Article 4 Industry Comparable Pay rate

Chuck Schalk

Veteran
Nov 17, 2006
TWU Article 4-  Industry Comparable pay rate

For AMT’s, Crew Chiefs, Tech Crew Chiefs and Inspectors: At September 12, 2012+36 months, a calculation will be made to determine the maximum regular hourly pay rate (i.e., base pay plus all relevant premiums) of the line mechanics at Delta, United, and US Airways in effect on that date

Current "ALL IN" rates: (Approx) but close enough

US Airways:   $34.25

AA:    $36.25

Delta:  $38.50

$34.25 + $36.25 + $38.50 = $36.33 industry Average   (we get nothing)

so much for the great TWU negotiation skills and selling this as a reason to vote" yes"

"HAD ENOUGH YET"       sign an AMFA CARD

Maybe if Chuck included United, it would show us getting a measley raise. More than likely, it's just an honest mistake he forgot United.

Chuck Schalk said:

For AMT’s, Crew Chiefs, Tech Crew Chiefs and Inspectors: At September 12, 2012+36 months, a calculation will be made to determine the maximum regular hourly pay rate (i.e., base pay plus all relevant premiums) of the line mechanics at Delta, United, and US Airways in effect on that date

United $38.00

so much for the great TWU negotiation skills and selling this as a reason to vote" yes"

My bad:  $34.25 + $36.25 + $38,50 + $38.00= $36.75    Industry Average (just about nothing)

Reactions: 1 person
Chuck Schalk said:

United $38.00

My bad:  $34.25 + $36.25 + $38,50 + $38.00= $36.75    Industry Average (just about nothing)

This is correct right NOW. But the comparison will be made effective 9/12/2015....Hopefully United will have settled by then which would be followed by a Delta raise.
Keep in mind also that whatever the increase adjustment, it will INCLUDE the annual 3% contractual increase.

Once again, Chuck brings to our attention a 'benefit' that the TWBoo endorsed that most likely will fail to bear us fruit. 
The following is a wage adjustment that was provided to AMFA represented Mechanics at Alaska Air on Sept 30 of last year. History shows us that the Association has a record of being at the forefront of implementing many of these new ideas. A previous example can be found in an Ozark Airlines contract in the mid 1960's when AMFA provided Aircraft Mechanics the first license premium. This is the type of 'thinking outside the box' we can expect from AMFA. 

After averaging eight mechanic wages, the second step was applied:
"We then went onto the internal review process due to the fact that Alaska negotiated a new Contract for one of the other labor groups on the property in the past twelve months. We are required to look at where our co-workers in the other labor groups rank compared to their peers. The rankings of the other labor groups are as follows: Pilots (ALPA) third, Flight Attendants (AFA) third, Dispatchers (TWU) third, RSA (IAM) second, COPS (IAM) third. This puts the average ranking of the other labor groups on the property at 2.83 as compared to their peers in the industry. Due to the fact our 1.5% base wage increase only puts us at the number four position we determined that an additional increase of 2.8% would be required to place us at the same relative position as our Alaska Airlines peers. This resulted in a total increase on base pay rates of 4.3% to all steps of the scale to become effective today. This increase brings our top of scale Alaska Airlines Technicians to the number three position with an all-in rate of $38.14."
You will see the formula afforded to the Alaska Mechanics is superior to what we have. This wasn't just to bring them to average as can be seen by the 1.5% guarantee, but the additional step to average out the work groups at the company to their peers at other airlines was a home run for the Mechanic group.
http://www.amfanational.com/index.cfm

JABORD said:
Once again, Chuck brings to our attention a 'benefit' that the TWBoo endorsed that most likely will fail to bear us fruit. 
The following is a wage adjustment that was provided to AMFA represented Mechanics at Alaska Air on Sept 30 of last year. History shows us that the Association has a record of being at the forefront of implementing many of these new ideas. A previous example can be found in an Ozark Airlines contract in the mid 1960's when AMFA provided Aircraft Mechanics the first license premium. This is the type of 'thinking outside the box' we can expect from AMFA. 

After averaging eight mechanic wages, the second step was applied:
"We then went onto the internal review process due to the fact that Alaska negotiated a new Contract for one of the other labor groups on the property in the past twelve months. We are required to look at where our co-workers in the other labor groups rank compared to their peers. The rankings of the other labor groups are as follows: Pilots (ALPA) third, Flight Attendants (AFA) third, Dispatchers (TWU) third, RSA (IAM) second, COPS (IAM) third. This puts the average ranking of the other labor groups on the property at 2.83 as compared to their peers in the industry. Due to the fact our 1.5% base wage increase only puts us at the number four position we determined that an additional increase of 2.8% would be required to place us at the same relative position as our Alaska Airlines peers. This resulted in a total increase on base pay rates of 4.3% to all steps of the scale to become effective today. This increase brings our top of scale Alaska Airlines Technicians to the number three position with an all-in rate of $38.14."
You will see the formula afforded to the Alaska Mechanics is superior to what we have. This wasn't just to bring them to average as can be seen by the 1.5% guarantee, but the additional step to average out the work groups at the company to their peers at other airlines was a home run for the Mechanic group.
http://www.amfanational.com/index.cfm

700UW said:
How is posting what actually has happened tit for tat?
Back on topic, need I remind you how the IAM contract makes up 25% of the most negative of our wage adjustment?
cred·i·bil·i·ty
ˌkredəˈbilitē/
noun
noun: credibility
the quality of being trusted and believed in.
I'm sure it's harder to get back once you've lost it but don't give up. :blush:

Reactions: 2 people
Chuck Schalk said:

So the IBT and the IAM not doing well at the bargaining table is the TWU's fault? DL AMTs not wanting AMFA negotiating a killer contract for them is the TWU's fault? If they negotiate a better rate then we are protected in that we keep up with the industry average as opposed to falling way behind under BK contracts like those negotiated by AMFA at UA or the IAM at US. That's a good thing Chuck.

Overspeed said:

So the IBT and the IAM not doing well at the bargaining table is the TWU's fault? DL AMTs not wanting AMFA negotiating a killer contract for them is the TWU's fault? If they negotiate a better rate then we are protected in that we keep up with the industry average as opposed to falling way behind under BK contracts like those negotiated by AMFA at UA or the IAM at US. That's a good thing Chuck.
The comparable wages was sold for votes and as of right now we get nothing. Just like we were sold on medical for life, saving the pension, saving jobs, supplemental medical and a job for life with system protection all were sold for TWU concessions and what do we have now?  none of them and soon will be little to no raise in 2015.  We have been suckered into a shell game and we lost again.   Just review everything since 1995 till now, i will spare repeatingf myself.

Reactions: 6 people
Chuck Schalk said:
The comparable wages was sold for votes and as of right now we get nothing. Just like we were sold on medical for life, saving the pension, saving jobs, supplemental medical and a job for life with system protection all were sold for TWU concessions and what do we have now?  none of them and soon will be little to no raise in 2015.  We have been suckered into a shell game and we lost again.   Just review everything since 1995 till now, i will spare repeatingf myself.
where is the great powerfull AFL/CIO helping UA and US???

Another thing sold to the TWU members that they are part of the AFL/CIO and the only thing the AFL/CIO spent time and money on was help against the AMFA drive. The AFL/CIO is non-existant in our time of need....Bankruptcy or negotiations

I guess they are OK with the degredation of our careers

Reactions: 6 people
Chuck Schalk said:
where is the great powerfull AFL/CIO helping UA and US???

Another thing sold to the TWU members that they are part of the AFL/CIO and the only thing the AFL/CIO spent time and money on was help against the AMFA drive. The AFL/CIO is non-existant in our time of need....Bankruptcy or negotiations

I guess they are OK with the degredation of our careers
Correct as long as the dues keep flowing.

Where the hell is the compare to SWA's pay and bennies?  Why is it all compared to legacies?  I will tell you why, It's because your employers do not want to no longer compare to SWA as they do for the savings in the past as they have always compared to.  Record profits from all airlines, except for UAL and JB, why not compare the wages to all other top profit making airlines?  Matter fact we (SWA mechs) will in fact use the UPS contract to compare for us just as our dispatchers did with their contract.  Hell, they fly packages, we fly humans, we should in fact get paid more than UPS!!!
Do the numbers guys, do the numbers...

swamt said:
Where the hell is the compare to SWA's pay and bennies?  Why is it all compared to legacies?  I will tell you why, It's because your employers do not want to no longer compare to SWA as they do for the savings in the past as they have always compared to.  Record profits from all airlines, except for UAL and JB, why not compare the wages to all other top profit making airlines?  Matter fact we (SWA mechs) will in fact use the UPS contract to compare for us just as our dispatchers did with their contract.  Hell, they fly packages, we fly humans, we should in fact get paid more than UPS!!!

Why stop there, let us not forget the AMTs at Fed Ex or even Jet Blue. This is because the TWU; year over year, has allowed AA management dictate what air carriers the AA AMTs should be comparing their pay and benefits to. Always allowing management's twisted rationale prevail during contract talks.

swamt said:
The AA negotiators used the Jedi mind trick on our Jimmy Little every time it was brought up.
AA
"They have a different business model Jimmy"
Waive of their hand.
Jimmy
"Oh they have a different business model, We shouldn't include them"..

swamt said:

You're right. You have to compare total cost of contract. Parker would gladly bring AMFA's industry leading outsourcing contract over to AA in exchange for higher pay for those that remain. It would be a big win for him to get an AMFA contract at AA.