American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

It would not matter. The other 3 would simply absorb the fallen airlines assets and it would be business as usual just as it has been with every other airline bankruptcy or merger.

I really don't understand why you think it would be DIRE when noone is flying anyway? We have too much airline and not enough passengers right now. You really think losing one right now would matter to the general public who is not flying anyway? NOPE!!!

The guy is just trying to cope.

Well no.... they use computer modeling to see who could potentially be affected. The key word there is POTENTIALLY. However that potential is NEVER 100 percent realized. Even if you are in the middle of the list that is no guarantee you are going to get hit. Been through that sh*t show too many times.
Dire consequences for Boeing and Airbus should one of the big 4 liquidate.As far as debt its reworked all the time, if not file for 11 and have an advantage over all the other carriers

A bit off topic here, however non union airlines like jetblue and Delta, for the people who don't get furloughed, could change a full time job to mean " 30 " hours a week, and hire MORE low cost 'ready reserves' when things finally pick-up, PLUS shred any and all benefits currently in place now. Furloughed folks have NO contractual recall rights !

Am I correct Kev3188 ?

A bit off topic here, however non union airlines like jetblue and Delta, for the people who don't get furloughed, could change a full time job to mean " 30 " hours a week, and hire MORE low cost 'ready reserves' when things finally pick-up, PLUS shred any and all benefits currently in place now. Furloughed folks have NO contractual recall rights !

Am I correct Kev3188 ?
Delta and JetBlue are not non union airlines. They have unions on the property. Not all work groups have unions similar to others. I know what you meant but I wanted to bring that out so people won't get confused or misled and compare apples to oranges in the same work groups.

The most likely scenario to happen is that they just screw it up.......like they've always done.

"We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two"!
Seems that commercial has worked on you. Good timing though :)

I’m not deluding myself in saying it’s not bad, of course it is.
As far as Delta and others say no layoffs, well I guess we will see when the fall traffic remains low and their bottom line continues to get worse.
And I’m curious if WN is in such wonderful shape why is their CEO out in the public supporting an extension of the CARES act.
You would think if there in such a good place he would say we are good don’t need the help
As far as the fall, SWA says no layoffs this year at all. Not sure how long Delta is saying at this time or JB. But they did say they should be able to avoid involuntary leaves with the number of takers of their offered packages as well as an agreement at JB for no layoffs with their employees.
No one has said SWA is in wonderful shape. But, it has been reported (media) that SWA is in the best shape of all airlines with it's best balance sheets, cash on hand and in the works of attaining if needed. It is the ONLY airline with investment credit ratings currently (yes now, even though we are the middle of a slowdown crisis) from all 3 agencies, no other airline has that and that is what will get SWA billions more if needed, but our CEO doesn't want to pull that trigger unless it's gets way worse. And, currently SWA has enough cash on hand to go 2 plus years now at current losses, current level of employees and will get better when 28% employees exit or take the leaves which will directly save 400 million plus in the 4th Q.
As far as our CEO out supporting the extension to go thru is mainly for him to be able to keep the best no layoffs or furloughs record of any airline out there for almost 50 years now. It's more of a pride thing. There is still more steps SWA can take prior to any layoffs or furloughs, and if it gets really, really ugly, I can assure you the employees will step up do what they have to do if needed. Don't forget back in the 90's when the employees stepped up and paid for fuel cost to help out.
Don't get all this wrong, SWA is also hurting badly. It's just that SWA has ALWAYS saved and stashed away in good times to better weather the bad times. AA did not do this after the merger and kept spending the cash freely on other items to help pad the pockets of their CEO and officers.
Final word is ALL the airlines are getting hit hard as hell. SWA is the best prepared, then prob. Delta, Alaska, and JB. AA and United are probably in the worse shape but still not totally sure which one is at the bottom. Some anylist say AA is, but United might be a close one as well. Hope this helps how I was thinking.

It would not matter. The other 3 would simply absorb the fallen airlines assets and it would be business as usual just as it has been with every other airline bankruptcy or merger.

I really don't understand why you think it would be DIRE when noone is flying anyway? We have too much airline and not enough passengers right now. You really think losing one right now would matter to the general public who is not flying anyway? NOPE!!!

Understand, and why I was being a bit compassionate on my response. People are on edge right now everywhere, so trying to hold back a bit.

Reactions: Rogallo
right. you keep saying that aa has planes parked in the desert..so, ua, southwest and delta have full planes flying around the nation and world?

delta, united and southwest are in no position to pick up aa's pieces, if aa goes under. if aa goes under, it would be a matter of days before everyone else did, because of the advantage a business has in chapter 11 over it's competitors. aa learned that in the 2000s.

this is not 1991 (i had this debate with someone else) where aa and dl were making money for years and were able to pick up eastern's and pan am's scraps to get even stronger.

no one is making money today. the airlines and govt realized months ago the danger for the entire american airline industry.

that article, the author compared aa's april-may-june cash burn rate with dl's and ua's june cash burn rate.
Yes we all have planes on the ground. As far as SWA is concerned when the pandemic first hit SWA set 400 a/c on the ground in April. With that slight uptick they started throwing more planes back in the air to support the Southwest Promise of distancing seating leaving all middle seats open. Our mid year update from CEO, he said we now have 100 a/c on the ground not counting the Maxes so add those too at 37.
SWA is ready to for a very quick recovery if need be, and can very easily pick up any and all AA's passengers if need be. As in most all BK's though they won't get them all, it will get spread thru-out the industry, but I can assure you that SWA is perfectly cable of handling a huge upload if need be. matter fact they are counting on it, trust me, if someone starts to fold or down SWA will pounce in a heartbeat, and once again they are the best prepared to do so quickly.

We have recall rights, but the rest is pretty much dead-on.
Hey Kev.
You guys still hearing no layoffs for anyone at the big "D"?
They say were safe thru end of year and hopefully the extension will go thru for the PPP in congress to help even more thru March 21.

Seems that commercial has worked on you. Good timing though :)

As far as the fall, SWA says no layoffs this year at all. Not sure how long Delta is saying at this time or JB. But they did say they should be able to avoid involuntary leaves with the number of takers of their offered packages as well as an agreement at JB for no layoffs with their employees.
No one has said SWA is in wonderful shape. But, it has been reported (media) that SWA is in the best shape of all airlines with it's best balance sheets, cash on hand and in the works of attaining if needed. It is the ONLY airline with investment credit ratings currently (yes now, even though we are the middle of a slowdown crisis) from all 3 agencies, no other airline has that and that is what will get SWA billions more if needed, but our CEO doesn't want to pull that trigger unless it's gets way worse. And, currently SWA has enough cash on hand to go 2 plus years now at current losses, current level of employees and will get better when 28% employees exit or take the leaves which will directly save 400 million plus in the 4th Q.
As far as our CEO out supporting the extension to go thru is mainly for him to be able to keep the best no layoffs or furloughs record of any airline out there for almost 50 years now. It's more of a pride thing. There is still more steps SWA can take prior to any layoffs or furloughs, and if it gets really, really ugly, I can assure you the employees will step up do what they have to do if needed. Don't forget back in the 90's when the employees stepped up and paid for fuel cost to help out.
Don't get all this wrong, SWA is also hurting badly. It's just that SWA has ALWAYS saved and stashed away in good times to better weather the bad times. AA did not do this after the merger and kept spending the cash freely on other items to help pad the pockets of their CEO and officers.
Final word is ALL the airlines are getting hit hard as hell. SWA is the best prepared, then prob. Delta, Alaska, and JB. AA and United are probably in the worse shape but still not totally sure which one is at the bottom. Some anylist say AA is, but United might be a close one as well. Hope this helps how I was thinking.

Understand, and why I was being a bit compassionate on my response. People are on edge right now everywhere, so trying to hold back a bit.

Dear Mr. Unionized Hypocrite,
Everyone coming here to this site wants to be you and exalt in your aviation Godliness. We all want to breath the southwest air and drink the southwest water.

But could you layoff on how great you have it for a while? People are scared and worried. Noone wants to hear your rhetoric. Brag to your friends and family.

Signed,
Soon to be on the outside looking in.

SWA is ready to for a very quick recovery if need be, and can very easily pick up any and all AA's passengers if need be.

right.

when there is a recovery, aa wouldn't need to file, would they?

if something unforseen happens in the southwest universe where there is a recovery for all airlines except aa - southwest would need nearly 70% more capacity than it had in 2019 - because in 2019, aa flew 215.18 million pax and southwest flew 134.10 million pax. if all your planes would be up and flying - while keeping the same very good load factors; you'd need 70% more planes. how would you fly to europe/asia/s.america? do you have the money/credit for increasing your fleet 70%? would lenders lend in these times? would your company take that risk, if it could?

so, no...you will not be able to very easily pick up aa's pax. as if aa is a candy-wrapper to be discarded in the garbage and aviation life wouldn't blink.

i'm glad your airline does well, but it is not the be all - end all. i work in an airport that had a few hundred thousand pax a day travel through it (in better times) and not 1 pax flew southwest.

i will also say that your airline was very, very vulnerable to an FAA grounding of 737s. in a prior america, dc-10s and md-80s spent time grounded, but in today's america, the faa and govt. wouldn't destroy southwest by grounding the 737s - despite a few issues with 737s through the years.

i do applaud southwest for keeping it's fleet stream-lined. that helps southwest save lots of $$ in many facets. it was risky at one time, but today, the corporation runs the govt., not the other way around.

Dear Mr. Unionized Hypocrite,
Everyone coming here to this site wants to be you and exalt in your aviation Godliness. We all want to breath the southwest air and drink the southwest water.

But could you layoff on how great you have it for a while? People are scared and worried. Noone wants to hear your rhetoric. Brag to your friends and family.

Signed,
Soon to be on the outside looking in.

what are you trying to say? your station will close down? you will get laid-off?

i was under the impression you had lots of time as a former lus AMT.

what are you trying to say? your station will close down? you will get laid-off?

i was under the impression you had lots of time as a former lus AMT.

Not a "former".......yet.

Read the contract. PIT has less than 5 years. PIT could go down to 49/50 people any day. AA Base Maintenance can go down to 2600 total in all base stations at any time. They can do want they want, brother.

People are worried.

I don't know the future, but I know the company isn't going to let people sit around with their feet up watching Naked and Afraid until their next flight comes in for too much longer.

Dire consequences for Boeing and Airbus should one of the big 4 liquidate.As far as debt its reworked all the time, if not file for 11 and have an advantage over all the other carriers
Can you explain to me your logic regarding the dire consequences for Boeing and Airbus?

Look, the fact is x amount of people are going to fly and airlines are going to meet that demand regardless of the actual number of airlines. Does not matter if there are 20 or 2. Literally the only difference is the remaining 3 will have a larger market share.

Boeing and Airbus's sales depend on market demand (the actual number of people flying) not the number of airlines.

Again, explain your logic because I don't see it.

Am I correct Kev3188 ?
We have recall rights, but the rest is pretty much dead-on.
I am sorry but I think you are both WAY off base here.

Delta is not going to do anything that would invite a UNION to their doorstep. That is a headache they don't want.