American looking to "right-size" the company and staffing levels for the Fall and 2021

I never could understand that mentality myself. These fools act like the other work groups are plotting and scheming behind their backs to steal what is theirs. If they want a UNION more representative of their needs and more focused on their work group fine but, they need to stop accusing other work groups, who have no more control of the contract than they do, of riding their coattails. It is not productive. It only pisses people off.

If these dumbass mechanics think Fleet is getting a free ride then they need to go smash bags for a couple of months in the dead of winter and see if that tunes up their attitude a bit.

I'll be damned if I would tolerate baseless accusations due to someone else's greed and self importance.
We work outdoors in the dead of winter as well. Just saying.

We work outdoors in the dead of winter as well. Just saying.
I know you do. You go out from time to time to do checks, make repairs, or change oil. Many times the work you do is in the cabin not outside in the elements. From my perspective that is not the same as being outside all day long moving literally TONS of bags and freight. As a whole you don't have near the workload as Fleet. It certainly is not nearly as physical. That is why you see so few career clerks without knee, hip, back, and shoulder operations. That's OK you are paid for your expertise and license not for your back, but to compare the time a mechanic spends out in the elements vs a clerk is laughable. It's not even close.

I know you do. You go out from time to time to do checks, make repairs, or change oil. Many times the work you do is in the cabin not outside in the elements. From my perspective that is not the same as being outside all day long moving literally TONS of bags and freight. As a whole you don't have near the workload as Fleet. It certainly is not nearly as physical. That is why you see so few career clerks without knee, hip, back, and shoulder operations. That's OK you are paid for your expertise and license not for your back, but to compare the time a mechanic spends out in the elements vs a clerk is laughable. It's not even close.
Hate to bust your bubble but we work outdoors in the middle of the winter at 2am and through the night. Overnight workloads are the heaviest. I've never seen anyone loading bags at 2am in the dead of winter. Before cabin service was farmed out they would be inside the cabins and we are outside. Yes we do get inside cabin writeups but we have our fair share of being outside working. I'd rather be outside in dead winter at 12 noon along side you loading bags than at 2 am and you guys home sleeping in a warm bed.
FYI: We don't do oil changes on gas turbine engines. We add oil. Maybe you mistaken us for the autostop guys.

Last edited:
Hate to bust your bubble but we work outdoors in the middle of the winter at 2am and through the night. Overnight workloads are the heaviest. I've never seen anyone loading bags at 2am in the dead of winter. Before cabin service was farmed out they would be inside the cabins and we are outside. Yes we do get inside cabin writeups but we have our fair share of being outside working. I'd rather be outside in dead winter at 12 noon alone side you loading bags than at 2 am and you guys home sleeping in a warm bed.
I used to work nights all the time at TULE. Overnight cleaning. I did not see the mechanics do much at the line besides write ups and adding oil.

Remember that video a few years back when a news crew caught a whole aircraft of airline mechanics asleep on one of the jets. Classic.

FYI: We don't do oil changes on gas turbine engines. We add oil. Maybe you mistaken us for the autostop guys.
OK. I am not a mechanic. I knew they did something nightly with the oil. Thanks for the clarification.

I used to work nights all the time at TULE. Overnight cleaning. I did not see the mechanics do much at the line besides write ups and adding oil.

Remember that video a few years back when a news crew caught a whole aircraft of airline mechanics asleep on one of the jets. Classic.

OK. I am not a mechanic. I knew they did something nightly with the oil. Thanks for the clarification.
Bottom line here is we have different job descriptions and different responsibilities. We need our own specific occupational union to focus on us. That's not a new concept or impossible.

I never could understand that mentality myself. These fools act like the other work groups are plotting and scheming behind their backs to steal what is theirs. If they want a UNION more representative of their needs and more focused on their work group fine but, they need to stop accusing other work groups, who have no more control of the contract than they do, of riding their coattails. It is not productive. It only pisses people off.

If these dumbass mechanics think Fleet is getting a free ride then they need to go smash bags for a couple of months in the dead of winter and see if that tunes up their attitude a bit.

I'll be damned if I would tolerate baseless accusations due to someone else's greed and self importance.

The Mechanic and Related are doing something about it. They have just successfully delivered signed cards to the NMB and await their investigation to call for an election for Class & Craft union representation without all the extra and added groups within them.

I have a question for you mechanics. I remember back in the days you folks used to do push backs n marshalling in aircraft. I've only heard you folks gave M it up (03 04?)? TO PRESERVE jobs. Is that true? Also if u do go AMFA are you going to try get those job functions back? I'm just curious bec as I'm in mandatory quarantine for possible exposure I was remembering how you did those functions n while I do not remember when we took over it.

I have a question for you mechanics. I remember back in the days you folks used to do push backs n marshalling in aircraft. I've only heard you folks gave M it up (03 04?)? TO PRESERVE jobs. Is that true? Also if u do go AMFA are you going to try get those job functions back? I'm just curious bec as I'm in mandatory quarantine for possible exposure I was remembering how you did those functions n while I do not remember when we took over it.
Change of union representation does not in anyway change or modify our current JCBA. What we have now will remain in force.

Last edited:

LAA side gave it up at least 20 years ago... along with deicing if I recall. 1989 maybe?

Reactions: robbedagain
Bottom line here is we have different job descriptions and different responsibilities. We need our own specific occupational union to focus on us. That's not a new concept or impossible.
The Mechanic and Related are doing something about it. They have just successfully delivered signed cards to the NMB and await their investigation to call for an election for Class & Craft union representation without all the extra and added groups within them.
Great. I wish you success but, if you are unhappy with your representation blame your representative, not your coworkers. That just causes undue friction.

As a former Fleet Service Clerk I will be damned if I am going to put up with some foolish mechanic slagging me off (and my peers) and making unsubstantiated accusations without saying something.

Great. I wish you success but, if you are unhappy with your representation blame your representative, not your coworkers. That just causes undue friction.
Thx. They do blame the current asso. and I wasn't blaming coworkers. Was just pointing out that the mechanic and related signed enough cards for a vote for AMFA to file with the NMB. At least there are enough that really do want a change in representation as they are blaming their current representation for their failures in the past.

As a former Fleet Service Clerk I will be damned if I am going to put up with some foolish mechanic slagging me off (and my peers) and making unsubstantiated accusations without saying something.
My representatives are my co workers. That's the problem. They forgot where they started from day of hire.

Reactions: swamt