Any UA dispatchers on here? Hows that new contract?

D7571987

Senior
Oct 2, 2015
I see the dispatchers have voted in the TA. I wondered if it is the same as the details that the company posted on their negotiations site as the 9-13-2013 company proposal where the topped out all in hourly wage was $62.31 an hour?

Yeah I have noticed the dispatcher contracts at SWA and UPS and now UAL and DAL the money is quite good and contracts seem to get settled quicker. Must be nice to be in a small group and only 5 to 6 weeks to obtain a dispatch license. They have some nice bennies that mechanics don't have like jumpseat for example. Wish I had known about dispatch when I got into aviation 30+ years ago I would have never got an A@P and wasted my time as a mechanic it is without a doubt the most thankless job I have ever had. Well too late now. Good for them though glad to see someone can negotiate decent contracts.  

Jumpseating by Dispatcher's is very restrictive. You can't just jump on any flight. And priority is low. 

D7571987 said:
Jumpseating by mechanics is banned now. 
Yeah, that usually lasts till they have a broken airplane somewhere - course then it's okay.  That's the way it is at AA.

Why is jump seating banned for mechanics?  You would think they would want a mechanic to "in case" something happens. And, your another body to help safe guard the cockpit from any intruders, another fighter say, and another before getting to the Pilots.

At Continental we could ride jumpseat. After the merger the company said no mechanics flying jumpseat.  Another reason we let taxi run up authorization expire. If im not good enough to ride up there in on a flight then im not safe enough or good enough to operate the plane on the ground either. 

Instead they can pay the Capt and FO each an hour of pay to do a maint run on the gate when needed so that costs the company $400  or so.

swamt said:
Why is jump seating banned for mechanics?  You would think they would want a mechanic to "in case" something happens. And, your another body to help safe guard the cockpit from any intruders, another fighter say, and another before getting to the Pilots.