Arbitration

Then you go into a 30 day cooling off period, super mediation then a strike.

We at LUS M&R went on strike in 1992.

And history is on my side. The IAM and the TWU have NEVER EVER accepted the proffer of Arbitration.

Let me inform you the arbiter is not your friend.
Maybe you can inform the masses there is no way in hell the largest airline will be allowed to strike in this day and age. Nobody really cares you went on strike in 1992. You don't show up with new info, most folks know the "arbiter" is not labors friend.

Reactions: 1AA
i agree and i believe the company's motivation to get this done in mediation is the fear of a 3rd party opening them up for profit sharing.

to me, the assoc. has to hint at this if the company starts dragging it's feet/won't yield an inch with the mediator.

fine, don't give us an additional $24 million to cover all twu for the lus/iam insurance. let the arbitrator now force you to give us an additional $200 million - $350 million per year in profit sharing for 30,000 assoc. members.

thank you.
Sure Crema, we can thank arbitration for the nice Profit sharing increase, while we are at it we will be cursing him for all the outsourcing AA will achieve. We will curse him for the the unlimited part time AA is seeking. The percentage above United and or Delta would probably be nonexistent. Arbitration is no place we want to be.

Last edited:
much of this stuff are just semantics. when delta started giving raises, parker can argue his % is now off the table.

i prefer an ILC contract and being such a nice guy to the company, every single article doesn't have to be industry leading...but what the company has publicly offered, is woefully short in many articles.

to me, when the company pulled it's scope gambit prior to filing for mediation, it did so just to give that scope (minus some o/h work) back to us to look generous in front of the mediator. the company spent $150 million on a 2 bay hangar in brazil. are they going to rent that out for self car washes?

i believe that most of us feel that 3% more than ua (higher than dl fleet by dec. 2018) is not acceptable on DOS, considering our pathetic profit sharing.

to me, did the assoc. cave in? we're in mediation. the assoc. can argue they did not cave in. there's a chance they can lose lus/iam insurance AND even more scope. if that's the case, i'll take my chances with an arbitrator.
I agree with parts but still do not agree with the amount.

Sure Crema, we can thank arbitration for the nice Profit sharing increase, while we are at it we will be cursing him for all the outsourcing AA will achieve. We will curse him for the the unlimited part time AA is seeking. The percentage above United and or Delta would probably be nonexistent. Arbitration is no place we want to be.

if the company doesn't budge on anything? scope and compensation? we'll be like the lus people content or even happy with the status quo (insurance), hoping to stay in mediation to work under a bk contract?

i agree that an arbitrator could gut us more. i'm not denying that. we may fear the arbitrator, but i also believe the company does too, and we won't get there.

2 years ago, a dl ramp guy i know got $14,000+ for his profit sharing. so much, dl gave him 2 checks.

i believe many aa people don't know the actual amounts they get, they just know it's 'more than us'.

if the company doesn't budge on anything? scope and compensation? we'll be like the lus people content or even happy with the status quo (insurance), hoping to stay in mediation to work under a bk contract?

i agree that an arbitrator could gut us more. i'm not denying that. we may fear the arbitrator, but i also believe the company does too, and we won't get there.

2 years ago, a dl ramp guy i know got $14,000+ for his profit sharing. so much, dl gave him 2 checks.

i believe many aa people don't know the actual amounts they get, they just know it's 'more than us'.

The company is required by law to bargain in good faith.

If they don’t move it would be an impasse and the board would have to release the parties into a 30 day cooling off period.

the timeline as far as wages and aa/dl/ua is a bit fuzzy now..

i believe it was ua that stepped up first...munoz and the iam ripped up the previous contract and ua ramp went to high $20s/hr.

dl then gave their people a raise. for awhile, dl and ua were earning $4/hr more than us and getting bigger profit sharing checks, especially dl.

aa then gave us industry leading pay. ua signed their new 5 year deal the same year. at that time, we were around $1/hr more than delta.

now delta is getting a raise next week...and will pass us up. ua gets their contractual raise in december '18, and they will pass us and delta..

FWIW, here's the last few dates for DL:

July 2016

April 2017

October 2018

If they don’t move it would be an impasse and the board would have to release the parties into a 30 day cooling off period.

True, but what an arbiter (or the board) might consider "good faith" is likely very different from what a guy out on the flightline might think.

We all got 2 checks that year, regardless of amount.

The arbiter has zero to do with declaring an impasse or if either side is not bargaining in good faith.

That would be the NMB.

i don't understand, what amounts?
I do not agree with the Dal or UAL +3%. I would only agree to the original statement from Parker AND hold him to it at Dal or UAL +7% on the wages. This is what I was referring to about the amount statement I made.

Really? That's so funny. You say, "the company is required by law to bargain in good faith" Our company for the first 4 years did not nego. in good faith, as your co. is doing the exact same thing (by the book) at AA. We ended up filing a suit against our co. for not nego. in good faith, What will your asso. do at AA for them not nego. in good faith?? Absolutely nothing is my guess...

The arbiter has zero to do with declaring an impasse or if either side is not bargaining in good faith.

That would be the NMB.
Hey chief, What is an arbiter?? You have posted arbiter several times now. So what is an arbiter??? Pls explain...

So this JG guy comes out here on Sep 15th asking all these questions. Hmmmmm. Kinda makes you wonder WHO sent him. Just another puppet is my guess...

I would have to agree with you but surely the iam wouldn't have sent him. Because the iam would send someone that has enough knowledge to know that we are going into mediation with a mediator not into arbitration with a arbitrator.

Latest posts