...and PHX begins the shrinking

I think this was the case with ABQ as the change over to Express happened pretty quickly. Want to say it was in 2010. I believe there were at least two separate incidents of pax being over-served and then driving (one resulting in a fatality) and that the liquor license was actually revoked.
I think this was the case with ABQ as the change over to Express happened pretty quickly. Want to say it was in 2010. I believe there were at least two separate incidents of pax being over-served and then driving (one resulting in a fatality) and that the liquor license was actually revoked.

IAH in 2011 was all Mainline flying, so I'll give you that station. The point about it being a Star hub mostly has to do with the fact that right around the time US exited Star, the flights started being pared down. There's probably more in play there too regarding the state of the oil industry over the last few years. IAH has seen better days. Also, SFO is in the top 10 in O&D destinations from PHX, while IAH is not.

I'm sure this isn't the same story, but I recall an incident with IAH involving an A319 and an improperly loaded HR in the taper. It had leaked all over the bin floor and the bottom stack of bags. I believe DGS at the time was handling our flights there. A certain portly ramper-turned-manager, who I've heard works for Swissport now, insisted that the inbound ramp crew were the ones who had to clean the cargo bin and also deliver the fluid-soaked bags to the claim belt. Never heard how that was resolved exactly.

OMA and MKE have been pretty consistently 2x Mainline for as long as I can remember. OMA may have had an Express flight here or there. DSM until a few years ago had been 2x Express. However, DSM, MKE, and OMA are all currently served twice daily with Mainline. And in the time since the merger, MEM was restarted and was actually upgauged from a CRJ-900 to an A319.

IAH in 2011 was all Mainline flying, so I'll give you that station. The point about it being a Star hub mostly has to do with the fact that right around the time US exited Star, the flights started being pared down. There's probably more in play there too regarding the state of the oil industry over the last few years. IAH has seen better days. Also, SFO is in the top 10 in O&D destinations from PHX, while IAH is not.

I'm sure this isn't the same story, but I recall an incident with IAH involving an A319 and an improperly loaded HR in the taper. It had leaked all over the bin floor and the bottom stack of bags. I believe DGS at the time was handling our flights there. A certain portly ramper-turned-manager, who I've heard works for Swissport now, insisted that the inbound ramp crew were the ones who had to clean the cargo bin and also deliver the fluid-soaked bags to the claim belt. Never heard how that was resolved exactly.

OMA and MKE have been pretty consistently 2x Mainline for as long as I can remember. OMA may have had an Express flight here or there. DSM until a few years ago had been 2x Express. However, DSM, MKE, and OMA are all currently served twice daily with Mainline. And in the time since the merger, MEM was restarted and was actually upgauged from a CRJ-900 to an A319.
I work at IAH and we have never had an Express flight to PHX since I came to IAH. We do all mainline flying there. We actually have way more mainline flights period vs regional. We have way too much cargo and mail on a daily basis. Also in terms of passengers. I haven't heard about any equipment changes in the upcoming summer schedule. Is this supposedly changing?

Last edited:
I work at IAH and we have never had an Express flight to PHX since I left CLT. We do all mainline flying there. We actually have way more mainline flights period vs regional. We have way too much cargo and mail on a daily basis. Also in terms of passengers. I haven't heard about any equipment changes in the upcoming summer schedule. Is this supposedly changing?

You could go to AA.com or jetnet and look for yourself a couple of months out as the type of plane would be listed or listed as an Express flight.

Reactions: Colonel.Ramp
You could go to AA.com or jetnet and look for yourself a couple of months out as the type of plane would be listed or listed as an Express flight.
I see it now. Thanks for the heads up. This is definitely new to our station. Especially when they are talking about adding new cities.

US had Mesa CRJ-900 on PHX-IAH for a while, they used Houston as link to CLT.

AA just announced a 1.5 billion plan for LAX. Not sure what that means for PHX.

The worst bag issue was when we had the CO synergy thing. The CO flights came in from IAH with all of the bags mixed, a real bag salad.

I mean just because AA has now assigned Express flying to all or in part between PHX-AUS/ONT/BUR/ABQ/ELP/SAT/IAH/TUS shouldn't be cause for concern. Not like these cities are SGU, IGM, ROW, MRY or SBA or anything.

Carry on!

Just to follow up on this, by November it looks like AA will fly mainline exclusively between PHX and AUS (5x daily) and on 3 out of 4 flights between PHX and SAT.

Reactions: Colonel.Ramp
Just to follow up on this, by November it looks like AA will fly mainline exclusively between PHX and AUS (5x daily) and on 3 out of 4 flights between PHX and SAT.

I think that is great to add mainline to AUS as I suspect it to be a decent yielding route and maybe use it as an upgraded link to other hubs. But overall I think you are continuing to see one step forward and two steps back in the PHX station.

From arrivals tonight......CLT, DCA, DFW, PHX: These four hubs have been our most financially successful hubs for years, and they are vital and fundamental to the future success of the airline. Though we aren’t adding any new international service in these hubs in the summer of 2018, we plan to add domestic service when it makes sense. We are also getting more gates in DFW and CLT and are planning some creative ways to use them.

CLT is and has been the alternative to DL ATL fortress hub DCA probably cld even do far better if the govt would release the restrictions on how far the airlines cld go but that's a whole story in itself

Question is...Who's going to do that flying? PHX-based crews or just a DFW or LAX or ORD crew passing through. As a flight attendant at DFW, I see more and more (what I would call) PHX flying worked into a DFW sequence.

Question is...Who's going to do that flying? PHX-based crews or just a DFW or LAX or ORD crew passing through. As a flight attendant at DFW, I see more and more (what I would call) PHX flying worked into a DFW sequence.

The AUS flights are 319 and 320, SAT has 2 of each 319 and 737-800.

I'm aware of that. However, I'm not that interested in what equipment is being flown as I am in who is doing the flying. PHX-based fas or DFW-based fas. I was working on my September bids last night and noticed that a LOT of DFW flying for September involves sequences that at some point go somewhere to PHX to AUS or other destinations not previously flown by LAA, or AUS to PHX to somewhere else. The somewhere city is often a station previously served by LUS as is the AUS (and other) destinations from PHX. That is not a route previously flown by us except in the last 6 months or so. Up until this year, going from PHX to AUS (or AUS to PHX) on LAA involved a change of planes in DFW. Anyone hear of cuts in the fa PHX base?

Last edited:
I'm aware of that. However, I'm not that interested in what equipment is being flown as I am in who is doing the flying. PHX-based fas or DFW-based fas. I was working on my September bids last night and noticed that a LOT of DFW flying for September involves sequences that at some point go somewhere to PHX to AUS or other destinations not previously flown by LAA, or AUS to PHX to somewhere else. The somewhere city is often a station previously served by LUS as is the AUS (and other) destinations from PHX. That is not a route previously flown by us except in the last 6 months or so. Up until this year, going from PHX to AUS (or AUS to PHX) on LAA involved a change of planes in DFW. Anyone hear of cuts in the fa PHX base?

Must be the same issue for DFW. LUS has no crew base at DFW, but there are a ton of LUS A321s/A319s in and out of DFW. I know a LAA ORD FA who flies thru PHX all the time..ORD-SEA-PHX-SAN-ORD on the A321 or 737.

Yes, but LUS has always flown those routes. The PHX flying that LAA is doing now was never part of the LAA network--i.e., PHX-SAC, PHX-AUS, PHX-SAN kinds of routes but those routes were flown by LUS people and equipment in the past. As I said earlier to go PHX-AUS on LAA required a change of planes in DFW. I have friends who are based in PHX. I am concerned about their futures.

I think we can all agree that right now the NEW AA has too many crew bases and hubs. Given past history, it's only a matter of time until some of them will be eliminated.

Yes, but LUS has always flown those routes. The PHX flying that LAA is doing now was never part of the LAA network--i.e., PHX-SAC, PHX-AUS, PHX-SAN kinds of routes but those routes were flown by LUS people and equipment in the past. As I said earlier to go PHX-AUS on LAA required a change of planes in DFW. I have friends who are based in PHX. I am concerned about their futures.

I think we can all agree that right now the NEW AA has too many crew bases and hubs. Given past history, it's only a matter of time until some of them will be eliminated.

On my gate at DFW we work 5 A321s a day...all LUS planes. I asked a pilot how they bid out of curiosity as he was based in PHX. He said they will start a 4 day trip in PHX and end up in DFW doing turns to SEA DEN SAT AUS LAS and a few others...and head back to PHX on the 4th day....so basically PHX based LUS crews start and end in PHX but do nothing but DFW based flying....same with LAA crews start in ORD or DFW but do a lot of PHX flying....AA has moved a lot of 737s to PHX and LUS A321s to DFW but hasn't adjusted the crew bases as of yet...don't think any PHX based FA's have anything to worry about.

A friend of mine is a flight attendant and told me she is doing training on the A330 . Starting in December going to Hawaii from Phoenix