April/May 2013 IAM Fleet Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is usually the same, both districts usually use IAM legal department and some outside counsel depending on the issue.

Reactions: 1 person
On Tuesday, one of the VPs came to PHX to give a small presentation about the AA/US merger and to answer various questions from mostly customer service and fleet agents in a conference room. As I understand it, someone asked about LAS and it was explained that there was no news outside of moving to D Terminal to be closer to AA along with a rejection of any expansion of flights and no mention of recalls or any OAL contracted work.

So she is either completely out of the loop, parsing her words carefully or these rumors of a recall are completely false. I guess we will find out in a few months.

Who was it (even though I'm gonna guess it was DP)? Odds are she was dispensing only the public and final information. I have not hearad anything OFFICIAL that ther will be recalls in LAS; were I a VP I wouldn't say there was either. I'd couch it into vagueness with something like "Yes, US is moving the the D Gates in LAS. Yes we are evaluating the headcount there. We do that periodically at every station, and whenever something changes that may indicate the potential need for adjustment." She can't say what's not official, because anythign she puts out BECOMES official.

Who was it (even though I'm gonna guess it was DP)? Odds are she was dispensing only the public and final information. I have not hearad anything OFFICIAL that ther will be recalls in LAS; were I a VP I wouldn't say there was either. I'd couch it into vagueness with something like "Yes, US is moving the the D Gates in LAS. Yes we are evaluating the headcount there. We do that periodically at every station, and whenever something changes that may indicate the potential need for adjustment." She can't say what's not official, because anythign she puts out BECOMES official.
Company officials are very good at deceit, deception and vague answers to questions. They have been trained well. Then again... most of them are as in the dark, concerning the true agenda of the shot callers, as anyone. Puppets on a string so to speak. If you seek a true and authoritive answer to questions regarding your future employment or long term plans of the company... do not look for anything substantial from company representatives. Much uncertainty ahead sisters and brothers.

Lets hope the iam doesnt chase the association and just sign a flimsy wage boost in section 6 without securing more scope (sorry not interested in drop dead dates) and retirement enhancements. I have to read the whole 64 page doc but lets hope this new organization doesnt screw all of us by filing single carrier before our usairways members are advanced to ate least somewhere greater than the lame bankrupt agreement at amr. regards,

Lets hope the iam doesnt chase the association and just sign a flimsy wage boost in section 6 without securing more scope (sorry not interested in drop dead dates) and retirement enhancements. I have to read the whole 64 page doc but lets hope this new organization doesnt screw all of us by filing single carrier before our usairways members are advanced to ate least somewhere greater than the lame bankrupt agreement at amr. regards,
IMO... if they were to sign a flimsy wage boost in section 6 without securing more scope... their TA would suffer the same outcome the TA at UA did. Overwhelming rejection by the membership. The question is... has the District learned from past failed strategies or are they destined to repeat them? How many times can a leadership team reached TAs, only to have them overwhelminly rejected by the members they represent? Where is their credibilty in the end? IMO...this is the district's opportunity to get it right with the members they represent.

Agreeing to maintain the status quo simply to maintain dues revenue stream is in no one's best interest.This isn't about your best interest or mine, this is about large corporations (Which is all these big unions are) protecting their income.

IMO... if they were to sign a flimsy wage boost in section 6 without securing more scope... their TA would suffer the same outcome the TA at UA did. Overwhelming rejection by the membership. The question is... has the District learned from past failed strategies or are they destined to repeat them? How many times can a leadership team reached TAs, only to have them overwhelminly rejected by the members they represent? Where is their credibilty in the end? IMO...this is the district's opportunity to get it right with the members they represent.
Ograc, I will be starting up a network of information because I have a hunch that this eboard is going to do the same sales job they did at Hawaiian, and United. I wouldn't be surprised if things move rapidly by the eboard as I see management closely behind all of this and, if that is true, then management wants a flimsy contract today. Thus, my hunch is that within the next 30 days we may see something that we will have to vote down. Nobody is impressed with the association or paying more dues than others under the same contract. And NOBODY will be impressed if the NC does NOT bring back REAL SCOPE. Folks, we are in section 6 negotiations which is our BEST SPOT IN 15 years!!! Throw on a management team that wants and NEEDS our help to bring this merger more 'seamless". Screw the merger if we dont' get a contract with dignity and respect. The company's position should be a minimum of what they agreed to at AMR, which means that the company should at least be offering 10% immediate pay increase [AMR at $22.58 in September]. The unions position should be far far ahead of that. However, what I heard about negotiations is that our NC is NOT asking for scope and only asking for a tiny wage increase. With that said, I am suspicious that they will try to BS everyone into telling them that "Now isn't the time, we will be stronger in transition talks". LMFAO!!! One other thing, transition talks take YEARS. It was 3 years last time for US AIRWAYS, and United is going on 4 years because there isn't any juice in transition talks. If we don't get some things like scope NOW, it will be much much harder. What is so difficult about management wanting to commit to all of our members who helped make this airline great again?? All present stations should be grandfathered because ALL of them are a part of what made this merger happen. I'll be damn if someone loses their job because of this as management brags about having the biggest airline and making $4 billion a year net. Not on our backs! regards

Reactions: 3 people
Nobody is impressed with the association or paying more dues than others under the same contract. And NOBODY will be impressed if the NC does NOT bring back REAL SCOPE. Folks, we are in section 6 negotiations which is our BEST SPOT IN 15 years!!! Throw on a management team that wants and NEEDS our help to bring this merger more 'seamless". Screw the merger if we dont' get a contract with dignity and respect. The company's position should be a minimum of what they agreed to at AMR, which means that the company should at least be offering 10% immediate pay increase [AMR at $22.58 in September]. The unions position should be far far ahead of that.

I agree.

Ograc, I will be starting up a network of information because I have a hunch that this eboard is going to do the same sales job they did at Hawaiian, and United. I wouldn't be surprised if things move rapidly by the eboard as I see management closely behind all of this and, if that is true, then management wants a flimsy contract today. Thus, my hunch is that within the next 30 days we may see something that we will have to vote down. Nobody is impressed with the association or paying more dues than others under the same contract. And NOBODY will be impressed if the NC does NOT bring back REAL SCOPE. Folks, we are in section 6 negotiations which is our BEST SPOT IN 15 years!!! Throw on a management team that wants and NEEDS our help to bring this merger more 'seamless". Screw the merger if we dont' get a contract with dignity and respect. The company's position should be a minimum of what they agreed to at AMR, which means that the company should at least be offering 10% immediate pay increase [AMR at $22.58 in September]. The unions position should be far far ahead of that. However, what I heard about negotiations is that our NC is NOT asking for scope and only asking for a tiny wage increase. With that said, I am suspicious that they will try to BS everyone into telling them that "Now isn't the time, we will be stronger in transition talks". LMFAO!!! One other thing, transition talks take YEARS. It was 3 years last time for US AIRWAYS, and United is going on 4 years because there isn't any juice in transition talks. If we don't get some things like scope NOW, it will be much much harder. What is so difficult about management wanting to commit to all of our members who helped make this airline great again?? All present stations should be grandfathered because ALL of them are a part of what made this merger happen. I'll be damn if someone loses their job because of this as management brags about having the biggest airline and making $4 billion a year net. Not on our backs! regards
I agree meaningful and immediate wage, benefit and scope improvement has the best chance of being realized while we are in section 6. With that being said... I will not support a strategy and spin of little improvement in section 6 with the hope we gain improvements in Transition talks. This strategy failed at UA. Look at the mess their in now. Has the district learned from past failed strategy? We will see. Imo... if they have not; they are destined to repeat history. I hold out hope our NC will be able to steer us away from past failed strategy. We need to gain meaninful IMPROVEMENTS NOW! Transition negotiations later. I believe this is the mindset of the vast majority of US Fleet Service.

orgac i agree with you and in my own opin i do know that is the mindset i have and i sincerely hope it will come out the way we would expect it to but given mgmt history and the history of the past as well as the mess at ual only time will tell

orgac i agree with you and in my own opin i do know that is the mindset i have and i sincerely hope it will come out the way we would expect it to but given mgmt history and the history of the past as well as the mess at ual only time will tell
robbedagain,
Mgmt controls many things relating to the Fleet's working conditions. Much of this control is obtained through collective bargaining with the IAM. Collective bargaining between the union and mgmt may lead to tentative agreements, however, in the end, the membership either ratifies or rejects. The members at the combined UA / CO overwhemingly rejected the inferior transition agreement. An embarrassment for a district and NC who is supposed to be representing the best interests and have the support of their members. Hopefully, our NC will change this course. If not... history will indeed repeat itself IMO.

i hear ya on that as for that ua rejection if that dont teach the district and mgmt a lesson then what will i only hope we do not get presented with that kind of garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.