American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by jimntx, May 21, 2020.

1. V.O. Reason

V.O. Reason Veteran

Bla bla bla, I’ve heard and read the doom and gloom for AA many times.
    AA is in no worse shape than any of the other carriers and he misstates about the cash burn in that it was only around 30 million in June.
    They have no outstanding debt payouts for at least a year in a half and thus guy also speaks of older aircraft retirements, a yeah I think AA has already done that for several types.
    I’ve read others say AA position with newer aircraft is a positive over other airlines.
    These investors all have their opinions but not one of know exactly what will happen.
    These are unprecedented times and we are all going to have tough days ahead but these doom and gloom articles do nobody any good

2. Insp4

Insp4 Veteran

#812 Insp4, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Jim, I really don't take any pleasure in posting this! I have been there and it really isn't fun for anyone!....... Let's just hope and pray it doesn't happen, but it's also good to be prepared for it if it does! .......Just saying! I've got a vested interest in this also seeing I'm a AA retiree!...... On the plus side, I believe Idid hear there maybe more relief, $$$, coming for the Airlines, from Trump and Company, but that would be subject to Palosi's blessing!

3. Insp4

Insp4 Veteran

#813 Insp4, Jul 31, 2020
    Well fella, Let's hope you are right!...... But in times like these, it may be a good idea to be prepared for the worse, but hope for the best! Again, Just saying!

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

#814 jimntx, Jul 31, 2020
    Daddy must have money and you are working for fun. Us pore folks don't write sentences that include the phrase "only" $30 million." BTW, the $50 million daily cash burn figure came from AA's quarterly reports. Are you saying that AA is cooking the books? That's a pretty serious charge to make.
    Having no outstanding debt payouts for at least a year and a half can be a good thing if it means that all of your current cash is yours for the using as you see fit. However, in this case you will have to assume that investors don't know how to realize the massive size of that "next year" debt, and we didn't save any to pay that debt. There is a financial reckoning coming for AA. I realize that they can "refinance" some or all of the debt, but what is that other than paying off debts by taking on additional debts. There is a point where our cash sources dry up because they don't see a way for the money owed to them to be repaid.

5. usairways_vote_NO

#815 usairways_vote_NO, Jul 31, 2020
  6. Rogallo

Rogallo Veteran

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

I got one of those beauties in 2003. Furloughed 7/1/03. Recalled 11/17/04. Flight attendants did not have bumping privileges. I was furloughed from DFW. Recalled to STL (the best of the 3 bases I could select).

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ALUS78

ALUS78 Veteran

#818 ALUS78, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    I dont understand Jim he seems like a nice man yet he seems to find pleasure in AA bad news.I read an article just yesterday that stated AA bankruptcy fears aren't warranted. I also dont know what Jim means by failing 11 or 7? I've seen enough in my years to know that AA could file 11 and fly around for years.All the airlines are in trouble, hell the country is in trouble.Ever think of the repercussions if 1 of the big 4 failed? What a dire state the country would be in? Boeing wouldn't get an order for ten years

9. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

10. Insp4

Insp4 Veteran

Got to say, you don't want to go through a Chap.11, and 7 is liquidation!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. swamt

swamt Veteran

I beg to differ. AA is in, probably, the worst shape of all the main airlines right now. For several reasons. Debt, cost, balance sheet, maturing debt in 2022, overstaffed from the merger still and even with all the folks taking early outs and leaves. The only 3 airlines that have so far said no layoffs for the time being is SWA, Dalta, and JetBlue. All 3 got the numbers they needed on their packages and will hopefully continue going forward with no layoffs. I see both AA and maybe UAL both possibly laying off come Oct 1st unless another extension is passed. I also think AA will still need to reduce employees due to the merger even if the extension passes.
    To say AA is in no worse shape than any other airline is telling me you are wearing blinders or just not willing to admit it so denying it to get thru.

So I counted 57 AMT's per page with 34 pages. This equates to 1938 AMT's on this warn list. Does this mean that all will be affected one way or another? Or is it an overcasted list? I hope not all on this list is getting layoff or rifs. What a punch in the gut.

12. BigTex

BigTex Member

"So I counted 57 AMT's per page with 34 pages. This equates to 1938 AMT's on this warn list. Does this mean that all will be affected one way or another? Or is it an overcasted list? I hope not all on this list is getting layoff or rifs. What a punch in the gut"

Supposedly, AA sends out triple the amount of letters than actually needed to account for various scenarios. This all according to Dale Danker TWU 514

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Rogallo

Rogallo Veteran

The most likely scenario to happen is that they just screw it up.......like they've always done.

"We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two"!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

I tried to tell you (the Forums) all of this a month ago.

AA has a high debt load and a ton of 737's sitting around collecting dust.

I am glad the reality of the situation is finally settling in for some of you.

I would not panic but concern is absolutely justified.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

Of course you have. It makes money for the media.

You are deluding yourself. High debt load and a bunch of grounded aircraft put them in worse shape.

Except the 737's sitting on the ground.

True.

Except the media making money off internet traffic.