Anti-AFA Delta FA's On US 1549

LukeAisleWalker

Veteran
Sep 29, 2007
I was perusing some friends' profiles on Facebook when I saw a link to the NO WAY AFA group who have started a Facebook page. In all honesty, I was getting ready to commend them (even though I differ in opinion) for coming out of the shadows of anonymity and, as activists for their cause, putting their names forth in such a fashion. It was also interesting to note that some of them are actually open to and encouraging Town Hall type meetings between pro and anti-AFA f/a's from NW and DL. They were invited to do this during the last campaign but refused so I thought, ' hey...the fear of AFA passing this time (with NW f/a's) has caused them to rethink their strategy' and I was ready to commend them for this change and willingness to come out of the closet, so-to-speak, and discuss the differences.

That was until I saw one of them posted that AFA/CWA Pres. Pat Friend supposedly said, and I quote from the poster:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5566...&topic=6584

“Flight attendants are highly trained safety and security professionals. The successful evacuation was an overwhelming example of the need for union flight attendants on aircraft.â€￾

Friend said her union provides flight attendants with extensive training on emergency evacuations, and noted that each year union members undergo additional training to ensure proficiency.

So I did a google to find this quote and nowhere did I find it. I only found the following from USA Today.com:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/ite...k=61425934.blog

In a statement, union president Patricia Friend, says: "We applaud our AFA-CWA flight attendants for their professionalism in today's emergency water landing. Flight attendants are highly trained safety and security professionals and today’s successful evacuation is an overwhelming example of the necessary role flight attendants serve on board the aircraft. Flight attendants receive extensive training on emergency evacuations and each year they undergo additional training to ensure their proficiency."

If anyone can find where Pat Friend says that AFA trains f/a's in evacuations, please let me know as I can't seem to find this quote. Personally, I believe that is because it doesn't exist.

For a group that claims the pro-union side is full of half-truths and only emotional reaction, I would say the anti-union side is doing a pretty good job as well.

Let me just say that my hats are off to ALL crewmembers of US 1549.

I honestly think that is either a misquote or not the actual comment.

what concerns me about one of those comments is simply the poster on that blog was not on board that aircraft or knew the circumstances the Flight Attendants of #1549 were dealing with inside the cabin.. but was quick to point out what he perceived to be their mistakes. I just find that incredibly disrespectful taking into consideration one of the Flight Attendants was injured due to the impact and they were dealing with not only an evacuation but also a ditching after both engines failed.

I am very disappointed anyone would use an accident as a pro union/union argument.

If anyone can find where Pat Friend says that AFA trains f/a's in evacuations, please let me know as I can't seem to find this quote. Personally, I believe that is because it doesn't exist.

For a group that claims the pro-union side is full of half-truths and only emotional reaction, I would say the anti-union side is doing a pretty good job as well.

The passage you mistakenly refer to as a "quote" (it isn't a quote since there aren't quotes around it on the Facebook page) is actually a media paraphrase by none other than People's Weekly World, a communist website:

“Flight attendants are highly trained safety and security professionals. The successful evacuation was an overwhelming example of the need for union flight attendants on aircraft,â€￾ declared Patricia Friend, president of the AFA-CWA. Friend said her union provides flight attendants with extensive training on emergency evacuations, and noted that each year union members undergo additional training to ensure proficiency.

http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/14311/

Yet another tempest in a teapot by you and by the Facebook group, none of whom seemed to realize that Friend was misquoted by some idiot communist "journalists" at PWW.

BTW, it took me all of 10 seconds to find the passage on Google News. Search tip: enter the phrase "Friend said her union provides flight attendants with extensive training" on Google News. The PWW site is the only search result.

The passage you mistakenly refer to as a "quote" (it isn't a quote since there aren't quotes around it on the Facebook page) is actually a media paraphrase by none other than People's Weekly World, a communist website:

Yet another tempest in a teapot by you and by the Facebook group, none of whom seemed to realize that Friend was misquoted by some idiot communist "journalists" at PWW.

BTW, it took me all of 10 seconds to find the passage on Google News. Search tip: enter the phrase "Friend said her union provides flight attendants with extensive training" on Google News. The PWW site is the only search result.

FWAA--
Thanks for your insight. To be honest, I didn't think copying and pasting the exact quote would yield direct results. I was always told to use "keywords" rather than phrases in Google searches.
As far as a tempest in a teapot--that is YOUR opinion. With that statement, you are judging my motivation in posting the topic. I brought it to this forum to see if I could get help in finding the quote and you fulfilled my request, for that I'm thankful, but there is no need for your impuning my motive. It's uncalled for.

And you are INCORRECT about there not being quotation marks on the facebook site. Take a look again. (This is why I provided a link.) This portion is CLEARLY in quotation marks and it is even referred to by the poster as a direct quote from Pat Friend:
“Flight attendants are highly trained safety and security professionals. The successful evacuation was an overwhelming example of the need for union flight attendants on aircraft.â€￾

At least we now know the info. is bogus.

You are correct.

I am very disappointed anyone would use an accident as a pro union/union argument.

Me too, especially when none of them has their facts straight. But leave it to the PWW to print the following:

‘Miracle on the Hudson’ was union-made

Once again, the nation has witnessed the difference between life and death that comes from having trained, experienced union members on the job.

Combining quick thinking and sheer bravery with their experience as long-time union members, US Airways Flight 1549 pilot Capt. Chesley Sullenberger and co-pilot Jeffrey Skiles, its crew of flight attendants, and the air traffic controllers teamed up to pull off the “Miracle on the Hudson,â€￾ in which 155 people survived an emergency landing in New York’s Hudson River on Jan. 15.

The many stories that have appeared in the mainstream media have praised the event as a “miracleâ€￾ but have failed to point out that every single one of these heroes involved in pulling it off is a union member. Passengers on many commuter airlines, flown by poorly paid non-union pilots and staffed by non-union crews, might not have been as lucky.

The entire article is filled with references to the various unions involved and asserts that the miracle was due to their union membership. Sickening.

what concerns me about one of those comments is simply the poster on that blog was not on board that aircraft or knew the circumstances the Flight Attendants of #1549 were dealing with inside the cabin.. but was quick to point out what he perceived to be their mistakes. I just find that incredibly disrespectful taking into consideration one of the Flight Attendants was injured due to the impact and they were dealing with not only an evacuation but also a ditching after both engines failed.

What's most disconcerting is that these NO WAY AFA activists actually believe that they aren't involved in propoganda, emotionalism, half-truths and now, poor taste. Why they had to bring in 1549 into Delta's f/a union disagreement is beyond me. Let's just discuss the merits on their own.

FWAA--
Thanks for your insight. To be honest, I didn't think copying and pasting the exact quote would yield direct results. I was always told to use "keywords" rather than phrases in Google searches.
As far as a tempest in a teapot--that is YOUR opinion. With that statement, you are judging my motivation in posting the topic. I brought it to this forum to see if I could get help in finding the quote and you fulfilled my request, for that I'm thankful, but there is no need for your impuning my motive. It's uncalled for.

And you are INCORRECT about there not being quotation marks on the facebook site. Take a look again. (This is why I provided a link.) This portion is CLEARLY in quotation marks and it is even referred to by the poster as a direct quote:

At least we now know the info. is bogus.

You're right. I was talking about the second paragraph where Friend is alleged to have said that the union provides training to the FAs in evacuations. That's the one that seems to have the Facebook crowd's panties in a bunch. But it appears that the PWW also fabricated the first paragraph (the quote in quotation marks). Sorry bout that.

Still, I find it sickening that anyone would try to assert that union membership had anything to do with surviving a potential airplane disaster. The PWW (and its supporters) should be ashamed.

the airlines do the actual training..initial..recurrent..ext. does that group not understand that is the case in this industry?

They understand it but in their zeal to tar and feather Ms. Friend, they asserted through the bogus article (thanks again FWAA) that SHE is saying the evacuation was so successful because they were union f/a's.

You're right. I was talking about the second paragraph where Friend is alleged to have said that the union provides training to the FAs in evacuations. That's the one that seems to have the Facebook crowd's panties in a bunch. But it appears that the PWW also fabricated the first paragraph (the quote in quotation marks). Sorry bout that.

Still, I find it sickening that anyone would try to assert that union membership had anything to do with surviving a potential airplane disaster. The PWW (and its supporters) should be ashamed.

I agree with you and that is why I chose NOT to refer here (on USAVIATON) to the more unsavory comments made by other NOWAY AFA Facebook posters in regards to the incident. I was outraged...and that's why I brought the discussion here to gain clarification and again, thanks for your help in the Google search.

What's most disconcerting is that these NO WAY AFA activists actually believe that they aren't involved in propoganda, emotionalism, half-truths and now, poor taste. Why they had to bring in 1549 into Delta's f/a union disagreement is beyond me. Let's just discuss the merits on their own.
I have no idea why they are doing that?

Latest posts