And so it begins..

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
Delta aims to start UAL, Northwest merge talks: reportJanuary 10, 2008 2:18 PM ET

Delta Air Lines Inc plans on Friday to ask its board for permission to begin formal merger talks with both Northwest Airlines Corp and United Airlines parent UAL Corp , the Wall Street Journal reported on Thursday.

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal said on its Web site that Delta would aim to ultimately choose between the two carriers.

Delta, which emerged from bankruptcy last spring after rebuffing a hostile takeover offer by US Airways Group Inc , set up a special board committee months ago to help it review its strategic options, including mergers.

Betsy Talton, spokeswoman for Delta, said the No. 3 U.S. carrier was not providing updates on the special committee's work, while it was in progress.

In November, Delta moved to quickly deny media reports that it was in merger talks with UAL.

"Our position on the need for consolidation generally in the industry is well known, and we don't comment on rumors or speculation," said UAL spokeswoman Jean Medina.

Northwest was not immediately available from comment.

Airline shares, already soaring on renewed merger speculation ahead of the report, continued to rally.

In afternoon trade, Delta shares rose 17.8 percent to $15.92, Northwest surged 24.1 percent to $14.90, and UAL climbed 21.9 percent to $31.73.

A deal between Delta and either airline would likely create the world's largest carrier, overtaking AMR Corp's American Airlines. An acquisition of either airline by Delta would be worth at least $3.5 billion, based on current market values.

The modest recovery in the U.S. airline industry has begun to flag amid soaring fuel prices and a sagging U.S. economy. Most major U.S. airlines are expected to post losses for the fourth quarter of 2007 after profits earlier in the year.

Mergers are seen as a way to stabilize the volatile and fragmented industry by allowing carriers to cut costs, reduce capacity, and raise fares.

Some industry insiders suggest any proposed deal between major carriers would stand a better chance of clearing U.S. antitrust review under the Bush administration, which has approved two big airline mergers, rather than a Justice Department potentially controlled by Democrats beginning in 2009.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aren't we pretty much gunning for the same two?

Uh oh...Delta + Northwest would be fine but anything with United would put US/HP on it's toes...
I think NW and US would be very similar to the US+HP merger. Memphis is the only redundant hub and a midwest hub would fill in some gaps in the current US system. Add in the Tokyo presence and it's largely positive. Of course they have had some labor issues, but can that really get any worse here?

Interesting article on a DL/NW merger. I don't know much about this website and its credibility....but an interesting perspective though.

http://www.airlinebulletin.com/

I also don't think it's all that bad at NW. But the fuel issue and the fleet compatibility make me think DL may choose UA. Both issues would be very costly to fix post-merger. If true, USAviation better get a few more moderators, servers and increase its capacity. :p :D :lol:

Scroll down the home page to this article:

Potential 2008 Merger: Delta and Northwest

I think NW and US would be very similar to the US+HP merger. Memphis is the only redundant hub and a midwest hub would fill in some gaps in the current US system. Add in the Tokyo presence and it's largely positive. Of course they have had some labor issues, but can that really get any worse here?

That would be really fun to watch. I heard NW employees are just as disgruntled as us Easties!

If DL & NW Merged...Bye bye MEM for sure...

If DL & UA Merged...Bye bye SLC for sure...

Either way I don't care but if UA gets a merger on it's hand and it's a SkyTeam partner then all we gotta say is "Holy Crap".

I think logistically UA+NW would be a better match due to Fleet commonality domestically however on the international fronts UA would be acquiring more Asian routes and the Airbus heavies...

I also don't think it's all that bad at NW. But the fuel issue and the fleet compatibility make me think DL may choose UA. Both issues would be very costly to fix post-merger. If true, USAviation better get a few more moderators, servers and increase its capacity. :p :D :lol:

Where do I go to apply to be a Moderator? I have wayyy too much free time on my hands these days :)

DL+UA will = NW+CO, and US/-Death

DL+NW and UA+CO = same.

DL+CO would put US in play because UA+NW is a no go... US needs either UA or NW.

US is no hot property, they were the belle of the merger ball 8 years ago but are now the ugly girl from the wrong side of the tracks. They better jump in now with a hell of a lot of money and creativity or they'll be runway roadkill, with maybe a Shuttle sale to AA then shutdown.

DL+UA will = NW+CO, and US/-Death

DL+NW and UA+CO = same.

DL+CO would put US in play because UA+NW is a no go... US needs either UA or NW.

US is no hot property, they were the belle of the merger ball 8 years ago but are now the ugly girl from the wrong side of the tracks. They better jump in now with a hell of a lot of money and creativity or they'll be runway roadkill, with maybe a Shuttle sale to AA then shutdown.

If this consodilation happens, I guess that leaves US as a small, regional carrier. Again.

That would be really fun to watch. I heard NW employees are just as disgruntled as us Easties!

I hear the same thing. I took a NW flight and thought it was going to be miserable. Instead (and yes, this is one experience, I know), from the ticket agent, to the club to the F/A's service was very good. Pre-departure drinks on the flight and constant walking in FC throughout the PHL-DTW flight. I was surprised.

LCC could be left out of this....unless of course AA steps in and gets the stapler out.

AA is too big for this round. If the others are involved in major mergers, they may be able to get AS or get pieces like one of the Shuttles.

I think Dan Rather would say it best!
Smelling salts for US Airways please.
"Frankly we don't know whether to wind the watch or to bark at the moon."
"We've lived by the crystal ball, we're eating so much broken glass. We're in critical condition."
View attachment 6975