American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

FYI:

The Senate Comte is on live now slamming American Airlines and United for their recent announcement of no longer leaving middle seats empty. Senators are asking the gov to step in and order them to stop. If the gov does this, the gov will be on notice to offset the cost of doing such an order from the gov. This is where the Pilots would be correct to seek the financial compensation for leaving middle seats open for all airlines, if so ordered.
None of them are agreeing with American and United's decision to start filling all seats.
But, as I said, if so ordered, then compensation for the left open seats are in order for the airlines.
Wonder if the airlines will change their minds?

Wonder if the airlines will change their minds?

Probably not. My take is that you make money while you can, and worry about the government screwing things up later.

If masks keep you safe everywhere else, surely you're fine on an airplane?

If the data point given by AA is true that given the opportunity to move, only about 6% of customers actually took them up on it, I'm guessing that it's not as important in the bigger scheme of health vs. time it takes to get from point A to point B.

But yeah, you'll have Congresscritters standing in line itching to get their 7 seconds of soundbyte on the evening news by slamming airlines.

Leaving the middle seat open is not a six foot distance between the other two seats. I thought it was a good faith move that it would show we care about our passengers by going beyond the CDC guidelines recommending a mask or facial covering if you can't maintain a minimal distance of six feet and leaving the middle seat open. So now the airlines are being realistic by following the CDC guidelines of masks or facial coverings within the six feet. Even the government recommends the CDC's recommendations. Now the government is upset with the airlines because they comply with the CDC's recommendations and yet the government encourages the CDC's recommendations. Reality time has arrived. Travel is up. Flights are filling up. People want to go out and travel. It's now common place to wear a mask or facial covering. So what has changed if your traveling?
If wearing a mask and the Covid-19 virus is going to be around for a while then we need to realize businesses have to reopen and stay open to survive and serve the public. If the government imposes no middle seat then the government should pay for that middle seat going empty.

I hear ya LuLu, and hope ya find that silver lining and your better half remains safe.
I have no doubt she will get laid off.

That is OK. We have made preparations.

I am in the same boat as you guys. My household is about to take a major financial hit as well.

Hopefully this COVID thing will blow over soon (I am guessing.... about Nov 5th......).

Probably not. My take is that you make money while you can, and worry about the government screwing things up later.

If masks keep you safe everywhere else, surely you're fine on an airplane?

If the data point given by AA is true that given the opportunity to move, only about 6% of customers actually took them up on it, I'm guessing that it's not as important in the bigger scheme of health vs. time it takes to get from point A to point B.

But yeah, you'll have Congresscritters standing in line itching to get their 7 seconds of soundbyte on the evening news by slamming airlines.

I’m sure our good friends on Virginia Avenue are already crafting a message as well.

So if they want the airlines to continue down the path to bankruptcy then yes by all means limit the seats we can sell or as the ALPA has suggested buy those seats.
Hell even the FA association has been upfront about fewer passengers
If the government doesn’t step in a second time there is no doubt there will be chapter 7s coming in the very near future.
During an election year I rather doubt they want to see that but with the democrats in charge who knows since we know how much they hate big business

Typical AA management, I put in for LOA, window closed June 27th. Cannot get an answer if it is a go or not, they say they are 20% heavy on employees, yet they drag their feet on saving some money. Unreal. This company will never make it.
Sometimes you get your answer without them saying a word.

I think they gave you your answer alright, you just did not like what they had to say.

Leaving the middle seat open is not a six foot distance between the other two seats. I thought it was a good faith move that it would show we care about our passengers by going beyond the CDC guidelines recommending a mask or facial covering if you can't maintain a minimal distance of six feet and leaving the middle seat open. So now the airlines are being realistic by following the CDC guidelines of masks or facial coverings within the six feet. Even the government recommends the CDC's recommendations. Now the government is upset with the airlines because they comply with the CDC's recommendations and yet the government encourages the CDC's recommendations. Reality time has arrived. Travel is up. Flights are filling up. People want to go out and travel. It's now common place to wear a mask or facial covering. So what has changed if your traveling?
If wearing a mask and the Covid-19 virus is going to be around for a while then we need to realize businesses have to reopen and stay open to survive and serve the public. If the government imposes no middle seat then the government should pay for that middle seat going empty.
87% load factor system wide Wednesday. I'll check Thursday if Wednesday's load factor held up

87% load factor system wide Wednesday. I'll check Thursday if Wednesday's load factor held up
but its 87% of less that 50% of the regular schedule. so to support what was, that would be 43% load factor of the full schedule.