Are two missing Rivets on an engine Pylon a Safety Concern?

airliner

Aug 16, 2006
CFM_Pylon.jpgCFM_Pylon1.jpg

Please see the attached pictures. Would these two missing rivets be a safety concern?

View attachment 5343View attachment 5344

Please see the attached pictures. Would these two missing rivets be a safety concern?

That is not an engine pylon. It is a flap fairing and it covers the flap tracks to reduce aerodynamic drag. It would be better to have all holes filled with a screw but in this case it is not dangerous. There are about 22 other screws holding it in place. In any other industry, there would only be four screws. In safety minded aviation- 24- just in case some nutserts get stripped or screws vibrate out.

Occasionally, this fairing is damaged by ground equipment and removed all together until maintenance can be performed at a later time.

It would be better to have all holes filled with a screw but in this case it is not dangerous.

This kind of thinking is dangerous. One can not down play the importance of this issue and I can understand why the FAA will point this out when they do a flight line walk around. These areas of the airplane are under tremendous aerodynamic stresses and require attention if something is amiss. Why are screws/rivets missing? Someone certainly did not remove them; on inspection, most likely the hole will be elongated. If these problems are not corrected, eventually there is the possibility of this part separating from the aircraft. It is true that you can leave the screw/rivet out, but only after engineering evaluates the defect and issues an ERA that states it can be done.

I wrote: "It would be better to have them filled..." where's the down play?

It is a flap canoe that has 24 remaining fasteners-how do I --or you--know whether or not somebody has hung paper on it from a passenger's photo?

Is it dangerous? h*ll no it's not dangerous.

Call engineering for an ERA for two missing screws? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It would be less humiliating to remove the canoe, and put it on MCO and restrict the airspeed!

Is it dangerous? h*ll no it's not dangerous.

Call engineering for an ERA for two missing screws? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It would be less humiliating to remove the canoe, and put it on MCO and restrict the airspeed!

Are you a "mechanic"...I mean technician?

This kind of thinking is dangerous. :shock: One can not down play the importance of this issue and I can understand why the FAA will point this out when they do a flight line walk around. :unsure: These areas of the airplane are under tremendous aerodynamic stresses and require attention if something is amiss. Why are screws/rivets missing? Someone certainly did not remove them; on inspection, most likely the hole will be elongated. If these problems are not corrected, eventually there is the possibility of this part separating from the aircraft. :eek: It is true that you can leave the screw/rivet out, but only after engineering evaluates the defect and issues an ERA that states it can be done. :mf_boff:
Then again,it may have come recently from overhaul where they were tight on their ETR and some guy stripped out two nutplates and they didn't have time to remove and repair the nutplates so they looked the other way and RTV'd a couple screws in...then you don't need no stinking EA B) .

I am a highly qualified Aircraft Mechanic capable of inspecting Aircraft,Motorcycles,Automobiles and/or Tractortrailers...in short,if it flys or rolls I can inspect it ;)

Then again,it may have come recently from overhaul where they were tight on their ETR and some guy stripped out two nutplates and they didn't have time to remove and repair the nutplates so they looked the other way and RTV'd a couple screws in...then you don't need no stinking EA B) .

I agree, this is the same knuckle dragging mentality used by mechanics when they fill a tire cut with black grease before the pilot does his walk around. Unfortunately the true professionals get lumped into the same yard crew gang image.

My, my,my. Aren't we holier than thou?

Using grease from the gear is too easy. A truly creative mechanic would slap some toilet paper with blue juice on it. Besides, some cuts are allowable.

My tickets say "mechanic".

Another one says "radiotelephone repairman with radar endorsement".

I could have guessed. The mechanics can just say they fell off after an inspection. The pilots are going to be violated for flying with missing parts not written up or repaired. Regardless of if it is a safety issue or not, the FAA will make it a safety issue.

I could have guessed. The mechanics can just say they fell off after an inspection. The pilots are going to be "violated" :mf_boff: for flying with missing parts not written up or repaired. Regardless of if it is a safety issue or not, the FAA will make it a safety issue.
Couple of tin screws doesn't make a flight safety issue....even the Fedayeen know they can pop off.

Now this might be an issue:

Couple of tin screws doesn't make a flight safety issue....even the Fedayeen know they can pop off.

Log Book Entry per delldude:

Irregularity: FAA pickup, missing screws in flap fairing.

Corrective Action: Per Fedayeen, they can pop off. No further action required.

Sign: delldude

No further action required.

Your game dude...you have no idea of me,my work ethic nor what I do regarding A/C issues...so please don't make any rash ASSumptions on your part dude....because in my arena you don't know Jack.

You know in the real world how many planes are flying right now with missing hardware?

Don't have a hissy fit when you figure out its quite a few...and i'll bet even more, there are many flying with much more severe problems right now.

And the Fedayeen are as over taxed as any other government department and can only do so much,dude :lol:

The pilots are going to be "violated :mf_boff: "for flying with missing parts not written up or repaired.
Pilots should be violated :mf_boff: from time to time... :lol:

Pilots should be violated :mf_boff: from time to time... :lol:
I love it when you talk dirty, delldude :lol:

Apparently some folks either don't know or intentionally disregard :shock: the difference between a safety issue and a routine maintenance issue.....

Jim

Apparently some folks either don't know or intentionally disregard :shock: the difference between a safety issue and a routine maintenance issue.....

Do you mean a routine maintenance issue becomes a safety issue when it is intentionally disregarded?