American to take over USAirways Int'l flying

Date: February 15, 2013 9:07:10 PM EST
Subject: FLEET etc

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Fri, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

FLEET:

777: AA 772s reconfigured in previously-announced higher-density J/MCE/Y layout and find their way onto

legacy-US routes such as PHL/CLT-LHR and legacy-AA routes like JFK/DFW-CDG, DFW/MIA-MAD,
MIA-GIG/SCL, etc.

A330: US A330s reconfigured with MCE and deployed on legacy-AA routes such
as JFK-FCO, JFK-BCN, MIA-BCN, MIA-CNF, etc.

787/A350: 787s introduced per recent AA-Boeing agreement, A350 order possibly cancelled in favor of
additional A320 family jets to rapidly replace US 737s and 757s, and AA MD80s.

767: US 762 fleet parked near-immediately, and replaced with AA 763s or 757s; AA 763 retirement timeline
accelerates.

757: US 757 fleet parked near-immediately, and replaced byAA 757s (either domestic or international
configuration, as applicable) or new narrowbody jets being delivered.

A321: AA/US comingled fleets used throughout network, including increasingly to replace 757s in Hawaii and
Latin America markets, and on transcons; separate AA premium JFK-LAX/SFO A321 plans continue.

737/A320: US 737s parked near-immediately; AA handles 737/A320 mix much like Delta, with 737 being
configured with a larger premium cabin for use in premium domestic markets and transcons, while A320
configured with a smaller premium cabin and used for lower-yielding markets (e.g., non-MIA Florida, leisure
Caribbean and Mexico, PHX/LAS/RNO, etc.)

A319: AA/US co-mingled fleets used throughout domestic/North America network.

MD80: fleet retirement continues and accelerates.

EJet/CR7: EJets will be prioritized first and foremost to more competitive markets where a better product is
required (e.g., ORD and NYC, then WAS and PHL) while CR7s will be flowed into other hubs where AA is more dominant (DFW, MIA, CLT, LAX)

Dash 8: The USExpress fleet of Dash 8s are quite old, and will need replacement at some point, and many of Eagle’s shorter routes out of multiple hubs (including DFW, ORD and MIA) would also be a good fit for a prop; I could see AMR/regionals placing a substantial order for Q400s or ATR72s to fill this role.

INTERNATIONAL NETWORK:

Atlantic: Some shifting and optimization among hubs/gateways; 1 daily FRA and seasonal GLA flights shifted from PHL to JFK (as 757s), and JFK also picks up 1 daily flight to TLV; CLT-FCO shifted to MIA-MXP and seasonal CLT-DUB ended entirely; PHL/CLT-FRA each lose 1 daily and PHL-MUC/ZRH exited entirely (due to dependence on Star connections); seasonal PHL-ATH market exited entirely (due to poor economy) while PHL-BCN and CLT-MAD upgraded from seasonal to year round.

Pacific: Little direct impact from merger, beyond US bringing feed and connectivity from US hubs and strength markets to AA Asia-bound flights instead of onto United codeshare flights; may provide marginal boost to NRT/China flying; longer-term, AA/JL JV adds daily JL 787 on PHL-NRT.

Latin America: Little change beyond CLT losing GIG and likely GRU flying and some Caribbean
weekend flying with that capacity shifted to MIA, although CLT retains substantial capacity to major
markets (e.g., CUN, AUA, PUJ, SJU, STT, MBJ, etc.)

image.jpeg

INTERNATIONAL NETWORK:

Atlantic: Some shifting and optimization among hubs/gateways; 1 daily FRA and seasonal GLA flights shifted from PHL to JFK (as 757s), and JFK also picks up 1 daily flight to TLV; CLT-FCO shifted to MIA-MXP and seasonal CLT-DUB ended entirely; PHL/CLT-FRA each lose 1 daily and PHL-MUC/ZRH exited entirely (due to dependence on Star connections); seasonal PHL-ATH market exited entirely (due to poor economy) while PHL-BCN and CLT-MAD upgraded from seasonal to year round.

While the seasonal flying to Spain going year round is good news, the rest is not that great. FRA going to a 757. Seriously? Bad news on MUC, ZRH, perhaps understandable with lost *A traffic. Still sucks. But ATH must be making a least some money currently. But it's good that TLV is expected to continue. So there is s solution the issue of the unpaid obligations to the former TWA folks? Odd that this makes it look like TLV flight will be moved to JFK, a lot of rival traffic in the NYC market.

I am sorry if this has been answered already and I missed it. How many connecting markets are served out PHL that are not flown from JFK? I would think there are quite a few.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Fri, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

FLEET:

INTERNATIONAL NETWORK:

What is the source of this nearly 3 month old whatever it is?
Is this just someone's guess of what will occur?
Many of the purported changes - e.g., cancelling the entire A350 order in favor of 777s is a bit
difficult to swallow. Even if the order is replaced with additional A321s, it would be a major hit to Airbus's A350 program to loose that many already ordered frames. Some of the route changes seem even more unrealistic.

Reactions: 1 person
What is the source of this nearly 3 month old whatever it is?
Is this just someone's guess of what will occur?
Many of the purported changes - e.g., cancelling the entire A350 order in favor of 777s is a bit
difficult to swallow. Even if the order is replaced with additional A321s, it would be a major hit to Airbus's A350 program to loose that many already ordered frames. Some of the route changes seem even more unrealistic.

I missed the date header (from the day after the merger was announced). Ooopsie! Thanks!

The title of the thread is misleading. The flying is not being transferred to American. The route authorities are being transferred to the "new" American. Just to make sure that the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. Though I have to admit when I first read the blog I read it as the flying being transferred to the American side of the aisle. That's why I started the thread in the AA forum...to get clarification on what was/was not said.

They have to be transferred because soon there will be no such thing as US Airways. Do you hear that PBGC? .... No more US Airways!

Luv,

This was some guys guess from Airliners.net. Is that what you take for fact?
All I know now that 4 76's are being parked 3 by the end of this year and 1 early next year is what we were told, fleet plan came from an AA check airmen we had on the jumpseat. I know that means squat so we will have to see.

All I know now that 4 76's are being parked 3 by the end of this year and 1 early next year is what we were told, fleet plan came from an AA check airmen we had on the jumpseat. I know that means squat so we will have to see.

was not some 76's scheduled to be parked due to the arrival of 5 A330-200's?

That's fine. I know we are going to see big changes and many we don't like. But, did you know where this "fleet list" came from when you posted it? It had the appearance of being a memo when it was actually some guys guess.,

If it came from an AA check airman, would it not mean that AA is scheduled to retire THEIR OWN 767s....probably based on the lift coming from new 777s?

I don't know much about AA's training department, but if their check airman utterances are even 10x more reliable than those of ours regarding fleet plans, then he/she was likely wrong anyway.

If you hear it from the training department, expect nothing to change, or the opposite result. They're are even less reliable as a source of "inside" information than the maintenance department.