An Alaska-Virgin America Deal Is A Big Win For American Airlines

Not so sure it's a big win just yet. Let's see if the deal happens *and* DOJ doesn't object too loudly.

AA & AS will probably have to revise their codeshare agreements, and some markets like DAL would have to be exempt from accruing AAdvantage miles (similar to how AA & BA were really restrictive prior to Open Skies).

There's a similar concern with the DL/AS agreement.

eolesen said:
Not so sure it's a big win just yet. Let's see if the deal happens *and* DOJ doesn't object too loudly.

AA & AS will probably have to revise their codeshare agreements, and some markets like DAL would have to be exempt from accruing AAdvantage miles (similar to how AA & BA were really restrictive prior to Open Skies).

There's a similar concern with the DL/AS agreement.
2 billion seems like too much.

It's 2.6B

Wonder if AS and AA would agree to an aircraft swap - send AS 737's in return for Airbus?

And AA has a bunch of new planes coming, dont need used ones that would cost money to introduce into the fleet.

Reactions: 1 person
It will be interesting to see what happens at Dallas Love Field after the deal is done.  Not sure if AS would do both airports in Dallas. AS going from one market to all 10 in Cal.  Not bad. They sure did pay a premium as they wanted it very badly. Premium was too high for JB to come back with a revised offer, very smart of AS...

I think the Love Field issue just got very messy.  As I understand it, because the user of the AA gates will be changing, the control of the gates reverts to AA.  I don't see AA having a problem with letting AS use them as long as the served markets are the same as with Virgin currently.  However, I think another airline (I won't mention any names) will end up in court claiming that its "rights" are being violated and that the gates should be forcibly given to it.  I'm not judgin'.  I'm just sayin'.

Reactions: 2 people
All the reasons you list is why I was asking about DAL.  It will be interesting going forward.  If what you say is true about AA regaining control, I kinda wonder if they might pursue again to fly out of DAL?  You never know.  Don't worry, that little ole airline you mention had their chances a many, many years ago to do something at DAL. They waited too long and missed their marks, several times...

jimntx said:
Why would they do that?  Alaska has an all-737 fleet.  If you're hoping to "purify" the AA fleet and return it to an all-Boeing stable, I think you're out of luck.
It would allow AS to go back to all Boeing and AA could get some used aircraft at great rates

The new AA wants to phase out the A320, I doubt they would take on anymore, especially used.

If AS wants to go all-Boeing, Boeing will make it happen.

As far as AA, AS, and DAL.... AA and AS have extensive codesharing and FF reciprocity.

I suspect the DOJ will not object to them taking over the gates, but I'd be very surprised if they'd allow either codesharing or FF reciprocity to apply to routes in/out/thru DAL (similar to the restrictions AA & BA had with LHR).