Arbitration

bigjets

Veteran
Jan 14, 2011
I doubt GOV would allow us to strike, AA doesn’t want a strike, the association would not do well with a strike.

The question is, what does the association think the outcome would be if we went to arbitration.

We would have the same contract basically as all othe airline mechs with the best scope and highest paid. We would have the same health insurance as all other AA employees. Based on what Isom said he was offering.

What do we have to gain for holding out for another couple of years? The association already gave AA cross utilization our only real negotiating strong point.

Reactions: B737 driver
Whether you think arbitration is a good or bad thing...it isn’t going to happen...the TWU would never put this in the hands of a third party...do you remember what happened to the flight attendants?...I know the financials were different then...still not going to happen...

Actually ,,,,, I thought just the opposite, seems they love to put things in the hands of neutrals, (seniority?) . This way when a decision comes down that adversely affects their members, they can throw their hands up and then point at the neutral. Its a good way to remove political heat.

In the end, I fully expect that this negotiation will be no different.

Reactions: we're screwed
This whole process will start anytime after the month of October.
According to the association release, AA will not meet until a mediator is in on the talks. More delays and stalling. I really see nothing more until next year.

Reactions: we're screwed
Sit tight, the Association will draw upon it's leverage in the not to distant future. You have to remember, the Association was formed to put the fear of God in AA. Strength in numbers was never going to be more apparent.
I for one am truly excited and expect the mother of all leverage to be on display soon...And be sure and prepare your checking account for the "retro" check you will receive as well.

Actually ,,,,, I thought just the opposite, seems they love to put things in the hands of neutrals, (seniority?) . This way when a decision comes down that adversely affects their members, they can throw their hands up and then point at the neutral. Its a good way to remove political heat.

In the end, I fully expect that this negotiation will be no different.

I agree with your post, and both sides would love to have a 3rd party to blame so the union can say wasn't us, and the co. can say wasn't us.
In our case we never thought we would have had to go to mediation, but, never say never.

Reactions: robbedagain
I agree with your post, and both sides would love to have a 3rd party to blame so the union can say wasn't us, and the co. can say wasn't us.
In our case we never thought we would have had to go to mediation, but, never say never.
Hmmm then why does AMFA blame the company we are in mediation, your words are coming back to haunt you, just look at your post on the SWA Board.

Whether you think arbitration is a good or bad thing...it isn’t going to happen...the TWU would never put this in the hands of a third party...do you remember what happened to the flight attendants?...I know the financials were different then...still not going to happen...

I disagree with you, I do remember what happened to the FAs, AA wanted a hard 40 (meaning FAs have to work 40 hours a month) FAs didn't. Then AA agreed to backoff hard 40 if contract voted in, but if not hard 40 would be in contract. then the FA Bob Owen bookface type know it alls, said vote no, send them back into negotiations, but the union leaders clearly said there is no more negotiations and we go straight to arbitration, but the galley FA know it alls who work maybe once a month knew better said AA gave in on hard 40 they will give us our old healthcare back (they paid half as much as we did before 2012 BK) we couldn't get better healthcare then FAs or pilots in 90s or 2000s but now we are?

To arbitration they went, where they lost every decision from the arbitrator and the hard 40 back in contract which will be active starting in february.

The vote NO know it alls have cost us over $70k in cash and counting.

I disagree with you, I do remember what happened to the FAs, AA wanted a hard 40 (meaning FAs have to work 40 hours a month) FAs didn't. Then AA agreed to backoff hard 40 if contract voted in, but if not hard 40 would be in contract. then the FA Bob Owen bookface type know it alls, said vote no, send them back into negotiations, but the union leaders clearly said there is no more negotiations and we go straight to arbitration, but the galley FA know it alls who work maybe once a month knew better said AA gave in on hard 40 they will give us our old healthcare back (they paid half as much as we did before 2012 BK) we couldn't get better healthcare then FAs or pilots in 90s or 2000s but now we are?

To arbitration they went, where they lost every decision from the arbitrator and the hard 40 back in contract which will be active starting in february.

I agree, at this point there is a cost to every member...it will be interesting to see where the mediator stands on the scope issues...most of the mediator's time with be dedicated to this issue...all I'm saying is that arbitration will not be an option IMO...I would love to come back and eat crow but something tells me I'll stay hungry...looking at UA and DAL I don't see a favorable outcome in a binding third party decision...

Are you talking about the "vote no, bk is a bluff" know it alls from 2010?

After prolonged disagreement in meditation I think , and this is imho,the parties will agree to arbitrate remaining isssues. Company has shown they'll do it and union has too.

My crystal ball says at the end of it all we will accept a worse agreement then what is on the table today, only 18 months from now.

I agree, at this point there is a cost to every member...it will be interesting to see where the mediator stands on the scope issues...most of the mediator's time with be dedicated to this issue...all I'm saying is that arbitration will not be an option IMO...I would love to come back and eat crow but something tells me I'll stay hungry...looking at UA and DAL I don't see a favorable outcome in a binding third party decision...
So that would leave us with two options. Reaching an agreement or have Congress impose a contract on us.
And of course the latter is after a long process. Sounds like a decent scenario for some and not so good for others.
I don't know why the IAM would be in any hurry to settle. Two, three more years with that insurance, can't blame them one iota. Our former TWU boss screwed us big time and we are still reeling.

Are you talking about the "vote no, bk is a bluff" know it alls from 2010?

After prolonged disagreement in meditation I think , and this is imho,the parties will agree to arbitrate remaining isssues. Company has shown they'll do it and union has too.

My crystal ball says at the end of it all we will accept a worse agreement then what is on the table today, only 18 months from now.
Disagree on the accepting the Arbitration from the union, they would be fools to do so. I agree that we will end up with a contract worse than we could possibly achieve today, but I'm looking at it from both a Fleet and TWU opinion.
I'm still waiting on language that stated my job would only consist of loading and unloading airplanes. DFW news is on Jetnet now and a Pilot asked about the TW/IAM negotiations.

Amen the vote No at SWA just in lost pay, and bonus cost me a minimum of $110,000 I will never get back based on my back pay, profit sharing based on what I make. Overtime as a lead what I make. But we showed the company!!!

Amen the vote No at SWA just in lost pay, and bonus cost me a minimum of $110,000 I will never get back based on my back pay, profit sharing based on what I make. Overtime as a lead what I make. But we showed the company!!!
It will be fine, the next one you vote on will be better...at least that is what I have heard in my 35 years at AA.