AMFA Organizing Drive to Replace Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably less then we did in 2003 when Jim Little sold us out. If we are approached with concessions it will be double of what we gave up in 2003 because we have double the unions representing us.
Yep, twice the price!

Reactions: swamt
So swamt how much is the union going to give up to keep you guys afloat?

Probably nothing at all.
AMFA has already made it clear that they do not support any pay cuts. So has the Pilots and F/A's. It is way to early to even entertain reduced pay at this point. However, with that said, AMFA will not just cave in like the industrial unions did at AA and US Air to whatever the company wanted (17-23%) IF it would ever get to that point, AMFA would be smart enough to nego end dates, snap back clauses, and absolutely no furloughs at all. This brings up a great point about AMFA's nego expertise.
Caught this update today off the AMFA National website;
AMFA just successfully beat a force majeure case in letter of agreement #9 at Alaska for all their stations listed. No force majeure can be used for the COVID-19 pandemic as force majeure.
Gentlemen, that is the first time any union has won a force majeure case during a current event as such.
Just thought you guys would want to hear this while making the decision on changing representation at your carrier. This is how AMFA will fight for you guys too NOT just constantly agreeing to everything the company wants as your current representation has done for over 3 decades. Time for change to better represent the mechanics and related with a class and craft union. Go AMFA@AA 2020!!!

In a decision dated September 18, 2020, Arbitrator Fredric R. Horowitz rejected Alaska Airlines’ position that job security provisions negotiated by the AMFA could be nullified by advent of the COVID-19 pandemic based on a force majeure clause contained in the relevant Letter of Agreement (LOA) #9. LOA#9 determined that at the six protected stations (Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, San Diego, and San Francisco) no furloughs will result in station layoff through the amendable date of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which is October 17, 2023.

Found it here:

National Director Update - September 2020
October2, 2020 -- September 2020 was another busy month for your AMFA Officers and Representatives as we continue to monitor the operational activity pertaining to headcount reductions while safeguarding AMFA protected work in this assaulted aviation industry.
Read More...

Gentlemen; This is how a real union nego's for their class and craft...

If any M&R TWU/IAM Association member can't see the obvious and signed a AMFA card by now all I can say is......

Stupider.png

In a decision dated September 18, 2020, Arbitrator Fredric R. Horowitz rejected Alaska Airlines’ position that job security provisions negotiated by the AMFA could be nullified by advent of the COVID-19 pandemic based on a force majeure clause contained in the relevant Letter of Agreement (LOA) #9. LOA#9 determined that at the six protected stations (Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, Portland, San Diego, and San Francisco) no furloughs will result in station layoff through the amendable date of the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which is October 17, 2023.
Gentlemen; This is how a real union nego's for their class and craft...

SWAMT; What happens to the guys at the unprotected station if they get a furlough notice? They do have bumping rights I assume? So if they go to one of your protected stations, does that station absorb them or does another member of AMFA get furloughed? If SWA or Alaska change their corporate model as far as aircraft being flown what happens with that statement as well? I would assume there is language in your contract saying that at any time the job can't be accomplished the company has the right to conduct business as required?

The NO STRIKE, NO LAYOFF, STATION PROTECTION, and whatever other clauses that are placed in a unions contract are ALL smoke and mirrors to make the members Feeeeeeel all warm and fuzzy. No Union can insure you have a job until the contract becomes ammedable.

AMFA members do have more rights than we do here at AA, but as GREAT as you claim SWA AMFA membership is, it's the same as every other airline. Only as strong/good as those who participate, and get involved in day to day going on.

Here at AA only the TWU scammers are involved no one else cares, simply because of all the corruption that has been going on here in the last 30+ years. No matter who goes into office here the scamming continues. That change from within does NOT work. That is WHY we here at AA need a reboot. Restart from scratch with AMFA, New members here at AA need to step up and say I am tired of this. We will see if/when we file and get an election.

SWAMT you preach a good game (I understand you are out at the moment ) but what involvement have YOU had in the UNION?

SWAMT; What happens to the guys at the unprotected station if they get a furlough notice? They do have bumping rights I assume? So if they go to one of your protected stations, does that station absorb them or does another member of AMFA get furloughed? If SWA or Alaska change their corporate model as far as aircraft being flown what happens with that statement as well? I would assume there is language in your contract saying that at any time the job can't be accomplished the company has the right to conduct business as required?
I read they would go with bumping rights. Not sure if they (Alaska) can bid into a new station unless there is an open position available though.
Yes to the language about the company running the bus as they need to.

The NO STRIKE, NO LAYOFF, STATION PROTECTION, and whatever other clauses that are placed in a unions contract are ALL smoke and mirrors to make the members Feeeeeeel all warm and fuzzy. No Union can insure you have a job until the contract becomes ammedable.
I hear what you are saying, and yes, if the company really had to they will run the company as they see fit even if they need to go thru the courts to accomplish such tasks.

AMFA members do have more rights than we do here at AA, but as GREAT as you claim SWA AMFA membership is, it's the same as every other airline. Only as strong/good as those who participate, and get involved in day to day going on.
Correct. A union membership is only as strong as the involvement of said membership. I will use a strike vote as example (example only) if only 10% of the membership would vote to do a strike= weak membership and union stance, but if a huge 95-99% vote came out that would have much stronger unity of the membership and companies will notice.

Here at AA only the TWU scammers are involved no one else cares, simply because of all the corruption that has been going on here in the last 30+ years. No matter who goes into office here the scamming continues. That change from within does NOT work. That is WHY we here at AA need a reboot. Restart from scratch with AMFA, New members here at AA need to step up and say I am tired of this. We will see if/when we file and get an election.
Yes you do. At least with AMFA, the membership can and will control the scamming going on. We have voted 2-3 times to remove certain ALR's as well as a couple of other votes trying to oust certain National Officers. With AMFA those options are available. Not allowed at any other industrial union.

SWAMT you preach a good game (I understand you are out at the moment ) but what involvement have YOU had in the UNION?
I am no longer a union rep. Was taking way too much of my personal family time away from family so I pulled back. But I do stay in touch with all the fellas. I was also involved in a bunch of contract nego's and keeping up with system boards and arbitrations that the teamsters refused to fight for us. But I will say I was also one of the main guys that helped bring AMFA in at SWA, as there were many who helped as well as it was a rather large group wanting changes to our representation.

I am no longer a union rep. Was taking way too much of my personal family time away from family so I pulled back. But I do stay in touch with all the fellas. I was also involved in a bunch of contract nego's and keeping up with system boards and arbitrations that the teamsters refused to fight for us. But I will say I was also one of the main guys that helped bring AMFA in at SWA, as there were many who helped as well as it was a rather large group wanting changes to our representation.

Good answer, I am glad you were involved, most don't do that even though they spout off like they are...

F the TWU. You gave away our right to choose our representation along with a plethora of other failures.

Your time screwing over the members at AA is about to end.

Stick to Local 100 problems there Johnny!

Last edited:
F the TWU. You gave away our right to choose our representation along with a plethora of other failures.

the twu has had many oportunities to reform or change to suit the membership they passed. we were forced into the assocition without a vote or a choice. as long as the iam has something the twu does not have it will be the same game over and over again at negotiaitions. what they have over the twu is the iam pension, and the right to veto any contract vote. the current leadership promised to start the "conversation" on getting out of the association, it was lip service thats it. no they had the chance and passed on it. time to move on. true unity starts with actual unity of representation which we were denied.

Rogallo; This is a GREAT Post, Not that it's from the TWU it truly shows How little Samuelsen knows about AMFA. Unlike the BIG industrial unions such as the TWU/IAM/IBT amfa does NOT HAVE A ORGANIZING DIVISION. The card signing that has been going on since last year is an internal displeasure of what the TWU has let happen here at AA. It's his members saying we want a change NOT A RAID> AMFA's card drives have always been grass root efforts until the level of cards signed is reached for AMFA to get involved to assist in making it happen.

He talks about how the TWU did so well during the current contract with AA, well from what the M&R employees seen as this contract was distributed the IAM did very well, FOR Their members while the TWU failed US ALL AGAIN... Our current deal is still a dual contract, one that benefits two unions in different ways. As the Larger of the two within the ASSociation the work rules that we had in place for much of our time have gone to the smaller group of M&R employees. I AM NOT TRYING TO CAUSE ANY SEPARATION BETWEEN THE WORK GROUP, but as TWU members within the Association just think How you feel about what we have lost.

We ALL have seen extra $$$$ that is true, but how much have we lost since 2003 and with the 2012 BK here. Do you think we recovered? Did we get more than we had back then? "NO" we did get some of it back "YES" but, our field trip language got weaker, Holidays returned but we lost in the language there as well. Has Our 401k has gotten better? we lost out on interest we could have had with it being deposited in our accounts on paydays rather than once a month. We All have seen the work it out process that has been going on since our contract was signed. Isn't it supposed to get worked out before we vote on it?

I hope that all of you that watch this send a msg to the TWU, say we have had enough of the BS and SCAMMING, sign an AMFA card before the end of the Month. So that we can bring an overwhelming card number to the NMB. By doing this we get a vote, a SAY of who we will have as our Bargaining unit here at AA.

ALL THE TWU IS INTERESTED IN IS YOUR DUES, ALL OF YOU KNOW THAT, OR YOU SHOULD. Just ask yourself How often do you even see the TWU reps at work? What about on weekends? What about Holidays? All they say we were in meetings. Do you believe that AA's Management gives the TWU reps 8 hrs a day, 5 days a week to discuss problems at your station? I DON'T.

This guys is a BUS/TRAIN Local Prez, he nows nothing of the railway labor act as it pertains to the airline division of his union. Perfect example was when he ran his mouth which cost us Money due to the court case with the FAKE NEWS about a slow down by the M&R employees. We ALL remember his rant.

Sign a card and lets send this NY Bus driver down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogallo
the last kick in the ass, the guys that took the early out with the 12 month pay out. still paying full dues at half salary.....

Something else that the TWU is letting happen is that in the current contract it states that a $1.00 per hr will be paid to ALL members of the aircraft movement crews. That $1.00 per hr will be paid to those who taxi and or run an aircraft not assigned to the aircraft movement crew for the time they performed that duty.

This NOT happening and the TWU knows about it. Now they are talking with the company trying to figure a way to dissolve the Taxi/Tow crews going forward.

I ask How all of the M&R employees feel about the CC and INSP seniority issue and how it has played out? With the current reduction of each at stations that it is happening. Do you think it is FAIR?

Do you think it is Fair that the ONE BARGAINING UNIT THE ASSOCIATION TWU/IAM, has its members getting separate Medical and and higher/Lower rates.

It is time to bring ALL the M&R employees under ONE umbrella with the same benefits allowed for all, at the same cost.

the last kick in the ass, the guys that took the early out with the 12 month pay out. still paying full dues at half salary.....
It ain't enough to have the company screwing ya every chance they get.....but your union too!

C'mon guys wake the F up!

To ALL of the M&R employees at AA the AMFA organizing group ( aka your fellow workers ) will be sending out another letter via text msg and or email with further information within the next day.

**** you! you fat piece of unelected ****!!!
You are again giving mechanic work to fleet service as you did in the past!
you gave fleet push backs then de icing and now brake riding!!!
AMFA is not a raid it is a grass roots drive from screwed over mechanics for over 30 years!!

Status
Not open for further replies.