AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Industrial Union vs Craft Union

(This is not about the past, it is about the future)

I often read the Internet Social Media (Facebook and Airline Forum), pages and watch the discussions and often emotional arguments that take place between those that support AMFA and those that support the TWU and IAM. These discussions always focus on the past. “Remember what happened at Northwest with AMFA” the Industrial Union supporter says. “What about TWU and IAM at Eastern and Pan American?” the AMFA supporter says. Then they start arguing about the pay, work rules, scope, and benefits of the past contracts, each trying to claim that the Union they support is the best. The emotions begin to run high, and then the name calling and insults start. I am convinced that in most cases, each person is extremely dogmatic regarding their beliefs and have no intention of being open minded and listening to opposing views, or changing their minds.

The truth is that since the Airline Deregulation Act became federal law in 1978, there is no Union or Work Group that succeeded in preventing the Concessions, Bankruptcies, and Consolidation. So the arguments trying to claim one Union fared better than another is meaningless. The various Unions and work groups in the Airline Industry, only took different paths to failure. Some took concessions for jobs, some took headcount loss to keep pay and benefits, and some went to labor strikes. If you look honestly at the history, there wasn’t a winning philosophy, not with Pilots, Flight Attendants, or various Mechanic and Related Unions. Not one Union or workgroup prevented going backwards. All Airline employees suffered one way or the other.

The most interesting aspect of the internet discussions is that nobody is defending the Association, which is the current Certified Representation for the AA Mechanic and Related. The TWU and IAM’s NMB Certifications were both extinguished the Association was certified. The current AMFA card drive is to challenge and unseat the Association as the Certified Representative. The Mechanics that are defending the IAM and the TWU seem to not realize that the NMB ruled that “Each of the Association agreements indicates that both the TWU and the IAM had the authority under their applicable governing documents to enter into the joint labor organization agreement.” (42 NMB No. 20 Determination of Certification – May 19th. 2015) The referenced applicable governing documents are the TWU and IAM Constitutions. In other words both Constitutions gave the Leaders of the two Unions the power and authority to enter into the Association agreement without membership consent. And while the two Unions promised the members we would get to vote, behind closed doors they argued against the vote, and American Airlines did not object to the certification, so you were denied that vote.

The TWU and the IAM are now rumored to be planning to decertify the Association, recertify the TWU and the IAM, with Mechanic and Related going to the TWU and Fleet Service going to the IAM and then placing a bar on representation elections. Once again without the vote of the membership, and with approval of American Airlines. The only way the NMB will approve this latest TWU-IAM scam to avoid membership voting and replacement is if American Airlines management does not object. If this happens we plan to initiate a letter writing, phone calling, and petition signing campaign directed at American Airlines Executives, the Board Members of the NMB, and our Federal Senate and House of Representatives.

WE MUST BE PREPARED AND ACT IF THIS SCAM SURFACES!

In negotiations American Airlines management has been demanding the Association let the membership vote on their Final Offer Proposal of October 31st, 2019. The Association refuses. A clear pattern of denying the membership any authority or influence in our careers.

It is hypocritical and unconscionable that American Airlines would demand of vote on their contract proposal but yet not object to the Association getting away with another change in our representation without membership balloting.

WE MUST DEMAND A VOTE!
WE MUST DEMAND AA MANAGEMENT OBJECT!

Since the facts are clear that no Union succeeded in stopping the difficulties of the past in the Airline Industry, the argument is not about comparing the past, the argument is about our future. And since both Federal Courts and the NMB have ruled the both the TWU and the IAM Constitutions give all power and authority to allow two men to harm the membership without a vote, while enriching the organization and leaders we must seek change. The Union Constitution is a binding legal Document that is enforceable in Federal Court regarding the governance of the Union and the membership rights within the Union. Allowing the TWU or the IAM to now force us into another scam is not going to change the membership’s lack of authority in the decision making of the Union. Why go back to the same Constitutions that gave two men the authority to create this Failed Association to begin with? The AMFA Constitution gives that authority back to the Mechanic and Related Union Membership where it belongs.

Please Sign a Card Calling for a VOTE to stop the TWU-IAM Scams

The overwhelming support that this card drive has received is much appreciated

Dave Stewart – AMFA Organizer

American Airlines Tulsa Base

WOW! They will do anything to try and stop AMFA, even the company. That should speak volumes to the membership.
Fantastic post Informer! Let's get this done. Keep the drive alive!!!

Reactions: 787nightmare
This is for the loyalists that cannot understand why the twu line mechanics want to leave this association.
1. Did not get to vote on forming association as promised.
2. Do not get to vote for twu president or upper leadership
3. Did not get to vote for Peterson to get his twu scam who was a AMFA supporter until he got his scam
4. Did not get to vote for 591 president appointment scam who was a AMFA supporter until he got his scam
5. Wages and life benefits are below iam mechanic working for same company doing same job approx 20 k less a year.
6. Twu was conducting kangaroo court for dual unionism in the 2000s.
7. Twu allowed scab company for Northwest to hold job fare in Kansas City during layoff.
8. Ramper is in charge of contract negotiations for mechanics
9.Twu does not care about the mechanics.

Sorry guys I guess I killed the thread ? Although I Do not believe it is that easy.

Any body from ORD? Who is running the drive up there! I talked to a couple of guys up there they did not seem to know much! Russ was a big Organizer back in the day!

Any body from ORD? Who is running the drive up there! I talked to a couple of guys up there they did not seem to know much! Russ was a big Organizer back in the day!
So was peterson and schiable. Kind of ironic isn't it?

We can use a few volunteers up there. Feel free to message me if you or if you know anyone up there willing to step up for change

Reactions: swamt
Bring a little logic to the facts

Peterson
Schaible
Dittmer

All previous organizers to replace the TWU
And now this Association is worse than the TWU ever was and the TWU Constitution gave Jim Little the authority to sign the Association agreements.

So we are worse off now
And these men are now opposed to changing unions.

So what changed their opinions and motivation for change?

They are all now on TWU payroll, that’s what changed. Pathetic Narcissist!

Where is the credibility in that?

Dittmer even made the motion to create his payroll position.

They’ve got theirs Brother!

Symptoms
Signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:

• Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
  • Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerate achievements and talents
  • Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
  • Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
  • Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
  • Take advantage of others to get what they want
  • Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Be envious of others and believe others envy them
  • Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
  • Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office

Last edited:
Reactions: swamt

Seham is correct. The membership controls what issues are nego at the table. Not like the TWU/IAM/Asso. where the non voted leaders decide, and now currently the executive cmte decides what is nego at the table. And with no info being put out, the membership has no clue what has been decided or changes made. To this day no one knows the results of the seniority ruling that was decided by third party and final.
Below is an example of how AMFA always surveys the membership for all issues nego at the table. By taking the contract proposal survey, the membership maintains all control of nego's. I know the group I am showing is not mechs, but they are our Appearance Technicians, they are part of the "And Related" groups, still represented by AMFA but on their very own contract so they can control their issues that concern them and no mechs can vote on their issues. This is what I have been saying about it's a win-win for all groups within AMFA to be in the own contracts. Every contract AMFA sends out these surveys, collects data, and then the membership will vote on all the issues collected and in the order of preference determined by the membership not your nego cmte, although they too are allowed to participate in the surveys. Click the blue link for more details...

AMFA–SWA Appearance Technician Survey Notice
October 21, 2019 -- AMFA National is conducting a survey of the Appearance Technician membership at Southwest Airlines. Your Negotiating Committee will utilize the feedback gathered by this survey to prepare for the upcoming negotiations process.

Reactions: 787nightmare
Fwiw: all local presidents been told to be in dc to sign a possible ta.
Must be the threat of another card drive threatening the associations money machine. If so we probably got screwed. No retro and signing bonus is my guess. My guess not facts. We'll see soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.