AMFA Mechanics contract.08/ 2012

S

Swadl

I figured I'd start a new thread about our contract ratification for 2012. let's keep this thread about contract info, negotiations, ideas. Let's not get the seniority intergration crap bashing, complaining ect..ect... Involved in this. Let's stick to the topic at hand. AirTran mechanics please add your input and stuff you would like to see added as at some point you will be working under this new contract! Also AirTran and SWA mechanics please familiarize your self with our current contract.

On the contract perposals item #142 is incomplete!! If who ever wrote it please let us know what you wanted to say!!

We need to change sick time hours to personal hours to use whenever and however we wish.

I really like the idea on the proposals about converting OT pay to vacation time if we want.

We need to change sick time hours to personal hours to use whenever and however we wish.

Trust me, you don't want a PTO plan. PTO plan include an ELB, extended leave bank. It's an amount if time that you accrue that can't be used unless you use a specific amout of continuous PTO time... For example, you could have 500 hrs of ELB time but you have to take 80 hours of continuous PTO time then you can tap into the ELB time. It's crap, trust me.

What you'd want is the ability to convert sick time to sick days an then be able to convert sick days to PTO days as needed. For example, you'd accrue 1 sick day every month until you reach, I don't know 50 days then your accrue 1.5 sick days every month... Then have a clause that allows you to convert 4 or 5 sick days to PTO days a year. I hope I made that clear. But you definitely don't want a PTO plan, and I know the company would love for you to convert to the pto plan, because then they don't have to have the cash on hand and available to cover your ELB, like that have to have available for sick time, and that would free up a lot of cash for bounus and spending.

Reactions: 2 people
I really like the idea on the proposals about converting OT pay to vacation time if we want.

I'm not sure if it's in our contract but AirTran is doing comp time. Work 4 hrs OT and equvilant to 6 hrs off later, but has to be within the same pay period. That might be a station thing that we do.

Reactions: 3 people
How about adding a me to clause in the contract like in Airtran's TRAX LOA. States that if any other ground ops group receives any other holiday outside of what's covered under this agreement, we to shall receive those days.

How about adding a me to clause in the contract like in Airtran's TRAX LOA. States that if any other ground ops group receives any other holiday outside of what's covered under this agreement, we to shall receive those days.

How about you don't worry about it since it's not YOUR contract yet! You want to have a say then push for a 40% reduction in your seniority immediately then you can have a say.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok let's keep this thread clear of bashing and stick to the topic at hand. I specifically included the AT mechanics as they will be in on our next ratified contract!! They too also have input a good ideas. Let's keep the seniority talk to the other thread.

Reactions: 1 person
That's a good idea and there were a couple of items with me too clauses in them!

How about you don't worry about it since it's not YOUR contract yet! You want to have a say then push for a 40% reduction in your seniority immediately then you can have a say.

Swadl is correct. Please keep the senority issues in the other threads. AvTech04 actually has some very good points and issues we need to look at to bring into the combined contract. I have briefly read some of their contract and they do have something about accruing sick days increase do to your longevity increasing. I too also like the idea of "banking" vac time for working O/T. This is a great time to explore ideas from both AT and SWA to include into "OUR" next contract, which is in fact what we will be working on directly after this integration stuff is done. Matter fact I would insist to employ the AT guys that were envolved in the AT mechanics contract nego to get on board with the SWA nego cmte to explore all ideas. Excellent thread Swadl. Keep it up guys...

Swadl is correct. Please keep the senority issues in the other threads. AvTech04 actually has some very good points and issues we need to look at to bring into the combined contract. I have briefly read some of their contract and they do have something about accruing sick days increase do to your longevity increasing. I too also like the idea of "banking" vac time for working O/T. This is a great time to explore ideas from both AT and SWA to include into "OUR" next contract, which is in fact what we will be working on directly after this integration stuff is done. Matter fact I would insist to employ the AT guys that were envolved in the AT mechanics contract nego to get on board with the SWA nego cmte to explore all ideas. Excellent thread Swadl. Keep it up guys...
Banking hours instead of ot is a dangerous thing. If we maintain the control of it and we make the decision on how to use it fine. I have seen it used in lieu of ot pay because it was the company's decision. Not a good thing.

Reactions: 4 people

There's no ratification without the Airtran mechanics. So, this involves me as much as any SWA mechanic and I want what's best for all of us. This effects my future as well as yours so I'm going to input as much useful information on this thread as I can, and come the time when I can put the ideas up my self, I will!! So instead of dragging your feet with the unknowns and negativity, try instead coming up with relevant and useful information for OUR new contract. And I'm done discussing the integration, back to the topic at hand...

Banking hours instead of ot is a dangerous thing. If we maintain the control of it and we make the decision on how to use it fine. I have seen it used in lieu of ot pay because it was the company's decision. Not a good thing.

The way AirTran does banked holidays is by taking, for example, 10 hrs out of your double time and 1/2. So you'll get paid like you're working OT for the holiday and bank the other 10 hours for a day off. Yes, management maintains that for us right now, and they've done an okay job, but I'd prefer the union to at least track and verify my days and times. And. I'm not sure how your current contact reads but do you guys have to actually work on the holiday to get the pay?? The AirTran contact allows for it to count on your next working day if not working the actual holiday, for example, if July 4th falls on my regular day off, then the next day I work would count the same as if I worked on July 4th, but if I took vacation for that day or opted the holiday off then this wouldn't apply and I would never get the holiday pay nor could I bank it.