American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

No need to apologize. You work for a better company. Obviously one that values its employees.

And you have a better 'Association' representing you.
Thx Rogallo.
You guys could very easily have the same. Replace Parker with an employee compassionate leader and vote AMFA in as the representational organization for the mechanics. There. See. Easy peasy. :) Hope you guys are voting soon...

Reactions: Rogallo
Thx Rogallo.
You guys could very easily have the same. Replace Parker with an employee compassionate leader and vote AMFA in as the representational organization for the mechanics. There. See. Easy peasy. :) Hope you guys are voting soon...
How would you go about replacing Parker?

Thx Rogallo.
You're right about replacing Parker and team. Would have to go outside the company to replace him and maybe outside the airline industry. Kelleher set your company up so well and then the model has just moved right along. AA needs an entirely different mindset from where it is now. I hope the AMTs can get their own thing going. Thought they would by now seeing how awful the Association is.

You're right about replacing Parker and team. Would have to go outside the company to replace him and maybe outside the airline industry. Kelleher set your company up so well and then the model has just moved right along. AA needs an entirely different mindset from where it is now. I hope the AMTs can get their own thing going. Thought they would by now seeing how awful the Association is.
Yes but..... how would you, as workers, replace Parker?

How would you go about replacing Parker?

Just as in their representation for the mechanics, the employees are NOT able to replace Parker. However, the BOD should have already enacted some pressure upon Parker for NOT doing the right things in the past and why AA is in such bad position now. The BOD should asked for his resignation and failed when the timing was right in the past, now, it's a bit too late (maybe).
The bottom line is Parker and Isom need to go.
As does this asso. representing the mechanics.

8-9 weeks out, getting some movement and more attention.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A group of 16 Senate Republicans on Wednesday backed extending a $25 billion payroll assistance program for U.S. airlines who have warned they may be forced to cut tens of thousands of jobs after Sept. 30 without government action, according to a letter seen by Reuters.

The letter, which was led by Senator Cory Gardner, was signed by Senators Marco Rubio, Roger Wicker, James Inhofe, James Risch, John Cornyn, Todd Young, Susan Collins, Martha McSally and others. It's the first public disclosure of significant support in the Senate for additional emergency funding for U.S. airlines. The senators said they backed a new six-month extension of the $25 billion payroll support program "to avoid furloughs and further support those workers."

Sweet! It needs to happen, otherwise we will see hundreds of thousands aviation jobs lost and on the streets. And that would not be good for an efficient and quick recovery when the time comes. Below are some numbers from each of the airlines looking at layoffs or furloughs come Oct 1st.
Just read a long memo from our director of labor (Kurt Kinder) and he says they do not expect any kind of uptick in passenger levels until mid 2021 after speaking with anylist and medical professionals. This would be key to an extension by congress to pass, as it would help with the timing of an uptick hopefully coming mid next year. As long as the airlines can keep people employed thru March, I think it will be easier for the airlines to recover quickly as opposed to having to submitting and going thru resumes and applications, interviewing, 2nd/3rd interviews, background checks, and training after rehired. Costly and time consuming big time.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bc21757...-to-cut-a-tenth.html?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

"Becker estimates that airlines have issued WARN notices to more than 76,000 employees, including 7,000 pilots. American Airlines Group (ticker: AAL) and United Airlines (UAL) have issued the bulk of the notices, totaling 36,072 and 24,285, respectively. Alaska Air Group (ALK) has issued 4,200 notices. Delta Air Lines (DAL) and Spirit Airlines (SAVE) have each issued around 2,500, and Allegiant Travel (ALGT) has issued 495."

I need correct one of my past statements about ALK. I thought they were one of the airlines that said no layoffs or furloughs. I was mistaken as I read this article, they too have sent out WARN letters and are preparing to do some involuntary leaves if no extension is passed in congress...

Sweet! It needs to happen

yup, i agree.

i was on the fence, but as the weeks and months go by, it's clear that multiple airlines are at risk of BK.

in the early spring, this was a no-brainer. i made the assumption in march that 6 months would be enough, there would be a therapeutic drug and the airlines would tread water profit-wise by the 4th quarter - with layoffs and buy-outs.

definitely not happening.

I'm not one to say "I told you so." However; "I told you so". Some airlines, AA especially, took the "We are too big to fail" (or allowed to fail) financial position. I thought everyone had gotten over that mis- conception back in 2008 given the multiple examples of the error of that thinking then. I didn't think that to be true of any of the Big 4 airlines then, but now I'm not so sure.

"We are too big to fail" as a financial strategy makes about as much sense as a plan for the future that begins with "I hope."

Last edited:
Management and a lot of staff support people were let go. I don't know how unionized employees escape lay-off's.....Even with a rescue package!
If my experience at AA is worth anything,,,they don't. I was a flight attendant (unionized), and I was laid off for about a year and a half from 7/3/2003 to 11/17/2004.

Sweet! It needs to happen, otherwise we will see hundreds of thousands aviation jobs lost and on the streets. And that would not be good for an efficient and quick recovery when the time comes. Below are some numbers from each of the airlines looking at layoffs or furloughs come Oct 1st.
Just read a long memo from our director of labor (Kurt Kinder) and he says they do not expect any kind of uptick in passenger levels until mid 2021 after speaking with anylist and medical professionals. This would be key to an extension by congress to pass, as it would help with the timing of an uptick hopefully coming mid next year. As long as the airlines can keep people employed thru March, I think it will be easier for the airlines to recover quickly as opposed to having to submitting and going thru resumes and applications, interviewing, 2nd/3rd interviews, background checks, and training after rehired. Costly and time consuming big time.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/bc21757...-to-cut-a-tenth.html?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

"Becker estimates that airlines have issued WARN notices to more than 76,000 employees, including 7,000 pilots. American Airlines Group (ticker: AAL) and United Airlines (UAL) have issued the bulk of the notices, totaling 36,072 and 24,285, respectively. Alaska Air Group (ALK) has issued 4,200 notices. Delta Air Lines (DAL) and Spirit Airlines (SAVE) have each issued around 2,500, and Allegiant Travel (ALGT) has issued 495."

I need correct one of my past statements about ALK. I thought they were one of the airlines that said no layoffs or furloughs. I was mistaken as I read this article, they too have sent out WARN letters and are preparing to do some involuntary leaves if no extension is passed in congress...
This is looking more and more likely it’s going to be extended
yup, i agree.

i was on the fence, but as the weeks and months go by, it's clear that multiple airlines are at risk of BK.

in the early spring, this was a no-brainer. i made the assumption in march that 6 months would be enough, there would be a therapeutic drug and the airlines would tread water profit-wise by the 4th quarter - with layoffs and buy-outs.

definitely not happening.
Are you people nuts?

Seriously?

Why should the government fund payroll for a bunch of employees the airlines have said they don't need? What your really asking is your fellow taxpayers to fund your paycheck while you sit around with nothing to do, most of who make FAR LESS than you do. Talk about UNION entitlement gone awry.

What makes the airlines so special that you feel the taxpayers should fund your paychecks? No other industry is enjoying that sort of protection.

The whole damn country has lost their minds. Extending payroll protections is only slightly less stupid than the federal government paying out $600 a week to laid off minimum wage workers.

Insanity.

As long as the airlines can keep people employed thru March, I think it will be easier for the airlines to recover quickly as opposed to having to submitting and going thru resumes and applications, interviewing, 2nd/3rd interviews, background checks, and training after rehired. Costly and time consuming big time.
I don't think that is more costly than keeping a ton of employees the airlines have stated they don't need.

"Becker estimates that airlines have issued WARN notices to more than 76,000 employees, including 7,000 pilots.
Yes, but the public needs to understand that a WARN letter does not necessarily mean those employees will be laid off.

Are you people nuts?

Seriously?

Why should the government fund payroll for a bunch of employees the airlines have said they don't need? What your really asking is your fellow taxpayers to fund your paycheck while you sit around with nothing to do, most of who make FAR LESS than you do. Talk about UNION entitlement gone awry.

What makes the airlines so special that you feel the taxpayers should fund your paychecks? No other industry is enjoying that sort of protection.

The whole damn country has lost their minds. Extending payroll protections is only slightly less stupid than the federal government paying out $600 a week to laid off minimum wage workers.

Insanity.

I think if the extension happens the airlines need to continue down the road of early out programs and other such separation programs.
By giving the carriers more time into next year this could help the airlines come out of this in better shape
I suspect this is a good way to look at this if they extend.
I don’t think just because the payroll protection continues means the airlines won’t continue to downsize it just gives them more time to restructure without bankruptcy