this new PSP is passed?
If they are called back, will they have to be added to the eligibility list submitted by AA to the NMB investigator, Boutista? Or were they already on the list even though on furlough or layoff? Just curious how they get handled in these current issues?

My understanding of past practices is if your on furlough or leave with recall status then your eligible.
Once you voluntarily separate from the company such as retire or take a early out which is the same as retire then your not eligible. Pretty much if you can be recalled then your counted as a eligible voter.

Latest posts