American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

Hey Kev.
You guys still hearing no layoffs for anyone at the big "D"?
They say were safe thru end of year and hopefully the extension will go thru for the PPP in congress to help even more thru March 21.

They are telling us that they’re “hopeful” they can avoid them. They also make sure to add in phrases like “shared sacrifice.”

With almost 20% of the company hitting the exits just now, I think there’s a good chance. Might mean having to move, or something like an F/A going to Res for a year or two, but we’ll see.

I am sorry but I think you are both WAY off base here.

Delta is not going to do anything that would invite a UNION to their doorstep. That is a headache they don't want.

+1

They’re definitely doing everything they can to sell our being non union as an advantage.

Not a "former".......yet.

Read the contract. PIT has less than 5 years. PIT could go down to 49/50 people any day. AA Base Maintenance can go down to 2600 total in all base stations at any time. They can do want they want, brother.

People are worried.

I don't know the future, but I know the company isn't going to let people sit around with their feet up watching Naked and Afraid until their next flight comes in for too much longer.
Tired I am sorry that you are facing the prospect of them closing your station. However you have been in the business a long time and you know how volatile working for an airline can be (that is partly why I got the hell out of the business).

That being said if you are so certain they are going to shut your station down why don't you transfer (after this COvID thing blows over)? Beat them to the punch. That way YOU have control and you can do it on YOUR terms.

Just something for your consideration.

The other option is just to wait for the axe to fall and play a round of "chase that job" with a limited time frame and limited options.

Reactions: swamt
+1

They’re definitely doing everything they can to sell our being non union as an advantage.
Well not being hamstrung by a UNION contract allows Delta to be a lot more agile.

They can also get rid of the dead weight (which AA is absolutely plagued with thanks to contract protections).

Looking back I wish I had worked for Delta instead of AA. I think culturally it would have been a lot better fit for me.

Can you explain to me your logic regarding the dire consequences for Boeing and Airbus?

Twofold.

Airplane orders have dried up. Nobody is ordering new when there are years of supply sitting in cold storage. That's going to impact cashflow for both Airbus and Boeing.

Second... both Airbus and Boeing were involved in the financing for a lot of the orders that were delivered during the past five years. When the airline goes under, some of that liability shifts back to Airbus and Boeing. That will bankrupt both of them.

Twofold.

Airplane orders have dried up. Nobody is ordering new when there are years of supply sitting in cold storage. That's going to impact cashflow for both Airbus and Boeing.
That has to do with overall current market demand and nothing to do with the possibility of any one airline liquidating.

Also Boeing has their hands in a lot more things than just commercial aircraft.

Second... both Airbus and Boeing were involved in the financing for a lot of the orders that were delivered during the past five years. When the airline goes under, some of that liability shifts back to Airbus and Boeing. That will bankrupt both of them.
I doubt it. As assets are gobbled up by other airlines so are debts. It made sense for American to buy new aircraft due to fuel savings and maintenance cost, you have to assume competitors would benefit from those same cost savings and most likely retire their older aircraft in favor of their newly acquired assets. There is also the fact the government simply would not allow Boeing to go bankrupt (or rather they would not allow them to liquidate). Not only do they supply aircraft to critical industries (airline and freight) but they are also involved in government and military ventures.

As far as Airbus... let the Europeans worry about that. Not our problem.

Can you explain to me your logic regarding the dire consequences for Boeing and Airbus?

Look, the fact is x amount of people are going to fly and airlines are going to meet that demand regardless of the actual number of airlines. Does not matter if there are 20 or 2. Literally the only difference is the remaining 3 will have a larger market share.

Boeing and Airbus's sales depend on market demand (the actual number of people flying) not the number of airlines.

Again, explain your logic because I don't see it.
Airplane glut.....you real simplify things okay 3 carriers instead of 4

They are telling us that they’re “hopeful” they can avoid them. They also make sure to add in phrases like “shared sacrifice.”

With almost 20% of the company hitting the exits just now, I think there’s a good chance. Might mean having to move, or something like an F/A going to Res for a year or two, but we’ll see.

+1

we had "share pain share gain" we shared the pain never saw the gain though.

right.

when there is a recovery, aa wouldn't need to file, would they?

if something unforseen happens in the southwest universe where there is a recovery for all airlines except aa - southwest would need nearly 70% more capacity than it had in 2019 - because in 2019, aa flew 215.18 million pax and southwest flew 134.10 million pax. if all your planes would be up and flying - while keeping the same very good load factors; you'd need 70% more planes. how would you fly to europe/asia/s.america? do you have the money/credit for increasing your fleet 70%? would lenders lend in these times? would your company take that risk, if it could?

so, no...you will not be able to very easily pick up aa's pax. as if aa is a candy-wrapper to be discarded in the garbage and aviation life wouldn't blink.

i'm glad your airline does well, but it is not the be all - end all. i work in an airport that had a few hundred thousand pax a day travel through it (in better times) and not 1 pax flew southwest.

i will also say that your airline was very, very vulnerable to an FAA grounding of 737s. in a prior america, dc-10s and md-80s spent time grounded, but in today's america, the faa and govt. wouldn't destroy southwest by grounding the 737s - despite a few issues with 737s through the years.

i do applaud southwest for keeping it's fleet stream-lined. that helps southwest save lots of $$ in many facets. it was risky at one time, but today, the corporation runs the govt., not the other way around.

Creme, Not saying SWA would easily pick up all the passengers from AA. I thought I made it clear in another post with LuLu that I think all the remaining airlines would help in sucking up some passengers. You right it would take an uptick in the range you said and I don't see that much happening. Was just saying that SWA is prepared to quickly expand in the need comes and would be willing to add planes and flights as needed if some new openings were to come available.

Yes, I believe AA won't have to file especially if there is a recovery (although it may be slow) but, as long as we see it coming slowly and say within the 2-3 years as they thought for domestic flights returning, I could see them not going into BK. I am also in agreement with others on here that DP does not want to visit the ole BK courts while he is at the helm, it would just hurt his ego way too much after claiming AA would never lose money again. Now he is just in disbelief that they are losing money and hopefully climb back up to positive revenue soon we all hope.

That single a/c ownership has opened the eyes of our CEO and he has stated several times that they need to entertain a different model just in case we would ever get the 737 grounded for a period like the Maxes are. That would just kill us if it were to come to exist.

Dear Mr. Unionized Hypocrite,
Everyone coming here to this site wants to be you and exalt in your aviation Godliness. We all want to breath the southwest air and drink the southwest water.

But could you layoff on how great you have it for a while? People are scared and worried. Noone wants to hear your rhetoric. Brag to your friends and family.

Signed,
Soon to be on the outside looking in.
Real,
Meant no disrespect or harm in any way. Sorry it came off to you as it did, but I was responding to a question and comments by another poster who brought up the topic.
And I am extremely proud how our company is ran and has ran.
Again, I apologize for the way sounded to you.

Real,
Meant no disrespect or harm in any way. Sorry it came off to you as it did, but I was responding to a question and comments by another poster who brought up the topic.
And I am extremely proud how our company is ran and has ran.
Again, I apologize for the way sounded to you.

No need to apologize. You work for a better company. Obviously one that values its employees.

And you have a better 'Association' representing you.

Reactions: swamt
No need to apologize. You work for a better company. Obviously one that values its employees.

And you have a better 'Association' representing you.
Better company?

Yes today.

All it takes to make a good company bad and vice versa is a change in leadership.

In this country CEO's and Board of Directors are all mixed up in one gigantic circle jerk, then they have the nerve to tell you that anyone can move up ranks with ambition and education.

Example.... when we all went to direct deposit and got those Dell computers Don Carty was on the Board of Directors for Dell computers and the CEO of American Airlines...... like I said, one giant circle jerk.