American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

July 1st. More management layoffs throughout the system. Some good guys let go. Some took early out. I wonder if that saved some jobs or they already had their minds made up to get rid of the ones that didn't comply to the rules of the new AmericaWest management team?

July 1st. More management layoffs throughout the system. Some good guys let go. Some took early out. I wonder if that saved some jobs or they already had their minds made up to get rid of the ones that didn't comply to the rules of the new AmericaWest management team?
It appears the management people shown the door were all LAA folks.

but its 87% of less that 50% of the regular schedule. so to support what was, that would be 43% load factor of the full schedule.
Not really a lot more goes into it then that .My point was people flying despite new outbreaks

Sure its going to come back, slowly and in fits and starts
Yeah, but I'm not sure it will come all the way any time soon. There are several guys and gals in my neighborhood who are bemoaning the loss of dinner at the Hyatt Regency in Houston and sleeping on the custom built beds in the Tokyo Hilton. Their companies discovered that they can do a lot of their work from home with a telephone and/or ZOOM-type software. Air travel and face to face meetings are no longer essential to the business at hand.

This change to the work process has been coming for some time. Fits and starts as you said. but we (the IT department at Texaco) saw it (back in the late 70's) as eventually essential. It just saved way too much money for the old way to survive.

Last edited:
It appears the management people shown the door were all LAA folks.

Same phenomena at HDQ. I'm in a Facebook group for current and former airline folks, and it's almost all LAA folks saying goodbye from MSS, and a bunch of LUS folks wondering why we can't all just get along...

All hubs losing flights.
That's true. What appears to me is if DP states AA be 30% over in workers and w 8K FAs to be furloughed n at least 2 crew basrs...STL n RDU shut to meit says AA is more likely in a worse situation than say DL n UA.

It really hit home for me when a guy showed up on my gate who was born after I was hired...
I got thousands of those,I got my free senior pass to a local beach.on the mail the other day I wanted to rip it up.I got age denial issues

Reactions: Kev3188
Yeah, but I'm not sure it will come all the way any time soon. There are several guys and gals in my neighborhood who are bemoaning the loss of dinner at the Hyatt Regency in Houston and sleeping on the custom built beds in the Tokyo Hilton. Their companies discovered that they can do a lot of their work from home with a telephone and/or ZOOM-type software. Air travel and face to face meetings are no longer essential to the business at hand.

This change to the work process has been coming for some time. Fits and starts as you said. but we (the IT department at Texaco) saw it (back in the late 70's as eventually essential. It just saved way too much money for the old way to survive.
And that's why they're shrinking and all airlines will adjust Parker said the cuts by all airlines is the equivalent of one major leaving the industry,same thing happened before when the industry parked planes and merged

I think AA will eventually dehub some cities and permanently stop serving many smaller markets.
Shift flights to more profitable cities and focus on maximizing loads and profits. We might see more connecting flights than before. Eventually it will all come back except the flights that never had good load factors.