American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by jimntx, May 21, 2020.

1. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

They are telling us that they’re “hopeful” they can avoid them. They also make sure to add in phrases like “shared sacrifice.”

With almost 20% of the company hitting the exits just now, I think there’s a good chance. Might mean having to move, or something like an F/A going to Res for a year or two, but we’ll see.

+1

They’re definitely doing everything they can to sell our being non union as an advantage.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

Tired I am sorry that you are facing the prospect of them closing your station. However you have been in the business a long time and you know how volatile working for an airline can be (that is partly why I got the hell out of the business).

That being said if you are so certain they are going to shut your station down why don't you transfer (after this COvID thing blows over)? Beat them to the punch. That way YOU have control and you can do it on YOUR terms.

Just something for your consideration.

The other option is just to wait for the axe to fall and play a round of "chase that job" with a limited time frame and limited options.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Insp4

Insp4 Veteran

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

Well not being hamstrung by a UNION contract allows Delta to be a lot more agile.

They can also get rid of the dead weight (which AA is absolutely plagued with thanks to contract protections).

Looking back I wish I had worked for Delta instead of AA. I think culturally it would have been a lot better fit for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. eolesen

eolesen Veteran

Twofold.

Airplane orders have dried up. Nobody is ordering new when there are years of supply sitting in cold storage. That's going to impact cashflow for both Airbus and Boeing.

Second... both Airbus and Boeing were involved in the financing for a lot of the orders that were delivered during the past five years. When the airline goes under, some of that liability shifts back to Airbus and Boeing. That will bankrupt both of them.

6. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

That has to do with overall current market demand and nothing to do with the possibility of any one airline liquidating.

Also Boeing has their hands in a lot more things than just commercial aircraft.

I doubt it. As assets are gobbled up by other airlines so are debts. It made sense for American to buy new aircraft due to fuel savings and maintenance cost, you have to assume competitors would benefit from those same cost savings and most likely retire their older aircraft in favor of their newly acquired assets. There is also the fact the government simply would not allow Boeing to go bankrupt (or rather they would not allow them to liquidate). Not only do they supply aircraft to critical industries (airline and freight) but they are also involved in government and military ventures.

As far as Airbus... let the Europeans worry about that. Not our problem.

7. ALUS78

ALUS78 Veteran

Airplane glut.....you real simplify things okay 3 carriers instead of 4

8. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

I am just not sure I agree with your analysis.

9. dfw gen

dfw gen Veteran

we had "share pain share gain" we shared the pain never saw the gain though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. swamt

swamt Veteran

Creme, Not saying SWA would easily pick up all the passengers from AA. I thought I made it clear in another post with LuLu that I think all the remaining airlines would help in sucking up some passengers. You right it would take an uptick in the range you said and I don't see that much happening. Was just saying that SWA is prepared to quickly expand in the need comes and would be willing to add planes and flights as needed if some new openings were to come available.

Yes, I believe AA won't have to file especially if there is a recovery (although it may be slow) but, as long as we see it coming slowly and say within the 2-3 years as they thought for domestic flights returning, I could see them not going into BK. I am also in agreement with others on here that DP does not want to visit the ole BK courts while he is at the helm, it would just hurt his ego way too much after claiming AA would never lose money again. Now he is just in disbelief that they are losing money and hopefully climb back up to positive revenue soon we all hope.

That single a/c ownership has opened the eyes of our CEO and he has stated several times that they need to entertain a different model just in case we would ever get the 737 grounded for a period like the Maxes are. That would just kill us if it were to come to exist.

11. swamt

swamt Veteran

Real,
    Meant no disrespect or harm in any way. Sorry it came off to you as it did, but I was responding to a question and comments by another poster who brought up the topic.
    And I am extremely proud how our company is ran and has ran.
    Again, I apologize for the way sounded to you.

12. Rogallo

Rogallo Veteran

No need to apologize. You work for a better company. Obviously one that values its employees.

And you have a better 'Association' representing you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

Better company?

Yes today.

All it takes to make a good company bad and vice versa is a change in leadership.

In this country CEO's and Board of Directors are all mixed up in one gigantic circle jerk, then they have the nerve to tell you that anyone can move up ranks with ambition and education.

Example.... when we all went to direct deposit and got those Dell computers Don Carty was on the Board of Directors for Dell computers and the CEO of American Airlines...... like I said, one giant circle jerk.

14. Rogallo

Rogallo Veteran

The "Good Ole Boys Club"

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. La Li Lu Le Lo

La Li Lu Le Lo Veteran

Yup.......