Anyone else hear this?

Hawaii is not slot restricted in anyway and you don't need to buy a route to fly there. They only bought slots from ATA because that's what they needed to actually fly into the airport. SWA will never make a sub-fleet of ETOPS Jet's to fly to Hawaii. Thank God for that.

SWA will never make a sub-fleet of ETOPS Jet's to fly to Hawaii.
I'd be careful about the "never" forecasts. A few 737-800's would do the trick, have a common type rating with the rest of WN's fleet, and share a large amount of compatibility parts/maintenance wise.

For more capacity, there's the 787 - an efficient plane for an efficient carrier. A different fleet type to be sure but WN hasn't discounted the possibility of long-haul international flying in the future, and that would require a different fleet type anyway.

Jim

Orignal post from Airliners.net:

Hey out there, just heard a rumor that US Airways and Mesa/Go! were in talks about bringing in bigger aircraft to Hawaii for the inter island service. JO must be trying to compete with Mokulele's and Hawaiian aircraft

US Airways has a contentious relationship with Mesa, at best. We have no codeshare now with them in the islands, so why would we be "working with them" to bring bigger aircraft to Hawaii?

I have often wondered, though, why we DON'T codeshare with Mesa (GO!) here in Hawaii??? It seems a natural with the extensive codeshare we have in Phoenix with them. Hawaiian handles our ground here, all of our outbound connections are always on Hawaiian and when we deadhead interisland it is ALWAYS on Hawaiian. Flying into LIH yesterday we had 20 outbound connections going to HNL on Hawaiian because both of our Honolulu flights were oversold out of Phoenix. This happens frequently and I never see pax with outbound cx on GO!.

Doesn't seem much of a stretch across the water for WN, as Alaska flys 737-800 to the islands. Their dedicated Hawaiian etops planes feature the Alaska "flight attendant" painted on the tail sporting a large pink lei. Cute!

Aloha from the island of Kaua'i.