Are You Marty Mcfly?

Ryan

Advanced
May 13, 2003
I recently read a Stephen Hawking book called " A Brief History in Time." There were many amazing theories and facts in this book.
One such fact is that as you move away from the Earth, time actually speeds up! I won't bore you with how this happens...but trust me on it. So if you think about it that makes all pilots time travelers. We move into the future as we fly at altitude, and return to the present when we land.
Although the time difference between being on land vs being at altitude is barely noticable, even to science, it's still a pretty neat fact. In the course of your career you may age one billionth of a second more than you would with a non-flying job.
So the next time someone asks where your flight will take you today you can honestly say, " I'm going back...back to the future!"

that explains why, we as regular humans sitting on the earths crust, neither high, nor low, seem to be at a standstill in time. Not moving ahead, not falling behind.

Just take a close look at yourself tommorrow at work, you'll see what I mean about time standing still.... :blink:

After 19 years at my current employer I know all about standinig still.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Everytime I hear/see a 204/205/206/S61/S76 or AII/AIII I go back in time :eek: We are without a doubt the greates reclyclers in hte world.

BTW when is the last time any of you used or owned a 1968 TV, Fridge, bed, telephone or car? :up:

Time travel is possible.
How many of us have aged about 20 years in about 1 or 2 fascinating seconds. :shock:
Added a couple of hours to the airframe too.
Whats that old saying "I fly all year for free and earn my pay in about 20 seconds and would be willing to give it all back,with interest, not to be there at the time!"? :D
Have a good week, fly safe.

Ryan,

Editing due to my failure to take gravity into account. (Einstein did it, too, that's why there are Special and General Theories of Relativity)
We age faster at altitude due to increased distance from a massive body, and no I'm not talking about a big boned girlfriend/boyfriend as the case may be. The rate at which time passes is also dependent on velocity relative to a fixed frame of reference, (faster velocity = slower passage of time) leading to the Twins Paradox. Therefore, pilots probably age more slowly than people on the ground once everything is taken into account, but helicopter pilots age more quickly than fixed wing pilots, and bush pilots age more quickly than airline pilots due to their velocities. A fact that I think would be borne out by comparing the number of grey hairs on each group... The key is the speed of light, and how close you can get to it.

Your reference to time changing due to distance from a massive body reminds me of one of the 'Red Dwarf' series of books in which a spacecraft ends up in a black hole and by some miracle everyone survives, but time passes at such crazy speeds that walking from one end of the ship to the other takes a few minutes for the person walking, but the person waiting on the bridge has a week pass before the walker arrives. :wacko:

I love Red Dwarf! Sounds like you read that book too... I forgot all about the Twin's Paradox. I have to stop thinking about this stuff...my brain is starting to hurt again.

Back