AMR loses $452 million in first quarter, excluding special items

I think you need to rephrase that to "The company tasted taking back gains that were made 40 years ago", we havent made any real "gains" in over 30 years, only concessions in one form or another.

Without a doubt TWU negotiations for the last 25+ years have been a case of quid-pro-quo for every "gain" the union man made the company got an offset of cost equal to or greater than the gain in a form of concession either in pay, work rule, or benefit change.

This contract will be no different!

for the last 25+ years ..... every "gain" the union man made the company got an offset

Say what you will about the 2003 restructuring, but isn't that what normal Section 6 negotiations are about? Both sides getting something out of a deal?

Say what you will about the 2003 restructuring, but isn't that what normal Section 6 negotiations are about? Both sides getting something out of a deal?

Well sure it is but when your advantages are undercut by inflation and concessions not only does the buying power, standard of living, and economic status as a whole for the worker erode. Also then the profession suffers, and then the skill level suffers, and then the quality suffers, and then there is nothing left but the horizontal stabilizer with the company logo sticking up out of the ground in the news video broadcast on the news for days.

I think we could just as easy obtain a negative gain compensation package without paying two hours pay per month in union dues.

Don't get me wrong Eric I see the pitfalls of deregulation coupled with bankruptcy laws and corporate welfare that create a hybrid form of capitalism that is not only failing the stock holders, the employees, and the passengers. It is also a contributor to the problems of greed and ignorance in the country as a whole.

When the Union morphed into a business instead of a representing organization and dues payers became more important than advancing pay, benefits, and working conditions, they too failed everyone involved.

Have you sat on a RJ for a segment of that length? How about ORD-IAH? 925 miles on a regional jet, that won't make me think twice about flying AA, that will make me avoid AA like the plauge.

You're preaching to the choir. I've sat on Eagle RJs between DFW and at least a half a dozen small cities in the midwest, like CVG, MKE, TOL, FWA, GRR and SDF. I don't like sitting for 3 hours on a tiny RJ any more than the next passenger, but flying RJs into competitors' hubs is nothing new, as I pointed out. Not only are about half of UA's ORD-DFW flights on large RJs (with first class), UA flies nothing but RJs between ORD and MIA, over 1,000 miles. If jimntx is right, and Eagle RJs on ORD-DEN is a terrible idea, it's just AA catching up with UA and DL, both of which have many more RJ flights than AA and Eagle. DL just announced a full slate of large RJs between LGA and ORD It's unfortunate that the industry is as fragmented as it is, but UA and CO are trying to fix that.

Don't get me wrong Eric I see the pitfalls of deregulation coupled with bankruptcy laws and corporate welfare that create a hybrid form of capitalism that is not only failing the stock holders, the employees, and the passengers. It is also a contributor to the problems of greed and ignorance in the country as a whole.

Well its failing some stockholders, I'm sure that the Institutional investors that own AA make sure that much of the $20 billion or so that AMR takes in gets steered to and through other ventures that show them plenty of profits.

Back