APFA Priorities

Veritas

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Rather than fret over their jobs, flight attendants obsess on Alec Baldwin, attempt 30 Rock ban

One might think the Association of Professional Flight Attendants — the union representing American Airlines' 18,000 flight attendants — might have enough to worry about with the airline filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in late November. After all, experts suggest that the restructuring will likely lead to decreases in pay and benefits, pensions and overall jobs.

So of course the APFA has mobilized against . . . Alec Baldwin.

<snip>

“There is a difference between being funny and being mean,” AFPA's Julie Frederick told RadarOnline.com. “Flight attendants have not been the only recipients of Alec Baldwin’s ill temper."

Now, according to E! Online, the flight attendants have talked to decision makers at American Airlines to try and get Baldwin's sitcom 30 Rock pulled from the in-flight entertainment lineup. A spokesman for American says no final decision on the show has been made.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I tell pax one time only
to turn their devices off. If they do not comply I don't care.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion. I tell pax one time only
to turn their devices off. If they do not comply I don't care.

Why should the APFA care about job cuts...They have the "cushion". How convenient to collect dues and not have to represent.

Reactions: 2 people
Why should the APFA care about job cuts...They have the "cushion". How convenient to collect dues and not have to represent.

If you are referring to the CM speakers, they will not be a cushion. AA can and will furlough them and hire Flight Service Directors (FSD's) to speak CM, just like they do on the Haiti flights. THe FSD's will occupy a regular seat in the cabin and the only think they will do is speak. So the "cushion" is not there as you think it is.

[/quote
Union representation does not come free. If you are associated/member of APFA you must pay your share. No free rides!

If you are referring to the CM speakers, they will not be a cushion. AA can and will furlough them and hire Flight Service Directors (FSD's) to speak CM, just like they do on the Haiti flights. THe FSD's will occupy a regular seat in the cabin and the only think they will do is speak. So the "cushion" is not there as you think it is.

I am certainly not speaking of the CMSs...lol There is a "cushion" of people that have already spent years and years being furloughed and the LOA is not being applied to the letter of the agreement and who knows what will happen in BK...just look at the question/answer re: CMSs on Jetnet.

As far as "no free ride"..I have no problem stating if you are in a non pay status, you cannot vote or hold office unless you are dues current. Once returned to pay status you MUST be dues current. I do have a problem charging people dues and not allowing them to attend mtgs. discontinuing the 800#, refusing to file NODs and the list goes on and on. This is especially heinous for those who have NEVER been trained on AA metal. They will be returning to work owing over one thousand dollars. Extended recall was paid for by grievances worth BIG bucks and AA has already signed off on unlimited recall. I have NEVER seen a union that charges dues during a non pay status not allow all benefits of membership because those dues will be paid upon return to pay status. That and the fact that most unions have either a cap on non pay status amts. or a greatly reduced amt.during layoffs. But then this is the APFA.

Reactions: 1 person